Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2021, 21:10   #631
Legendkiller2k
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Jupiter
Services: Plusnet fibre 80mbs, plusnet tv with bt sport,skyq with cinema and signature and netflix,hulu, kodi
Posts: 683
Legendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud of
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Netflix, Amazon, Discovery+, Disney+ - hell, jf man, you can do your own research.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2020...to-bear-fruit/
Tbf if you want all streaming services on one device you'd be better of investing in a mini pc or windows stick.
I say those as ROKU, Firetv, android tv do have one or two missing aka shield missing nowtv, firetv missing peacock (USA only) but some in UK use it, Roku missing HBOMAX (USA) a mini pc can be got for as little as £100 if you only want it to watch streaming services.
__________________
Destiny is not set but what we make.
Legendkiller2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2021, 22:14   #632
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,614
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Tbf if you want all streaming services on one device you'd be better of investing in a mini pc or windows stick.
I say those as ROKU, Firetv, android tv do have one or two missing aka shield missing nowtv, firetv missing peacock (USA only) but some in UK use it, Roku missing HBOMAX (USA) a mini pc can be got for as little as £100 if you only want it to watch streaming services.
The problem for OB isnít the availability of device but he wants existing pay-tv providers to fund their competitors and also promote them to the top of the EPG!

Inherently unlikely.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 00:02   #633
Legendkiller2k
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Jupiter
Services: Plusnet fibre 80mbs, plusnet tv with bt sport,skyq with cinema and signature and netflix,hulu, kodi
Posts: 683
Legendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud of
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The problem for OB isnít the availability of device but he wants existing pay-tv providers to fund their competitors and also promote them to the top of the EPG!

Inherently unlikely.
As someone who deals with providers i can confirm that will never happen it would not be financially suitable, not to mention deals are already in place for EPG numbers the channels there pay a lot of money for their EPG spot.
__________________
Destiny is not set but what we make.
Legendkiller2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:14   #634
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,487
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Netflix, Amazon, Discovery+, Disney+ - hell, jf man, you can do your own research.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2020...to-bear-fruit/
Sky customers also have the added benefit of free Discovery + and heavily discounted Netflix (last time I looked it was something daft like £2 a month with a free upgrade to 4K for 4K customers).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:35   #635
OLD BOY
Rise above the players
 
OLD BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now TV, Amazon, Netflix, Starzplay, Apple TV; Discovery +, VM broadban
Posts: 11,994
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The problem for OB isnít the availability of device but he wants existing pay-tv providers to fund their competitors and also promote them to the top of the EPG!

Inherently unlikely.
That's your argument, not mine.

Anyhow, there won't even be an EPG in the future, so I don't see how VM will be able to compete with Sky on the TV side without becoming a super-aggregator, which is what John Malone was aiming for at one point.

Despite a late start, Sky has got this message and now offers all the main streaming services. Your apparent belief the VM cannot do this for the reasons you have given is shown up for the nonsense it is by the fact that Sky is already doing it!
__________________
Forumbox.co.uk
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:34   #636
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 64
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 37,049
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Enough of the bickering - back on topic, please.
__________________
There is always light.
If only weíre brave enough to see it.
If only weíre brave enough to be it
.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:57   #637
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster
 
cheekyangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,733
cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's your argument, not mine.

Anyhow, there won't even be an EPG in the future, so I don't see how VM will be able to compete with Sky on the TV side without becoming a super-aggregator, which is what John Malone was aiming for at one point.

Despite a late start, Sky has got this message and now offers all the main streaming services. Your apparent belief the VM cannot do this for the reasons you have given is shown up for the nonsense it is by the fact that Sky is already doing it!
There will always be Live content so there will always be a need for an EPG, or equivalent of, even if it's just for a handful of Live-content-only channels.

Virtually all prerecorded programming will eventually be on-demand, possibly maybe a few shows will be used to fill short gaps in Live channels.

