Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Retention Dept gone?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Retention Dept gone?

Old 15-05-2019, 14:35   #61
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Retention Dept gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There are new rules coming in that oblige TV and broadband providers to tell their customers about the 'best deals available'.

https://advanced-television.com/2019...st-deal-rules/

I wonder if this will put an end to haggling? After all, if I get a really good deal that beats what is being advertised as 'the best offer', doesn't the deal you've just done become that best offer?

Frankly, I would prefer such a system being in place which does not encourage haggling. At least you know where you are and you have a fairer system where everyone is treated the same.
This goes totally against your capitalist beliefs though.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-05-2019, 14:38   #62
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
The problem with that is you get variable answers depending on who you talk to and what time of day it is. Some people just don't know how it works. I'd say users like us who use forums are in the minority of knowing how to play companies.
Any call centre environment will have its staff performing to targets with the aim of minimising discounting, again that’s just how the system works across Virgin, Sky, Vodafone, EE, o2 and anyone else who does it.

When I got rid of SkyQ in favour of Virgin I kept getting call backs that were progressively worse.

I’m not sure we are in a minority - the Martin Lewis website and HotUkDeals websites are both popular and have a ton of information. If someone can afford the product without needing to research or discount then great, but it’s a fundamental contradiction to capitalism to remove differentiated pricing. If we want regulated pricing because the market is so important then it should be in state ownership or have controls on profits.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 14:50   #63
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Any call centre environment will have its staff performing to targets with the aim of minimising discounting, again that’s just how the system works across Virgin, Sky, Vodafone, EE, o2 and anyone else who does it.

When I got rid of SkyQ in favour of Virgin I kept getting call backs that were progressively worse.

I’m not sure we are in a minority - the Martin Lewis website and HotUkDeals websites are both popular and have a ton of information. If someone can afford the product without needing to research or discount then great, but it’s a fundamental contradiction to capitalism to remove differentiated pricing. If we want regulated pricing because the market is so important then it should be in state ownership or have controls on profits.
But you shouldn't get a cheaper price because you phoned at 8:16am and spoke to John when I might phone at 15:30 and speak to Julie

We are in the minority. Speak to the average person on the street and they wont have a clue. I've told countless people about hotukdeals.
It's my personal belief that we shouldn't be paying differently for the same service.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 14:57   #64
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
But you shouldn't get a cheaper price because you phoned at 8:16am and spoke to John when I might phone at 15:30 and speak to Julie

We are in the minority. Speak to the average person on the street and they wont have a clue. I've told countless people about hotukdeals.
It's my personal belief that we shouldn't be paying differently for the same service.
I’m inclined to agree that at first it appears unfair, but why should you lose out if I, or anyone else, aren’t as assertive or persistent? If it’s not worth the price offered take your custom elsewhere.
Old 15-05-2019, 15:34   #65
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I’m inclined to agree that at first it appears unfair, but why should you lose out if I, or anyone else, aren’t as assertive or persistent? If it’s not worth the price offered take your custom elsewhere.
The whole point is no one should lose out. It should be a standard price for everyone. Why should you have to be persistent to get the same price offered to someone else just because you spoke to someone else.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 16:06   #66
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
The whole point is no one should lose out. It should be a standard price for everyone. Why should you have to be persistent to get the same price offered to someone else just because you spoke to someone else.
That’s the free market though. If you don’t provide me what I want, at a price I’m willing to pay, I’ll take my money elsewhere.

It makes sense to discount to maximise revenue across the potential customer base. If there were fewer customers then the fixed costs would be absorbed across a lower customer base and everyone loses out.
Old 15-05-2019, 16:07   #67
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Totally agree.

New customers should actually pay more to cover the costs of advertising!

Existing customers should get the best deal, then there would be little point in advertising saving companies a fortune.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 17:11   #68
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Totally agree.

New customers should actually pay more to cover the costs of advertising!

