Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit discussion
Closed Thread

Old 14-09-2017, 21:41   #76
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Wouldn't take any notice of Dyson, his vacuums are expensive 'must haves' that everyone can replicate now for a fraction of the price.

You sure about that as some of the other makes are crap IMO as you get what you pay for l always say.
Old 14-09-2017, 21:41   #77
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Would be no big deal according a leading British businessman and inventor, Sir James Dyson.... He claims Europe is a declining part of world trade....

http://news.sky.com/story/uk-should-...dyson-11034559
No, you're wrong, he's wrong, everyone who disagrees is wrong. The EU is going from strength to strength according to Juncker and his ilk and it's patently obvious. There are no structural problems, no skeletons in the EU cupboard, no potential conflict with Russia. We just need to realise that it's all tickety boo over there and we'd be mad not to stay part of the Brussels fan club. All the problems lie within the UK and which will suffer forever more when we leave their warm, cuddly, generous embrace. Our only hope of salvation is the EU...
Old 14-09-2017, 21:42   #78
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You sure about that as some of the other makes are crap IMO as you get what you pay for l always say.
Usually said by those that have overpaid for a brand name
Old 14-09-2017, 21:43   #79
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I wouldn't take any notice of that because Bosch, Miele and Siemens aren't overpriced brand names...
Old 14-09-2017, 21:44   #80
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Usually said by those that have overpaid for a brand name
What is your definition of overpaying Mr K?.
Old 14-09-2017, 21:49   #81
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
What is your definition of overpaying Mr K?.
Well anything that is the same as another product but has a different name and costs more Den !
Old 14-09-2017, 22:06   #82
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Wouldn't take any notice of Dyson, his vacuums are expensive 'must haves' that everyone can replicate now for a fraction of the price.
I trust a successful billionaire who knows the world markets better than you do, I would think it was his duty to sustain his business entity. Besides, if he says Europe trade is in decline, he would know that if he is doing better trade with the Far East. 80 to 90 % is a massive difference to just 12% within the EU.

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Quote:
Well anything that is the same as another product but has a different name and costs more Den !
They are not the same. The technology within them is patent protected and Dyson has robustly defended his products from being copied.
Old 14-09-2017, 22:09   #83
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I realise this is gradually moving in a non Brexit discussion direction, but seeing as we're discussing hoovers, my experience of (two) Dysons has not been good and you don't get what you pay for with Dyson. Great for the first few months but then you have to take the ruddy complicated things apart on a regular basis to remove all sorts of junk wedged inside them to get any semblance of performance.
Old 14-09-2017, 22:10   #84
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
I trust a successful billionaire who knows the world markets better than you do, I would think it was his duty to sustain his business entity. Besides, if he says Europe trade is in decline, he would know that if he is doing better trade with the Far East. 80 to 90 % is a massive difference to just 12% within the EU.

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

They are not the same. The technology within them is patent protected and Dyson has robustly defended his products from being copied.
Can only say as i find Mick. Had a Dyson, it broke down just out of warranty. Bought a Vax for the fraction of the price, cleans better and has lasted years.
Old 14-09-2017, 22:16   #85
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
I realise this is gradually moving in a non Brexit discussion direction, but seeing as we're discussing hoovers, my experience of (two) Dysons has not been good and you don't get what you pay for with Dyson. Great for the first few months but then you have to take the ruddy complicated things apart on a regular basis to remove all sorts of junk wedged inside them to get any semblance of performance.
I see where it is going. Hardline remainers just cannot get behind brexit if they died trying. So they then attempt to mock Dyson products to some how discredit his view on Brexit. Not going to work with me. Dyson is an intelligent guy. A successful entrepreneur.

Bottom line is. We will be better out.
Old 14-09-2017, 22:18   #86
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I read that the EU membership fee we pay each year, is equivalent to 7% in a trade tariff fee with the EU, outside customs union.

Once we leave and are outside the customs union, we would expect to be charged and pay around 2.5% in trade tariff revenues. The article said, the membership of the EU, along with it's hefty fee compared paying just 2.5% in revenues, is the biggest case of mis-selling that dwarfs the banking PPI scandal. If I can find the article I will link to it.
I look forward to the link and like others will maintain my healhy sceptical view until such a time.
The most important thing for the UK is service industries which account for 80% of our exports. These require common standards and freedom of movement helps too. Tariffs are less important. Hence this is a key predicament that the UK faces post-Brexit which is currently sitting in David Davis's too-difficult pile.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 14-09-2017 at 22:21.
Old 14-09-2017, 22:23   #87
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Can only say as i find Mick. Had a Dyson, it broke down just out of warranty. Bought a Vax for the fraction of the price, cleans better and has lasted years.
Strange because my vax cleaner broke within a few times of using it, it got took right back. Each to their own I guess. None of this talk on product quality nullifies Dysons views on world trade and I said I trust his views on world trade over yours any day.
Old 14-09-2017, 22:32   #88
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I see where it is going. Hardline remainers just cannot get behind brexit if they died trying. So they then attempt to mock Dyson products to some how discredit his view on Brexit. Not going to work with me. Dyson is an intelligent guy. A successful entrepreneur.

Bottom line is. We will be better out.
It's got zero to do with Brexit from my perspective ! I didn't start the hoover debate.
I'm just stating my own experience with his hoovers as others had, if you think i have an agenda on this issue then you're getting a bit touchy.
I don't like Vax hoovers for the same reason either and I have no idea what allegiance "Mr Vax" has.
Old 14-09-2017, 22:37   #89
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Can we have a separate vacuum cleaner thread ? There are many issues to discuss, what's wrong with a dustpan and broom for example ?
Old 14-09-2017, 22:41   #90
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
It's got zero to do with Brexit from my perspective ! I didn't start the hoover debate.
I'm just stating my own experience with his hoovers as others had, if you think i have an agenda on this issue then you're getting a bit touchy.
I don't like Vax hoovers for the same reason either and I have no idea what allegiance "Mr Vax" has.
I did not bring 'hoovers' in to the debate. I brought Sir James Dyson views on Brexit in to this debate. I think it was Mr K who then started his assault on his actual Hoovers.

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Quote:
Can we have a separate vacuum cleaner thread ? There are many issues to discuss, what's wrong with a dustpan and broom for example ?
I prefer the old dust pan and still use them, given I don't have carpets downstairs.
Closed Thread