There might even be a few genre-themed and/or provider-authored channels for trailers. My argument is that some people might find it helpful to have something they can turn to to know what's available on the various on-demand services. These would likely be automatically compiled streams rather than broadcast. The Live-content channels will remain broadcast until lag is sorted, possibly longer as there will probably be reasons that aren't obvious to us end-users for broadcast continuing.

Something being streamed rather than broadcast doesn't mean channels will disappear, it doesn't stop being a channel because it's delivered differently, Live-content will require navigating, and comparing side-by-side so the viewer can decide which, if any, Live content to watch, so a grid guide system of some sort for Live content will likely continue. But awful navigation has never stopped stopped a service being a success, just look at Facebook.

Given EPG stands for Electronic Programme Guide and those words could describe the interface to every existing VOD service, maybe the term EPG will simply be redefined. If we were looking for a more accurate name for what is currently called an EPG we would probably call it an Electronic Channel Schedule instead.

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Enough of the bickering - back on topic, please.
Sorry Hugh, you posted as I was typing/composing.

On-topic. I've not noticed Colors Gujarati stream on Digital Bit Rate yet, despite it supposedly launching on VM soon.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:27   #638
Legendkiller2k
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Jupiter
Services: Plusnet fibre 80mbs, plusnet tv with bt sport,skyq with cinema and signature and netflix,hulu, kodi
Posts: 683
Legendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud of
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Sky customers also have the added benefit of free Discovery + and heavily discounted Netflix (last time I looked it was something daft like £2 a month with a free upgrade to 4K for 4K customers).
It's not Netflix is £5p/m and HD and UHD is a extra £11p/m.
__________________
Destiny is not set but what we make.
Legendkiller2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:05   #639
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster
 
cheekyangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,733
cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
On-topic. I've not noticed Colors Gujarati stream on Digital Bit Rate yet, despite it supposedly launching on VM soon.
Probably should've looked on the bloomin' EPG.

Colors Gujarati is now on Channel 825.

Must've been added just after the DBR scan I looked at.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:59   #640
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,487
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
It's not Netflix is £5p/m and HD and UHD is a extra £11p/m.
AIUI if you pay for UHD you get also get Netflix in UHD too at no extra cost.

The cost of Netflix via Sky seems to vary, it was £2 last time I looked on Black Friday. It does always appear to be cheaper than subscribing via Netflix directly though.

Given that Disney+ talks appear to have stalled with VM over them wanting a bigger cut from Disney, I wonder how Sky can offer their customers Netflix at a lower cost than Netflix themselves. Maybe it's a similar set up as VM have with BT Sport??

Rather than burying their heads in the sand, Sky seem to be embracing the streamers by obtaining good deals for their customers and viewing them as another income stream.

By having them discounted or free on the Sky STB I imagine that their thinking is that customers are less likely to subscribe to a streamer directly and be tempted to cancel Sky. Probably a more sensible approach as the streamers aren't simply going to go away.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 13:02   #641
Legendkiller2k
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Jupiter
Services: Plusnet fibre 80mbs, plusnet tv with bt sport,skyq with cinema and signature and netflix,hulu, kodi
Posts: 683
Legendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud of
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
AIUI if you pay for UHD you get also get Netflix in UHD too at no extra cost.

The cost of Netflix via Sky seems to vary, it was £2 last time I looked on Black Friday. It does always appear to be cheaper than subscribing via Netflix directly.

Given that Disney+ talks appear to have stalled with VM over them wanting a bigger cut from Disney, I wonder how Sky can offer their customers Netflix at a lower cost than Netflix themselves. Maybe it's a similar set up as VM have with BT Sport??

Rather than burying their heads in the sand, Sky seem to be embracing the streamers by obtaining good deals for their customers and viewing them as another income stream.

