Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The 5p bag charges...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The 5p bag charges...

Old 14-10-2015, 03:10   #31
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Re: The 5p bag charges...

It's slowed things down at 99p Store, where they used to bundle things into bags.

It's making everyone pay for the few that carelessly discard bags - I though most people used them for lining kitchen bins that are too small for any of the bags you buy on a roll.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2015, 08:00   #32
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

http://m.snopes.com/5p-bag-charge/

Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 08:49   #33
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

I'm not bothered about paying 50p or so for plastic bags for supermarket food it's not really a hardship

But why don't retailers start using paper bags like some stores in the USA, 100% recyclable

Ive also not seen any confirmation by stores as to which good causes this money goes to has anyone else ?
Old 14-10-2015, 14:02   #34
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

By ops logic, having 'Nike' on a shirt or a pair of trainers or an Armani logo on a pair of jeans should also be classed as advertising.

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 14:16   #35
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

One thing to remember about reusing bags is that they can become contaminated with some nasty stuff over time, so don't forget to wash them or bin them.

But our local council refuses to accept them in recycled bags as "they clog up our multi million £ waste-sorting machine". So "take them them to your local store and recycle them there".

I always shop with a knapsack with a few bags-for-life inside. I haven't paid for a single 5p bag. And the bags-for-life came out of the recycling bin at the shop entrance.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 14:59   #36
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

I had to buy one bag. I'd gone out for some shopping and it was only as I was paying I realised I had left my carrier bag at home. I just cannot believe that people are so worked up about the charge that they just don't see the logical answer. Use a bag you have in your house and you don't get charged for buying a bag.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 15:14   #37
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
I had to buy one bag. I'd gone out for some shopping and it was only as I was paying I realised I had left my carrier bag at home. I just cannot believe that people are so worked up about the charge that they just don't see the logical answer. Use a bag you have in your house and you don't get charged for buying a bag.
I have always used my shopping trolley
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 15:39   #38
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

I dunno whatever happened to the English? Once you ruled the waves now you can't even qualify for a sports tournament you're hosting. The soccer
World Cup has also continued after 1966 in case you hadn't noticed whilst you're all whining about paying 5p for a plastic bag like the rest of the UK.

Come on England, you're better than this.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 15:46   #39
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

A very small minority are whining but the vast majority have just accepted it Sir....
Old 14-10-2015, 15:56   #40
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
A very small minority are whining but the vast majority have just accepted it Sir....
You also get unnecessarily defensive and pernickety about meaningless non-issues .

Was it Napoleon that said you were a nation of shopkeepers?; he meant shoppers with little expensive plastic bags. Hrrmpph !

Come on England!
Old 14-10-2015, 16:23   #41
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Nope just stating the point that the vast majority could not care less about a 5p carrier bag charge...
Old 14-10-2015, 16:43   #42
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Nope just stating the point that the vast majority could not care less about a 5p carrier bag charge...

You invented the steam engine, a vaccination for smallpox, the electric motor, the bessemer converter, television, penicillin; you are champions of democracy, creativity and civilised culture. You care for your people from cradle to grave; you are an example to others, tenacious, fair-minded and honest. You are the land of hope and glory.

You didn't invent the plastic bag because you were busy doing far more important things.

I'm sorry. I suppose we all have days when some things just seem so daft.
Old 14-10-2015, 16:48   #43
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

What sticks in my throat is the way they say the charge is to help the environment. And then the charge is applied to paper bags and bags that are not plastic but biodegradable (starch).

I actually think it was the brainchild of one of the major supermarkets to reduce costs, and picked up by Green lobbyists.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 17:18   #44
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

As usual, the media is making far more of this than there is.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 17:34   #45
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
And then the charge is applied to paper bags
Shouldn't be:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rged-for-a-bag

Quote:
There are some cases where you won’t be charged for a bag:
  • paper bags
  • shops in airports, or on board trains, aeroplanes or ships
  • bags only containing certain items, such as unwrapped food, raw meat and fish where there is a food safety risk, prescription medicines, uncovered blades, seeds, bulbs and flowers, or live fish