Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 11-03-2019, 23:23   #436
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

I’m stunned that with nothing worth watching on linear television you require a 2 full V6 boxes and streaming just to consume all the television you desire on the Virgin Media platform.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2019, 07:08   #437
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’m stunned that with nothing worth watching on linear television you require a 2 full V6 boxes and streaming just to consume all the television you desire on the Virgin Media platform.
As ever contradictions are at the heart of his opinions...
Old 12-03-2019, 09:55   #438
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Any reason why, Richard?

I use both methods to keep my recordings down. The only disadvantage seems to be that on demand dictates that you watch programmes over a limited time period, although stuff like 'Click' and 'The Film Review' tend to remain on the i-Player for a year before being removed.
As you say, some programmes are time limited, plus I like to use Quickview which isn't available with streaming. I've recently got Now TV to watch Westworld and it's now really odd to watch something at normal speed!

Also, I've found that subtitles aren't available on non BBC shows.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 13:19   #439
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
And when I look at my list, most of these are films and programmes I have recorded from BBC1,2 and Channel 4. There is less and less from the pay-tv channels, and that is my point.

I believe that the reason for this is that there are fewer new programmes available to Sky as these are now being earmarked for the streaming services. The terrestrials are bucking that trend only because they are using their own studios to make more dramas, and these are of a better quality than previous years.

My issue is that we are paying a lot of money for pay tv channels which are inferior to the terrestrials and producing less and less good quality content. However, you have to pay for them to watch the minority of stuff you actually want to view.

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
As you say, some programmes are time limited, plus I like to use Quickview which isn't available with streaming. I've recently got Now TV to watch Westworld and it's now really odd to watch something at normal speed!

Also, I've found that subtitles aren't available on non BBC shows.
Yes, good points, thanks.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 15:24   #440
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I omitted the word 'always' in error inbetween aren't and available in my last sentence, as some non non BBC content does have subtitles.
Old 12-03-2019, 17:53   #441
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I believe that the reason for this is that there are fewer new programmes available to Sky as these are now being earmarked for the streaming services.
So both Sky's linear and On Demand service has content from ABC , NBC , CBS , Hulu , Showtime , HBO , Cinemax , Fox as well as it's own productions. I'm not sure what your on about.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 18:54   #442
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So both Sky's linear and On Demand service has content from ABC , NBC , CBS , Hulu , Showtime , HBO , Cinemax , Fox as well as it's own productions. I'm not sure what your on about.
I’m talking about the quantity of quality programmes. This has gone down over the last couple of years. I’m surprised you’ve not noticed this.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 19:00   #443
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I’m talking about the quantity of quality programmes. This has gone down over the last couple of years. I’m surprised you’ve not noticed this.
There are literally loads of quality shows available in fact if I check boxsets I'm spoilt for choice , if I could be bothered I'd list them both Showtime and HBO put out regular decent shows.

Don’t forget with both Virgin and Sky it’s not just the content you are paying for , the hardware you record with has to be regularly updated with new innovations plus many other costings such as service calls..

Last edited by muppetman11; 12-03-2019 at 19:13.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 17:35   #444
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That's only for certain parts of the country for now. It's Channel 4 London that's changing to HD on 104, so it'll be anyone that gets that version of Channel 4.

Channel 4 for other regions is staying as both SD and HD for now.
My TiVo box has reveal that I have been give an new Channel 4 HD Channel in the last few days - Has to give it an new Thumb up today.

Also Total Channels has gone up by one since Monday Night in my area.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 23:22   #445
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

The web is reporting that the Disney and Fox takeover deal will be completed on March 20th.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 13:00   #446
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Was looking at DigitalBitRate and I see 6 "New" MPEG4 channels without names. They all have resolutions of 544x576 which is basically what a Freeview channel stream that has been crammed into a full multiplex looks like resolution-wise.

Maybe they are just load testing (though weird resolution to pick for that). Or Red Button type streams.

PID1117-1123 on multiplex C034 is what I'm referring to.

In other ponderings, notice the Project 1 and Project 2 below them. Mysterious.

Let the speculation, and maybe ultimate disappointment, begin!

Last edited by cheekyangus; 16-03-2019 at 13:07.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 14:19   #447
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
They all have resolutions of 544x576 which is basically what a Freeview channel stream that has been crammed into a full multiplex looks like resolution-wise.
That's a very widely used resolution on satellite, which probably gives a clue to the source of these channels.

See http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...ive=69&lang=en for many examples
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 15:32   #448
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That's a very widely used resolution on satellite, which probably gives a clue to the source of these channels.

See http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...ive=69&lang=en for many examples
Based on that I'll make a guess. 7 of the Sony Pictures Television channels have +1 channels with that resolution. But VM don't have Pop Max so I won't count that +1.

So...
Movies4Men +1
True Crime +1

True Movies +1
Pop +1
Tiny Pop +1

I'm not including Sony Crime or Sony Movies +1s as they are higher resolution.

---------- Post added at 15:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:11 ----------

Given I mistakenly added True Entertainment+1 above even though it's on VM already and Pop Max is higher resolution, I'll say the 6th is either Chart Show TV, if Sony Pictures Television UK still own it, or the completely nothing to do with Sony, but often requested, Keep It Country.

All these are complete guesses, but there aren't many obvious channels left to add.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 16-03-2019 at 15:32. Reason: Deleted channel as I suggested one that was on VM already.
Old 16-03-2019, 15:33   #449
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Based on that I'll make a guess. 7 of the Sony Pictures Television channels have +1 channels with that resolution. But VM don't have Pop Max so I won't count that +1.

So...
Movies4Men +1
True Crime +1

True Movies +1
Pop +1
Tiny Pop +1

I'm not including Sony Crime or Sony Movies +1s as they are higher resolution.
Sounds like reasonable speculation to me, though it's been speculated that True Crime is simply a placeholder channel on Sky following the closure of truTV. Having said that, (contracts aside), you'd think that if this was the case that it would have been removed from VM too. If True Crime +1 does start on VM, then this blows this theory out of the water (unless Sony intend to launch a new service).

Last nights Gogglebox recorded correctly on my box, but Recording Hiccups said that it hadn't! Further investigation reveals that this relates to a duplicate of the programme on channel 711

Channel 711 doesn't exist and is in the children's genre anyway. Does anyone know anything about this anomaly? All I can think of is that's something to do with the Channel 4 HD move for London viewers.
Old 16-03-2019, 15:44   #450
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Sounds like reasonable speculation to me, though it's been speculated that True Crime is simply a placeholder channel on Sky following the closure of truTV. Having said that, (contracts aside), you'd think that if this was the case that it would have been removed from VM too. If True Crime +1 does start on VM, then this blows this theory out of the water (unless Sony intend to launch a new service).

Last nights Gogglebox recorded correctly on my box, but Recording Hiccups said that it hadn't! Further investigation reveals that this relates to a duplicate of the programme on channel 711

Channel 711 doesn't exist and is in the children's genre anyway. Does anyone know anything about this anomaly? All I can think of is that's something to do with the Channel 4 HD move for London viewers.
Well 711 was one of the recently moved BBC HD children's channels. The removal of those two channels leave a gap of 4 channel numbers.

Why mention this? Well, massively wild guess, POP, Tiny POP and their +1 versions, if added, make 4, so maybe POP and Tiny POP are about to be moved up the EPG and with their +1s fill in 708, 709, 710 and 711.

Obviously this doesn't explain your recording Richard, but it might explain reference to a no longer used channel number.