By having them discounted or free on the Sky STB I imagine that their thinking is that customers are less likely to subscribe to a streamer directly and be tempted to cancel Sky. Probably a more sensible approach as the streamers aren't simply going to go away.
I pay £4p/m for Netflix uhd with work arounds
In the office we suspect Discovery will be next to start leaving pay tv platforms and being exclusive to Discovery+ won't happen for awhile as contracts still have quite a bit to run yet.
UKTV are another one to watch been talks about their pay channels being added to UKTVPlay for a small monthly fee.
__________________
Destiny is not set but what we make.
Legendkiller2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 13:25   #642
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,487
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
I pay £4p/m for Netflix uhd with work arounds
In the office we suspect Discovery will be next to start leaving pay tv platforms and being exclusive to Discovery+ won't happen for awhile as contracts still have quite a bit to run yet.
UKTV are another one to watch been talks about their pay channels being added to UKTVPlay for a small monthly fee.
I think you're right Re: Discovery. Two or three years ago I was privy to a document that showed that the ultimate aim of Discovery was to put everything onto their streaming service and keep only one linear channel to showcase their content.

I wonder if the shares that Malone has been building up in Discovery will have any affect on the Discovery linear channels leaving VM? Probably not given the merger with O2.

Do you know if the UKTV plan is to complement their linear pay channels or replace them? I'm assuming that their FTA linear channels will be unaffected??

It really does seem to be a growing trend for broadcasters to cut out the middle man and retail directly to consumers via streaming apps. Another reason why Sky seem to have taken the sensible approach by embracing them and making the emerging situation work for them as best they can.

In time I can see the pay TV platforms being given no choice but to offer their pay TV element via apps. Instead of packs we could see discounted bundles being offered according to how many apps a person subscribes to.

I doubt this will be as profitable for them; maybe this is why Murdoch sold Sky before the company lost value because of this??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 13:57   #643
Legendkiller2k
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Jupiter
Services: Plusnet fibre 80mbs, plusnet tv with bt sport,skyq with cinema and signature and netflix,hulu, kodi
Posts: 683
Legendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud ofLegendkiller2k has much to be proud of
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I think you're right Re: Discovery. Two or three years ago I was privy to a document that showed that the ultimate aim of Discovery was to put everything onto their streaming service and keep only one linear channel to showcase their content.

I wonder if the shares that Malone has been building up in Discovery will have any affect on the Discovery linear channels leaving VM? Probably not given the merger with O2.

Do you know if the UKTV plan is to complement their linear pay channels or replace them? I'm assuming that their FTA linear channels will be unaffected??

It really does seem to be a growing trend for broadcasters to cut out the middle man and retail directly to consumers via streaming apps. Another reason why Sky seem to have taken the sensible approach by embracing them and making the emerging situation work for them as best they can.

In time I can see the pay TV platforms being given no choice but to offer their pay TV element via apps. Instead of packs we could see discounted bundles being offered according to how many apps a person subscribes to.

I doubt this will be as profitable for them; maybe this is why Murdoch sold Sky before the company lost value because of this??
Atm UKTV would probably offer them on UKTVPlay as a alternative so still keeping a good relationship with VM and SKY whilst they build their pay model on UKTVPlay.

Viacom will be another one would think as they roll out Paramount plus to more markets, i'm off work for rest of week so wouldn't get anything concrete until i return to work (if anything develops).
__________________
Destiny is not set but what we make.
Legendkiller2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 14:38   #644
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,487
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Atm UKTV would probably offer them on UKTVPlay as a alternative so still keeping a good relationship with VM and SKY whilst they build their pay model on UKTVPlay.

Viacom will be another one would think as they roll out Paramount plus to more markets, i'm off work for rest of week so wouldn't get anything concrete until i return to work (if anything develops).
Okidoki.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 16:06   #645
epsilon
cf.member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 57
epsilon will become famous soon enoughepsilon will become famous soon enoughepsilon will become famous soon enough
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
UKTV are another one to watch been talks about their pay channels being added to UKTVPlay for a small monthly fee.
That could be useful if they fail to reach a carriage agreement with Virgin next time. I don't know how well this would work other than for linear channels and catch up. BBC Studios can make their archive content available via BritBox and maybe shouldn't need an additional svod streaming service.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 13 (6 members and 7 guests)
Legendkiller2k, Deceptive, railpulley, PAULRYAN52, Pdman
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:25.


Server: curium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.