Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 17-05-2018, 12:39   #796
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Recording live sport is dangerous lol. I don't record a football game I'm going to miss as the results appear all over the place.

The same goes for any major live sporting event...results appear instantly these days.

I do record the F1, but have to make sure I don't look at the news on my phone, and try to avoid it from tv and radio. I'm not always successful lol

Although if you are watching something on one channel, with something else on another channel, then you'd need to record one. Depends how long you are going to keep the recordings for? They wouldn't take up that much space if you watched it pretty much straight away. Otherwise you run risk of finding out the result elsewhere.
No choice but to record - for instance there are 17 live rugby union/league matches plus the FA Cup Final on Saturday alone.

Secret is to watch the games you will hear the result of first.

As for your suggestion that UHD recordings won't take up that much space if you watched it pretty quickly - I am fairly sure the amount of space each recording will use is the same if you keep it for 1 day or 1 month. Of course the cumulative space used will be more the longer you keep them for, but this also applies to HD recordings.

My thoughts on the pitiful disk space remain
Advertisement
Old 17-05-2018, 12:47   #797
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
No choice but to record - for instance there are 17 live rugby union/league matches plus the FA Cup Final on Saturday alone.

As for your suggestion that UHD recordings won't take up that much space if you watched it pretty quickly - I am fairly sure the amount of space each recording will use is the same if you keep it for 1 day or 1 month. Of course the cumulative space used will be more the longer you keep them for, but this also applies to HD recordings.

RE: the recording space - The cumulative space is what I meant, sorry I should have been clearer. Least you know what I'm talking about lol

As, like you say, the amount of space taken up would remain the same regardless of the time you kept the recording for.

Is there any mention of external hard-drives being compatible with the V6 to improve recording space? This might have already been mentioned in the thread before...apologies if it has.

Thinking about it, probably not as VM would want you to purchase more V6 boxes to increase the storage capacity that way.
Old 17-05-2018, 13:07   #798
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
RE: the recording space - The cumulative space is what I meant, sorry I should have been clearer. Least you know what I'm talking about lol

As, like you say, the amount of space taken up would remain the same regardless of the time you kept the recording for.

Is there any mention of external hard-drives being compatible with the V6 to improve recording space? This might have already been mentioned in the thread before...apologies if it has.

Thinking about it, probably not as VM would want you to purchase more V6 boxes to increase the storage capacity that way.
In the past (when with sky), I have opened up the box and put a bigger disk in myself - not seen any reports of people trying this with the V6
Old 17-05-2018, 13:25   #799
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

The fact that we have now a UHD box with only 1 TB of recording space, which would not allow for many UHD recordings, I suspect that the plan VM have is for all UHD material to be available on demand or introduce an ability to record to the cloud.

I use three separate machines to record my HD viewing now as one is totally inadequate.

---------- Post added at 13:25 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Quote:

I thought he meant watch everything fairly quickly and then delete it. That way, you would not have too many recordings in 'My Shows' at any one tiime, which makes sense if you can live with that.
Old 17-05-2018, 14:11   #800
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
In the past (when with sky), I have opened up the box and put a bigger disk in myself - not seen any reports of people trying this with the V6
It was done with the V+, but not heard about anyone trying it with the TiVo or V6.

The TiVo is a bit difficult to get into as they tried to make it tamper proof (I assume the V6 has too?), but it's still possible to get into them. A fair few have done this to get the HDD out to re-use before scrapping them.

Thinking about it this might be why some turn up on eBay etc.
Old 17-05-2018, 14:18   #801
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I thought he meant watch everything fairly quickly and then delete it. That way, you would not have too many recordings in 'My Shows' at any one tiime, which makes sense if you can live with that.
Yeah, this is what I mean. I'm glad I make some sort of sense...sometimes anyway lol :-)
Old 17-05-2018, 15:58   #802
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It was done with the V+, but not heard about anyone trying it with the TiVo or V6.

The TiVo is a bit difficult to get into as they tried to make it tamper proof (I assume the V6 has too?), but it's still possible to get into them. A fair few have done this to get the HDD out to re-use before scrapping them.

Thinking about it this might be why some turn up on eBay etc.

Forgot, I also did it with the 1st TiVo.
Old 17-05-2018, 19:46   #803
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Do you mean that you put a larger HDD in or recycled the old existing one?

How difficult was it to get it open?
Old 17-05-2018, 20:11   #804
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Do you mean that you put a larger HDD in or recycled the old existing one?

How difficult was it to get it open?

I put a larger disk in, downloaded the software and away I went.

A word of caution though, this was a series 1 TiVo long before VM started using TiVo software. I seem to remember the only problem might have been that TiVo software couldn't calculate the space used on each recording correctly (but not entirely sure about that.

I changed from a 40gb disk to a 120gb disk from memory.

There were instructions how to do this on the Internet at that time.
Old 17-05-2018, 20:37   #805
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Here is one sky are renaming the racing uk channel in 2019 to sky sports racing, will that be joining the sky sports pack
Old 18-05-2018, 05:23   #806
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

No they are not!

Sky are renaming At the Races to Sky Sports Racing.

Racing UK is a different channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
Here is one sky are renaming the racing uk channel in 2019 to sky sports racing, will that be joining the sky sports pack
Old 18-05-2018, 13:09   #807
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

I upgraded my original S1 TiVo as it was way too small and there were lots of help pages at the time back in the early 2000s.
I seem to remember the biggest faff was getting the software onto it.
I still have it in my garage along with the remote and should probably just bin it as no good for anything else now.
I had the lifetime subscription on it also
Old 18-05-2018, 13:16   #808
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
I upgraded my original S1 TiVo as it was way too small and there were lots of help pages at the time back in the early 2000s.
I seem to remember the biggest faff was getting the software onto it.
I still have it in my garage along with the remote and should probably just bin it as no good for anything else now.
I had the lifetime subscription on it also
Same here, but it had a good run - don't remember any particular issues loading the software - but it is a long time ago
Old 19-05-2018, 11:32   #809
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

The page that originaly stated the Champions League Final would be in UHD on Virgin has had the comment removed:

Not good news.

http://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv...gue-final.html
Old 19-05-2018, 18:29   #810
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
The page that originaly stated the Champions League Final would be in UHD on Virgin has had the comment removed:

Not good news.

http://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv...gue-final.html
Except that we will still get it in UHD on YouTube
Closed Thread