Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The General Cricket Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The General Cricket Thread
Closed Thread

Old 29-08-2005, 01:16   #241
fisheddie
Inactive

Services: internet: 2M BT TV: no TV
fisheddie will become famous soon enoughfisheddie will become famous soon enoughfisheddie will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to fisheddie
Re: Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by number_1
good game good game! cut it a bit too close for my liking though! found a nice little link.
http://www.viralbank.com/popeye.wmv

a fair comparison?

? ? ? i dont get it... anybody care to explain?
Advertisement
Old 29-08-2005, 09:40   #242
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Freddie is well known for drinking Red Bull, he says it gives him added strength.

and Popeye , well anyone of a certain age will know what his spinach does for him.
Old 29-08-2005, 09:53   #243
Gogogo

Ashley Giles contributed a good column in The Guardian today illustrating the tension in the team as Shane Warne was getting wickets. Gilo's description of his innings with Hoggie is marvellous:

Then came the chip to midwicket

Old 29-08-2005, 11:02   #244
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogo
Ashley Giles contributed a good column in The Guardian today illustrating the tension in the team as Shane Warne was getting wickets. Gilo's description of his innings with Hoggie is marvellous:

Then came the chip to midwicket

This bit says it all.

Quote:
These games are so tough. We have all aged about 10 years in the past three weeks. You don't sleep well. Every minute of the day you are thinking about cricket. You wake up in the night and you are thinking about cricket. It's not healthy but that's the Ashes. I'm sure the Aussies are feeling just as tired.
to damn right fans aswell.
Old 29-08-2005, 13:28   #245
andymt
Inactive

Services: Telewest cable 10mb + telewest console gaming pack
andymt will become famous soon enoughandymt will become famous soon enoughandymt will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to andymt

I really hope that simon jones is ready for the oval

as you noticed we struggled without him when bowling out the aussies 2nd time at trent bridge.

We gotta play well at the oval..plat pitch but a bit of swing for hoggard, but they have mcgrath back..eeekk!!!!
Old 29-08-2005, 16:26   #246
Gogogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymt
I really hope that simon jones is ready for the oval
as you noticed we struggled without him when bowling out the aussies 2nd time at trent bridge. We gotta play well at the oval..plat pitch but a bit of swing for hoggard, but they have mcgrath back..eeekk!!!!

Agreed, a lot of attention gets focused on Freddie of course he is a marvellous cricketer, but then the rest of the team is equally deserving, all of the batsmen can get over a hundred, Strauss on a good day, Trescothick, Vaughan, Pieterson a least five could achieve centuries plus. The bowlers have good and bad days but they each have in the past performed well: Giles, Simon Jones, Hoggard, Freddie, Harmison they can get wickets. The Australians have been lucky so far as the last Test might see them really getting thrashed.

The Aussies are short of quality bowlers, Shane Warne is the best, our guys must hang in there, not be sloggers, be careful and wear the bowlers down with a long innings.

Old 29-08-2005, 16:56   #247
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

It will be an interesting 5th test. I do think some papers are being a bit hasty. Beware of the wounded animal as they say.
Old 29-08-2005, 19:52   #248
andymt
Inactive

andymt will become famous soon enoughandymt will become famous soon enoughandymt will become famous soon enough

very true and jones does have 9 days to recover...

i also hope they dont change the team....dont change a winning team i say..
they have developed team spirit..even though our wikie may miss a few chances, he is worth it for the runs he scores. the other wikie we have, chris read might be better behind the stumps but in front of them he isnt much cop.

Ian bell is unlucky he is a good batsman, he is just inexperienced, so ge often goes for shots before he is "in" or focused.
Old 29-08-2005, 20:18   #249
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymt
very true and jones does have 9 days to recover...

i also hope they dont change the team....dont change a winning team i say..
they have developed team spirit..even though our wikie may miss a few chances, he is worth it for the runs he scores. the other wikie we have, chris read might be better behind the stumps but in front of them he isnt much cop.

Ian bell is unlucky he is a good batsman, he is just inexperienced, so ge often goes for shots before he is "in" or focused.
I agree with going for the team spirit & hope Jones will be fit - another thing about Ian Bell is that he is is one of the best close fielders I have seen for ages

Old 30-08-2005, 00:59   #250
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Just to add my comments:

Firstly *blimey* was that an absolutely nail biter or what...?!

Secondly, however, even if (and hopefully we will!) we win the Ashes, I think what this series has demonstrated is that the England team *still* don't hold up well under pressure.

Consider:

1) Australia need to bat out the day and not lose all their wickets - They do so with dogged determination despite some very hostile treatment.

2) England need just over a hundred runs to win, they've got 10 wickets in hand, plenty of time and what happens? They fall to pieces and, frankly, barely scrape home.

The Aussies simply *DO NOT QUIT*, they will fight tooth and nail for every run, every wicket and take every chance open to them, but the English go to pieces.

IMO (and speaking *as* an Englishman!) for sheer determination, the Australians deserve to keep the Ashes.
Old 30-08-2005, 08:24   #251
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

But we've clearly got the better team, which should count for something. The Aussies, technically speaking, are outgunned with bat and ball. A few more catches on our side and we'd have the urn in the bag. Sometimes you really miss Graham Thorpe.

Mind you, I was wondering the other day which members of both squads have seen their reputation increase, and only came up with S. Jones, Flintoff and Lee. At best the others have either performed much as expected (Trescothick, Hoggard, Giles) or underperformed (Harmison, Bell and the entire Aussie upper batting order ).

Agree that S. Jones has gone from fourth bowler to key man - we all knew Flintoff had *it*, but Jones the Bowler is gonna be missed if he isn't fit.
Old 30-08-2005, 09:06   #252
andymt
Inactive

the problem with chasing a low score as we did was that allthe batsmen thought-

"oh, its ok if i get out for a small no of runs, its such a low total someone else can score"

Yes i totally agree, Ian bell is a brave and excellent close fielder, and he also had two useful spells with the ball two!
Old 30-08-2005, 09:19   #253
yesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
the Australians deserve to keep the Ashes.
You could be done for treason ya know

Lets hope it rains for 2 weeks starting now

Old 30-08-2005, 09:37   #254
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

There is one team that has a recent history of struggling with a low score, last innings run chase, that team is................Australia

That said Graham mkaes some valid points.
England should have already won the Ashes, they should be 3-1 up by now but they could just as easily be 3-0 down.
England got well beaten at Lords,and there was no way they could lose the Old Trafford test but they should have won it. They almost lost both the two tests that they eventually did win, five days rain still represents their best chance.
Old 30-08-2005, 10:02   #255
yesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom
There is one team that has a recent history of struggling with a low score, run chase, that team is................Australia

That said Graham mkaes some valid points.
England should have already won the Ashes, they should be 3-1 up by now but they could just as easily be 3-0 down.
England got well beaten at Lords,and there was no way they could lose the Old Trafford test but they should have won it. They almost lost both the two tests that they eventually did win, five days rain still represents their best chance.
Jim, what do you think about Pontings moan about England using top class 12th men ?

Are England employing the use of ungentlemanly conduct, or is he just whinging ?

Closed Thread