Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 17-03-2019, 20:30   #5041
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l predicted that there would be a reckoning for Netflix due to increasing competition from some very powerful new players who will have lots of high quality newer content and a vast older catalogue of high quality content at its disposal which is something Netflix certainly does not have.
Plus $30bn of debt and little by way of assets.

If this was a cable operator everyone would be predicting the end in terms of when not if. However companies in the “.com” bubble seem to get a pass.
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2019, 22:09   #5042
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

If this was a cable operator everyone would be predicting the end in terms of when not if. However companies in the “.com” bubble seem to get a pass.
Unless you lived through, and remember, the last dot-com bubble.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 17-03-2019, 22:46   #5043
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
Microsoft was 'not only ahead of the curve, but leading it'.

Is it now?
That is a good example, true. But most computers still use Windows, it's just most young people don't use computers but android smartphones.

Leaving aside Spiderplant's reply to you, which I agree with, I would keep a close eye on Microsoft in regards to streaming.

Microsoft's silence on this matter is deafening and they still have the cash do do whatever they want, including taking on Netflix or buying them, should they wish to do so. Whether they actually do, I've no idea, but Murdoch sold most of his his empire due to the threat from the tech giants and Microsoft is still a Big Daddy looming in the shadows.

The one to see whether they lead or flop is Amazon. I cannot work out whether they are a retailer, streamer, AI, cloud company etc. They do too many things and will ultimately break off into several different companies to survice or die.

What I like about Netflix is you can understand it. It does streaming. That's it.
Old 17-03-2019, 22:56   #5044
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I did, and do, but the lessons don’t appear to have been learned.
Old 17-03-2019, 22:57   #5045
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:

AT&T has a few pennies of debt...

Netflix's debt is mostly long term and is being serviced by its enormous revenues. If people thought Netflix was a credit risk, they wouldn't lend to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Most of those dot.coms were pure rubbish though, and simply the internet evolved and made most of them irrelevant.

Most of the dot.coms barely had any revenues to speak of too, unlike Netflix.
Old 17-03-2019, 22:59   #5046
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
AT&T has a few pennies of debt...

Netflix's debt is mostly long term and is being serviced by its enormous revenues. If people thought Netflix was a credit risk, they wouldn't lend to them.

Most of those dot.coms were pure rubbish though, and simply the internet evolved and made most of them irrelevant.

Most of the dot.coms barely had any revenues to speak of too, unlike Netflix.
AT&T have $531bn of assets.
Old 17-03-2019, 23:21   #5047
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Not really. Once they've had their originals on there for, say, five years, most people who subscribe to Netflix to watch these programmes will either have watched them already or are not interested enough to view them. When that point is reached, it makes perfect sense to let other streamers or TV channels have access to them. If it is not on an exclusive basis then Netflix doesn't have to take those shows off its platform.
I can't say for sure that Netflix won't do that, but it seems unlikely.

A lot of tv and films do become outdated quickly, so there is a shelf life for a lot of stuff, but if you haven't seen something before, regardless of its age, it's new. There will always be new audiences for older stuff. Disney's Mickey Mouse is still going strong and making money for Disney after all this time, as but one example of something old, yet new to some.

The tv series Friends is another example of something old now, yet people still lapping it up, which is why Netflix paid a load more money to keep the series on its service for another year.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

Quote:
AT&T have $531bn of assets.
I know.

Last edited by Horizon; 17-03-2019 at 23:29.
Old 18-03-2019, 08:06   #5048
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I can't say for sure that Netflix won't do that, but it seems unlikely.

A lot of tv and films do become outdated quickly, so there is a shelf life for a lot of stuff, but if you haven't seen something before, regardless of its age, it's new. There will always be new audiences for older stuff. Disney's Mickey Mouse is still going strong and making money for Disney after all this time, as but one example of something old, yet new to some.

The tv series Friends is another example of something old now, yet people still lapping it up, which is why Netflix paid a load more money to keep the series on its service for another year.
The Netflix Original production 'House of Cards' and others have turned up on the Virgin Media UHD Channel, so it's already happening.
Old 18-03-2019, 10:05   #5049
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
The Netflix Original production 'House of Cards' and others have turned up on the Virgin Media UHD Channel, so it's already happening.
One thing I've noticed is that many Netflix shows have long been available on DVD/Blu-ray whereas Amazon ones haven't. I used to get the get the best of both via LoveFilm (before they disappeared obviously, and before they messed with their payment tier which resulted in me stopping being a customer) by renting the DVDs of likes of House Of Cards alongside streaming likes of Bosch.

I get impression Amazon contacts give the production company less control to do deals with shows elsewhere, I've never seen a true Amazon Original available via other media or broadcaster (I don't include Ripper Street as BBC still retained involvement after cancelling it).

Another example of Netflix shows appearing on broadcast TV is Sony Crime and Orange Is The New Black.

I think what blurs the lines with both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video is they both label outside shows as Originals and they are often first shown on other network in other countries, they only premiere on them elsewhere e.g. Orphan Black which was a BBC America show.

Many people are as a result giving Netflix and Amazon credit for shows that they didn't originate.

And now there are more complicated examples, where regional broadcasters/production companies are bringing the pair of them (not at the same time, one or the other) in primarily so they can get a bigger budget. Good Omens on Amazon was originally a BBC show, but they recognised during development they (& other companies involved at the time) needed more money to do justice and Amazon clearly asked for first transmission as part of the deal for additional funding. So BBC Two will now be showing it later in the year, despite BBC Studios still making it.

I have no problem with co-productions, but it really annoys me Amazon calling it an Original when they are late to the project.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 18-03-2019 at 10:08.
Old 18-03-2019, 10:33   #5050
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

They are originals, shown by Netflix. So called because it is shown for the first time in the UK.
Old 18-03-2019, 10:52   #5051
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
They are originals, shown by Netflix. So called because it is shown for the first time in the UK.
I'd rather they called shows like that Premieres or Firsts. Originals suggests ownership and is misleading.
Old 18-03-2019, 12:27   #5052
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
Ahh. Interesting, did not know that.

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post

Another example of Netflix shows appearing on broadcast TV is Sony Crime and Orange Is The New Black.
Wasn't aware of that either.

---------- Post added at 11:27 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post

I have no problem with co-productions, but it really annoys me Amazon calling it an Original when they are late to the project.
As far as Netflix co-productions goes, they seem very happy with them and its a situation they are going to continue with. Bodyguard has been very successful for them internationally. But it does blur the lines, I agree.

I would be quite happy if Netflix went back to being what it originally was, which was a one stop shop for everyone's else's stuff.
Old 19-03-2019, 13:59   #5053
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Sky partners with BBC Studios to bring customers iconic British box sets

https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/m...itish-box-sets
Old 19-03-2019, 14:06   #5054
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky partners with BBC Studios to bring customers iconic British box sets

https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/m...itish-box-sets
I wonder if VM will do a similar deal to add these shows to their on demand service?
Old 19-03-2019, 14:13   #5055
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I wonder if VM will do a similar deal to add these shows to their on demand service?
I doubt it given Virgins usual inertia in adding things.