Existing customers should get the best deal, then there would be little point in advertising saving companies a fortune.
If that actually held true don’t you think these profit chasing companies would do that?
Old 15-05-2019, 21:08   #69
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This goes totally against your capitalist beliefs though.
Capitalism is best where there is light regulation to ensure fairness.

I don't think encouraging bullying behaviour by those who think they can just break through all the rules to get what they want while the more polite of us get a worse deal because they weren't prepared to be pushy and rude.

I used to think that you were all for fairness and equality, Richard.

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Quote:
Assertive/persistent or discourteous/rude and pushy?

These are not traits I want to see encouraged in British society. I agree with Mythica. It is not right that some should be paying less for getting the same service.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:04 ----------

Quote:
That’s the free market though. If you don’t provide me what I want, at a price I’m willing to pay, I’ll take my money elsewhere.

It makes sense to discount to maximise revenue across the potential customer base. If there were fewer customers then the fixed costs would be absorbed across a lower customer base and everyone loses out.
Your first paragraph I agree with. But to get more customers and retain custom, the same rules should apply to everybody.

It is your right to go steaming off to another company, but you wouldn't do that if they applied the same rules of fairness to everyone, unless they were actually a better proposition for everyone with the same needs who could also get that service for the same price as you.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 21:21   #70
jfman
Architect of Ideas

The range of choices available varies from postcode to postcode though, so if Virgin have data that indicates I’m less likely to leave (for example due to inferior broadband alternatives) why should they pull out all the stops as with someone that has a genuine ultra fast alternative?

The same rules cannot apply to everyone, or very quickly it becomes a check box. Would you like a discount of 20%? Call this number.

There’s no such thing as rude and pushy if someone insists they are going to take their custom elsewhere that’s a fundamental right under capitalism. Driving a hard bargain is business for companies, why not consumers?

Capitalism is awful where there’s little/no regulation, however I’m perplexed at why you’d want to regulate straightforward consumer transactions such as these. Might as well go the whole hog.

Last edited by jfman; 15-05-2019 at 21:27.
Old 15-05-2019, 21:44   #71
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The range of choices available varies from postcode to postcode though, so if Virgin have data that indicates I’m less likely to leave (for example due to inferior broadband alternatives) why should they pull out all the stops as with someone that has a genuine ultra fast alternative?

The same rules cannot apply to everyone, or very quickly it becomes a check box. Would you like a discount of 20%? Call this number.

There’s no such thing as rude and pushy if someone insists they are going to take their custom elsewhere that’s a fundamental right under capitalism. Driving a hard bargain is business for companies, why not consumers?

Capitalism is awful where there’s little/no regulation, however I’m perplexed at why you’d want to regulate straightforward consumer transactions such as these. Might as well go the whole hog.
The offer is the offer. Do you get to haggle on your council tax payments? Of course not. It isn't necessary. The cost is the cost. If it reduces, it reduces for everybody.
Old 15-05-2019, 21:48   #72
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The offer is the offer. Do you get to haggle on your council tax payments? Of course not. It isn't necessary. The cost is the cost. If it reduces, it reduces for everybody.
My council is the sole supplier of its services - there isn’t a private sector alternative. That’s literally a state provided service.

Should we tell supermarkets to regulate their prices and end special offers? After all why should I pay a price today if I didn’t know an item would be on offer tomorrow? Or it was on offer last week?
Old 15-05-2019, 21:51   #73
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I always ring at contract end when price goes to full.

I would never pay full and will happily switch supplier if retentions can't do anything for me.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 08:03   #74
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Boils down to companies being greedy, using lazy and vulnerable customers who do not haggle, to offer enticements to new customers.

Unfortunately, it is the vulnerable who are financially exploited in the process.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 08:29   #75
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
My council is the sole supplier of its services - there isn’t a private sector alternative. That’s literally a state provided service.

Should we tell supermarkets to regulate their prices and end special offers? After all why should I pay a price today if I didn’t know an item would be on offer tomorrow? Or it was on offer last week?
Your analogy does not justify your argument. If there are special offers on at the supermarket, the nature of those offers is displayed and apply to everyone at that time. That does not involve haggling and is fairly applied.