Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2018 price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

2018 price rises

Old 20-09-2018, 18:52   #151
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice
Angry Re: 2018 price rises

The retentions phone line now plays an automatic recording;

"We notice your bill is going up in October - We'd like to offer you £3 credit per month as a valued customer. Press 1 to accept!" (Same amount as the increase).

When they offer you discounts for not even reporting an issue, it proves the point that you're being ripped off.

I was offered £4 p/m more than new customers - Suffice to say, I told them I'd consider my options

The operator mentioning that he 'wishes he could also have Virgin as it's much better than Sky and his BT' got my dander up, as well!

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-09-2018, 19:28   #152
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one
Re: 2018 price rises

My TV and phone are going.. The phone do not use it or nobody rarely calls us on it. The TV is full of repeats, so might as well use freeview... I will keep the broadband which is 150Mb, so how much will they charge I wonder.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 19:49   #153
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post

"We notice your bill is going up in October - We'd like to offer you £3 credit per month as a valued customer. Press 1 to accept!" (Same amount as the increase).

When they offer you discounts for not even reporting an issue, it proves the point that you're being ripped off.
Very interesting. Any mention whether it ties you into a new minimum term? I'm happy with the price I pay, so if they offered a discount to mitigate to rise, I'd take it provided it didn't start a new minimum term.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 20:05   #154
SirThomas
cf.addict

SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
Very interesting. Any mention whether it ties you into a new minimum term? I'm happy with the price I pay, so if they offered a discount to mitigate to rise, I'd take it provided it didn't start a new minimum term.
It mentioned "Press 1 to agree and listen to the terms and conditions" - So I assume that'd be agreeing to something. I naturally ignored such an option!

Tom
Old 20-09-2018, 20:11   #155
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It mentioned "Press 1 to agree and listen to the terms and conditions" - So I assume that'd be agreeing to something. I naturally ignored such an option!

Tom
Ah, that'll be it then! Cheers.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 06:12   #156
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Had a email from Virgin last night regarding the forthcoming price rise as it was just a matter of time before we received one of these emails.

It just states.

Quote:
From 1st November, your bill will be going up by £4 a month
Old 22-09-2018, 09:55   #157
MrB
cf.addict

MrB is on a distinguished roadMrB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfunkdup View Post
Agreed.That's part of the problem,the promotion period is too long and should in my opinion be 3 months maximum then the price point goes up to the same as other customers are paying.

Too many people seem to think that they should get services for a price point that ''they'' think is fit for the service they are supplied with lol

This is something that Ofcom really should sort out and make ISP'S have fixed transparent pricing that's easy to understand and regulate that promotion periods can't last for more than 3 months.

I'd imagine that it's partly because of all the promotions and customers on the phone whining like babies for cheap cheap cheap!! that drives up costs for VM and that in turn means that we get one or two price rises a year
VMs pricing with the RRP is priced high to account for the offer prices. Only customers who pay no attention to their bills will end up paying over the odds (which I agree is wrong, the high rrp is unjustified). The RRP has increased significantly over the years to allow for these offers to be offered. It is the same as no sensible person would go to Alton Towers etc at the gate price when there is always kids go free/buy one get one free offers available. The rrp has been significantly increased to allow for this in their pricing model, the same as VM, to the point where the half price is probably close to what should be the rrp and any "offer" should now be less than that!
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 10:14   #158
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I fail to see what the alternative is: the whole market does the same thing. I know someone with Sky who has had it for three years and never paid more than half price. Currently paying £35 or so for box sets, movies, sports and HD.

If Virgin (or Sky) didn’t engage in a retention strategy they’d quickly have less customers to absorb their fixed costs.

As I’ve said before: negotiating with your provider is capitalism. If it’s not worth Virgin providing the service they can choose not to.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 21:04   #159
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Had a email from Virgin last night regarding the forthcoming price rise as it was just a matter of time before we received one of these emails.

It just states. "From 1st November, your bill will be going up by £4 a month"
Just do a reply Den, "From the 1st November I will no longer be a customer."
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 23:35   #160
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Compared my current setup with Virgin to what I could get from sky as was paying just over £80pm (currently 2xV6, 200m internet and talk weekends), Sky offered £62 for 18 months. Virgin offered me £67.50 for 6 months then £71.50 for 6 months (£81.50 after discount expires) which I was happy with so took it.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 16:38   #161
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

I was offered £4 p/m more than new customers - Suffice to say, I told them I'd consider my options

The operator mentioning that he 'wishes he could also have Virgin as it's much better than Sky and his BT' got my dander up, as well!

Tom
What numbers did dial/press to get to this ?
Old 23-09-2018, 20:15   #162
MrB
cf.addict

MrB is on a distinguished roadMrB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Dial 150 from Virgin landline. From memory - 1, 1, 4, 5 then your password.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 21:28   #163
SirThomas
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
'Thinking of leaving us' and then the final option I think (after moving house etc etc)

Tom
Old 24-09-2018, 16:58   #164
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

30 days left with VM, then gone.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 17:37   #165
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
30 days left with VM, then gone.

Byeeeee ...
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote