Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V6 turn on all by itself

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

V6 turn on all by itself

Old 26-05-2021, 15:18   #1
ultimate
cf.geek

Services: 200Mb,TV FH V6 and Phone
ultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the rough
V6 turn on all by itself

I only notice this recently. I always switch the V6 off before to before I go to bed. When I return to the lounge around lunch time, the V6 is on already, this happens may be 3 - 4 times in a week. Why is this happening? Shall it leave it on all the time?
ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2021, 15:29   #2
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: V6 turn on all by itself

Check your power savings setting on the V6. If you don't use the remote it can put itself to sleep and wake for recordings (or not).
Old 26-05-2021, 16:06   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Very occasionally the V6 will come on to do updates, but not 3 or 4 times a week. Also V6 doesn't visibly power on to do recordings while in standby, so I think that can be ruled out.

I suspect it is picking up some stray IR noise in the room that is causing it to come out of standby. As long as your remote control is paired to the box, you can completely block the IR receiver on the box to eliminate any problem like this. It's in the shiny panel on the front - just block it with a piece of card or similar.

It would also be worth enabling auto power-saving, so it eventually goes back into standby in the event of something waking it.

Last edited by spiderplant; 26-05-2021 at 16:47.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 16:18   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I though the V6 used radio not infra red?
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 16:46   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

It uses both. Its better to use RF for the remote, but will respond to IR (and the V6 remote will also sent IR if the RF pairing failed)
Old 28-05-2021, 21:54   #6
ultimate
cf.geek

ultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for all your information, I have set the V6 to auto shut down after 4 hours.
Old 29-05-2021, 11:18   #7
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

If that doesn't work, check the batteries in your remote control.
Old 03-07-2021, 21:06   #8
ultimate
cf.geek

I have some updates.

The "turning itself on" is really a reboot, the V6 has been rebooting all the time. Called VM and they improved the wiring and then swapped my V6 for a new one. Still it kept on rebooting. Finally the VM Tech consulted with his tech guy who suggested I use a different HDMI port. Cured the whole problem. The reason I had to use that HDMI port because it is a MHL port and it complies with VM's HDCP 2.2, so that I can watch catchup and on demand at 2160 video display. Apparent V6 is know for having problems like rebooting with the MHL port for a certain brand of TV, mine happens to be a Samsung. Now I moved to a non MHL port I have to use 1080 video output for catchup and on demand to function properly. Thats OK as 2160 is not that common for now, if I need to I will move it back to MHL HDMI for whatever 4K I what to watch.

Last edited by ultimate; 03-07-2021 at 21:35.
Old 08-07-2021, 20:51   #9
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I just leave mine on.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:48   #10
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I've noticed our V6 will turn on if there's been a power "blip"