Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 19:03   #4981
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

I agree with a lot of what OB, says, the dozens of channels on Virgin and Sky are mostly garbage imo, if I didn't like football I wouldn't subscribe to Virgin, I'd just watch whatever I wanted on Netflix or Amazon, the footie is the only thing that keeps me with Virgin.
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2019, 20:47   #4982
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I agree with a lot of what OB, says, the dozens of channels on Virgin and Sky are mostly garbage imo, if I didn't like football I wouldn't subscribe to Virgin, I'd just watch whatever I wanted on Netflix or Amazon, the footie is the only thing that keeps me with Virgin.
It's nice to see somebody's got taste on this forum, Max!
Old 10-03-2019, 21:39   #4983
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

There’s over 250 channels on Sky/Virgin. Statistically it’s unlikely someone will like them all, or even the majority of them.

However anyone with any sense would know that bundling keeps prices down. Indeed, even you have admitted that fledgling streaming apps might not survive without guaranteed income from being bundled with other pay-tv services.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:44   #4984
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It's nice to see somebody's got taste on this forum, Max!
As they say taste is often in the eye of the beholder..
Old 11-03-2019, 12:26   #4985
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
As they say taste is often in the eye of the beholder..
You might want to see a doctor about that, as I always thought taste buds were on the tongue and in the lining of the mouth...

(you probably meant "beauty)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:41   #4986
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
There’s over 250 channels on Sky/Virgin. Statistically it’s unlikely someone will like them all, or even the majority of them.

However anyone with any sense would know that bundling keeps prices down. Indeed, even you have admitted that fledgling streaming apps might not survive without guaranteed income from being bundled with other pay-tv services.
250 channels and nothing on. Some bargain.

Of course bundling keeps prices down. But that's only looking at cost per channel. When you consider that you are paying for all that when you only watch a dozen or so of them, you have to question whether that is value for money. Particularly when there may only be one or two programmes per week that you even bother to record from those channels.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:43   #4987
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

It's in the ear of this chap
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/l...-a7996766.html
Old 11-03-2019, 12:47   #4988
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You might want to see a doctor about that, as I always thought taste buds were on the tongue and in the lining of the mouth...

(you probably meant "beauty)
Yes l did mean beauty actually.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:48   #4989
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
H'mm...I wonder what The Good Wife tastes like.....
Old 11-03-2019, 14:12   #4990
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

Of course bundling keeps prices down. But that's only looking at cost per channel. When you consider that you are paying for all that when you only watch a dozen or so of them, you have to question whether that is value for money. Particularly when there may only be one or two programmes per week that you even bother to record from those channels.
You do have to question if it’s worthwhile but look what happened when they spun off La Liga and Serie A into Eleven Sports. £6 more a month for minority interest content. Imagine valuable content being separated and losing economies of scale?

Bundling doesn’t require me to watch or have any interest in the vast majority of the content available, just keep the price below what I’d pay for what a do want in a fragmented environment. Having seen Eleven Sports I’ve never been more confident that this is the case.
Old 11-03-2019, 15:10   #4991
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

Quote:

Bruce Springsteen was right. He said there was 57 channels and nothing on. Even with 557 channels, there's still nothing on!
Old 11-03-2019, 18:46   #4992
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You do have to question if it’s worthwhile but look what happened when they spun off La Liga and Serie A into Eleven Sports. £6 more a month for minority interest content. Imagine valuable content being separated and losing economies of scale?

Bundling doesn’t require me to watch or have any interest in the vast majority of the content available, just keep the price below what I’d pay for what a do want in a fragmented environment. Having seen Eleven Sports I’ve never been more confident that this is the case.
I've always said that sport is a different kettle of fish, jfman. My posts have been focusing on dramas, films and documentaries.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Bruce Springsteen was right. He said there was 57 channels and nothing on. Even with 557 channels, there's still nothing on!
Spot on, Aguero. Although you would have thought that Bruce would have got dressed by now.
Old 11-03-2019, 19:45   #4993
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
I've always said that sport is a different kettle of fish, jfman. My posts have been focusing on dramas, films and documentaries.
My memory rather tells me something different..
Old 11-03-2019, 20:55   #4994
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

Spot on, Aguero. Although you would have thought that Bruce would have got dressed by now.
The same principle applies to all forms of content though. Do I really want the back catalogue of different Hollywood studios scattered across four or five providers? Or worse, new releases on some platforms and the back catalogues on others?

What if Discovery owned documentaries, National Geographic documentaries and the BBC back catalogue all ended up separated?

It seems odd you are focused on dramas and documentaries when you consider the present pay tv bundles to be inadequate. There’s literally thousands of hours broadcast and on demand available. From as little as £7 a month on Now TV.
Old 12-03-2019, 13:27   #4995
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
My memory rather tells me something different..
You need to go back to the posts rather than rely on your memory, Den!

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Quote:
The same principle applies to all forms of content though. Do I really want the back catalogue of different Hollywood studios scattered across four or five providers? Or worse, new releases on some platforms and the back catalogues on others?

What if Discovery owned documentaries, National Geographic documentaries and the BBC back catalogue all ended up separated?

It seems odd you are focused on dramas and documentaries when you consider the present pay tv bundles to be inadequate. There’s literally thousands of hours broadcast and on demand available. From as little as £7 a month on Now TV.
Now TV is a streaming service, I should point out.

As I said before, if content is broken up between the streaming services, you don't have to subscribe to them all at once because you won't be tied into annual, 18 months or two yearly contracts. That gives you the flexibility to jump about and take advantage of the various deals that are going.

I do watch factual stuff other than dramas of course. I find that rather too much of the factual stuff gets repeated ad nauseum and some is pretty lightweight stuff. If it's not intellectually stimulating, I tend to find it rather boring. We deserve better.
Closed Thread