Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 22-05-2021, 11:16   #511
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You may have missed the point*….

*streaming is the future, linear TV (including recording linear TV programmes) is dying….
Why is it that some of you guys can't tell the difference between what we have now and what will be in the future?
Old 22-05-2021, 11:24   #512
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Why is it that some of you guys can't tell the difference between what we have now and what will be in the future?
Why is it some of you guys can’t use streaming now when it’s an option when you say that linear is dying - why don’t you practice what you preach to others?

Or is possible that in the future, like now, it will be a mixture of streaming and linear, because that’s what’s convenient and what people want?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 22-05-2021 at 12:35.
Old 22-05-2021, 11:56   #513
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Do you guys how pathetically this sounds?

I’m sorry, just play your games with others of same minds! I’m just conversation with normal people
A glass too many there, perhaps OB?

I think it's interesting to understand what the limitations of streaming TV are and it's good information that Hugh has provided us with. I was happy to accept that it took hours to upload live programmes to on-demand but it's interesting to see how long this takes.

Hopefully, this will encourage you and others to let go of linear and watch your news on-demand.
Old 22-05-2021, 13:32   #514
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Why is it some of you guys can’t use streaming now when it’s an option when you say that linear is dying - why don’t you practice what you preach to others?

Or is possible that in the future, like now, it will be a mixture of streaming and linear, because that’s what’s convenient and what people want?
Well, I do stream live programmes from the i-Player quite frequently. I always watch Andrew Marr and Prime Minister’s Questions that way. As I have explained, there is a delay of a few hours in uploading programmes that have already ended on the i-Player, which is why I record it.

Anyhow, it is nothing to do with this debate how I or anyone else organises their viewing. It is already self-evident that channels have been closing recently - with more to come - and the content transferred to streamers.

It will be interesting to see how Virgin and Sky respond to this continuing trend as it takes hold, but I suspect we will be presented with bouquets of streamers and players price packaged as the TV channels currently are, with a much wider choice of streamers available.

An alternative view might be that Virgin will abandon the TV side of the business, recognising that modern connected TVs already offer more streamers than they do.

Losing channels such as Fox will diminish the TV offerings available and will make people less enthusiastic about subscribing to pay TV via linear channels. Apparently, National Geographic will disappear from the TV channel line-up within the year as well. What will replace these channels as they are taken off, one by one and batch by batch?
Old 22-05-2021, 13:45   #515
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well, I do stream live programmes from the i-Player quite frequently. I always watch Andrew Marr and Prime Minister’s Questions that way. As I have explained, there is a delay of a few hours in uploading programmes that have already ended on the i-Player, which is why I record it.
Heady viewing! Steady on OB ....
I recommend Gardener's World, much more exciting, and it has well rotted manure instead of fresh
Old 22-05-2021, 13:55   #516
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Anyhow, it is nothing to do with this debate how I or anyone else organises their viewing. It is already self-evident that channels have been closing recently - with more to come - and the content transferred to streamers.

It will be interesting to see how Virgin and Sky respond to this continuing trend as it takes hold, but I suspect we will be presented with bouquets of streamers and players price packaged as the TV channels currently are, with a much wider choice of streamers available.

An alternative view might be that Virgin will abandon the TV side of the business, recognising that modern connected TVs already offer more streamers than they do.

Losing channels such as Fox will diminish the TV offerings available and will make people less enthusiastic about subscribing to pay TV via linear channels. Apparently, National Geographic will disappear from the TV channel line-up within the year as well. What will replace these channels as they are taken off, one by one and batch by batch?
Quote:
You sure?

BBC2 Gardeners World (9pm - 10pm) and This Time With Alan Partridge (BBC1 9:30pm - 10pm) are both available now on BBC iPlayer, at 10:10pm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
From 10.00pm-10.30pm it's available on re-start.

So it's only unavailable for 23 minutes from 10.30pm to 10.53pm, not hours.
No, there isn’t…
Old 22-05-2021, 23:37   #517
locutus1974
cf.member

Services: virginmedia TV XL,1 tb tivo, v box in another room, Phone Large, BB large (30) pay as u go mobil
locutus1974 is on a distinguished roadlocutus1974 is on a distinguished road

will be interesting to see what happens after the Virginmedia and 02 (telefonica) merger. I spoke to someone that works for the telefonica side of 02 and apparently the first thing they want to invest in is the cable infrastructure for the broadband fibreoptic expansion.
Old 23-05-2021, 01:46   #518
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
No, there isn’t…
Actually, I think you may be right, but it has not always been so. I have previously tried to access programmes via the i-player only to discover that it is ‘not available’ and it has not appeared for a few hours.

Clearly, if I can watch the news bulletin as soon as it has been broadcast, and also after the broadcast has stopped, that will be an advantage above making a recording.

Thank you for the heads up, although I think you only posted this to be spiteful.
Old 23-05-2021, 09:42   #519
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

No, I posted it to be informative - you shouldn't "project"...
Old 23-05-2021, 11:30   #520
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Clearly, if I can watch the news bulletin as soon as it has been broadcast, and also after the broadcast has stopped, that will be an advantage above making a recording.
Why would it be an advantage?
Old 23-05-2021, 11:38   #521
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
No, I posted it to be informative - you shouldn't "project"...
Pointing out how quickly a TV programme is uploaded by replying to a previous post containg outdated information is what forums are all about. Everyone benefits from the knowledge, not just the original poster.

I don't watch many programmes live these days (apart from live events) so I was surprised to see Old Boy mentioning a period of hours before they were available. As a strong advocate of streaming, Old Boy was the last person that I'd think of recording programmess, so this action felt out of character.

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
There's a 20-minute gap from 10.31 to 10.51 when News at Ten can't be watched on-demand or via restart but can be watched if you record it.

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus1974 View Post
will be interesting to see what happens after the Virginmedia and 02 (telefonica) merger. I spoke to someone that works for the telefonica side of 02 and apparently the first thing they want to invest in is the cable infrastructure for the broadband fibreoptic expansion.
There's nothing to stop that happening at the moment.
Interest rates are at record lows (borrowing will be the way expansion is paid for) so whilst it would be great to see more expansion, I don't think that the business case changes due to the merger.
Old 23-05-2021, 13:05   #522
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
There's a 20-minute gap from 10.31 to 10.51 when News at Ten can't be watched on-demand or via restart but can be watched if you record it.
Yes, but OB said "that will be an advantage above making a recording". I took that to mean he was hypothesising that if the stream was immediately available after transmission, that would give an advantage over recording it. I was wondering what that advantage would be.
Old 23-05-2021, 13:16   #523
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, but OB said "that will be an advantage above making a recording". I took that to mean he was hypothesising that if the stream was immediately available after transmission, that would give an advantage over recording it. I was wondering what that advantage would be.
Climate change from all those hard disks
Old 23-05-2021, 23:13   #524
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Because there’s limited space on the hard drive.
Old 23-05-2021, 23:17   #525
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Because there’s limited space on the hard drive.
Just despair about what life will be like without one. Losing access to movies and series due to contractual disputes before getting the chance to watch them.
Closed Thread