Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 18:07   #1726
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
So that’s still not a specific law that does not say you cannot go to a place and then exercise.
They cant list everything that someone might invent to get around the rules. It doesn't say I can't go to a supermarket that's 100 miles away, but anyone doing that when they have got a supermarket 2 miles away would have a hard time fighting it in court.

The law that is in place now, while it could be worded better, is enough to still fine people for doing something like driving to a place to exercise. Whether people agree with that is a different matter.
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2020, 18:46   #1727
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
That's the worry. If people get fed up and don't follow the advice any longer this could go on for a long time. Already we've seen traffic going back up.
It's not that I would contravene any restrictions, I'm just sick of hearing about it.
Old 02-04-2020, 19:59   #1728
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
They cant list everything that someone might invent to get around the rules. It doesn't say I can't go to a supermarket that's 100 miles away, but anyone doing that when they have got a supermarket 2 miles away would have a hard time fighting it in court.

The law that is in place now, while it could be worded better, is enough to still fine people for doing something like driving to a place to exercise. Whether people agree with that is a different matter.
The fact you’ve said it could be worded better, is a technicality that could throw a case out of court. My point still stands. Time for you to move on.
Old 02-04-2020, 20:06   #1729
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
The fact you’ve said it could be worded better, is a technicality that could throw a case out of court. My point still stands. Time for you to move on.
Ok Mick, I'll move on, shame you can't have a debate about something.
Old 02-04-2020, 20:30   #1730
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

The hardest part of the Coronavirus is this.

My family and close friend know if they need me call and I'll come running.

But now I can't, give my sister a hug as we are both worrying about our mother, and self isolatating.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:47   #1731
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Current death rate curve closely matches the expected (male) curve and since us men seem more affected by COVID-19 that's expected.
Seems to show that while we do want to control spread especially because of load on NHS and protecting those we can it's not causing more deaths in the population generally.
I also guess that with the current "lockdown" there could be fewer deaths from things like traffic incidents, climbing etc.
---
At some point I'll want to get to Costco. Yes it's a drive to get there but since it's a bulk buy a single trip out to do that is statistically better than lots of smaller trips. Nice message from them that executive member can visit during trade period.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:02   #1732
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I guess I'm lucky that I live 5 minutes from the local beach.Sadly not everyone does have a wide open space on their doorstep.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:30   #1733
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Current death rate curve closely matches the expected (male) curve and since us men seem more affected by COVID-19 that's expected.
Seems to show that while we do want to control spread especially because of load on NHS and protecting those we can it's not causing more deaths in the population generally.
I also guess that with the current "lockdown" there could be fewer deaths from things like traffic incidents, climbing etc.
---
At some point I'll want to get to Costco. Yes it's a drive to get there but since it's a bulk buy a single trip out to do that is statistically better than lots of smaller trips. Nice message from them that executive member can visit during trade period.
They are also opening an hour earlier for members who are in the Emergency Services, until the 5th April.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:49   #1734
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Ok Mick, I'll move on, shame you can't have a debate about something.
It's not that I don't want to debate something but I don't want an issue to keep festering on that it just becomes an argument that annoys others and like Paul says, the same members should not be arguing with each other, when it is just us rambling, it's not a debate.

I have my interpretations of the Corona virus Act, it has it's flaws, you've also pretty much admitted this too by commenting on it's wording. Another member has commented on the application of Common Sense.

I think it has perfect common sense for people to, get in their car, "alone" or with someone from their household. Drive to a remote location to do their exercising as they are still self isolating.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:03   #1735
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Driving to a remote spot for self isolation exercise is great until everyone decides to drive to the same remote spot. We had horrendous problems up here in the LL&T national park with the whole of Glasgow driving out here for exercise on the first weekend of lockdown. The national park had to lock the car parks to put a stop to it and the police are doing regular patrols to make sure people aren’t just dumping their cars on the narrow roads and forestry tracks. The issue isn’t with any one car coming up here, it’s that once one does it everyone feels entitled and then you have a crowd of people who aren’t self isolated at all.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:17   #1736
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
It's not that I don't want to debate something but I don't want an issue to keep festering on that it just becomes an argument that annoys others and like Paul says, the same members should not be arguing with each other, when it is just us rambling, it's not a debate.

I have my interpretations of the Corona virus Act, it has it's flaws, you've also pretty much admitted this too by commenting on it's wording. Another member has commented on the application of Common Sense.

I think it has perfect common sense for people to, get in their car, "alone" or with someone from their household. Drive to a remote location to do their exercising as they are still self isolating.
I think there was a great quote used by the Chancellor attributed to Voltaire "Perfect is the enemy of good" when talking about the legislation.
Everyone accepts that the legislation is not as polished as something that's received more scrutiny and time, but it's far better than no legislation.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:27   #1737
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

The problem with "common sense" is that, unfortunately, for a sizeable minority, it isn't that common.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:45   #1738
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Driving to a remote spot for self isolation exercise is great until everyone decides to drive to the same remote spot. We had horrendous problems up here in the LL&T national park with the whole of Glasgow driving out here for exercise on the first weekend of lockdown. The national park had to lock the car parks to put a stop to it and the police are doing regular patrols to make sure people aren’t just dumping their cars on the narrow roads and forestry tracks. The issue isn’t with any one car coming up here, it’s that once one does it everyone feels entitled and then you have a crowd of people who aren’t self isolated at all.
Then it is not a remote spot is it, if it is a popular place and plenty of people go there, the very idea of going for a remote exercise, going to random remote areas, is knowing there will be no other people there and that is my point Chris. Perfectly possible to sustain self isolation.
Old 03-04-2020, 13:20   #1739
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Then it is not a remote spot is it, if it is a popular place and plenty of people go there, the very idea of going for a remote exercise, going to random remote areas, is knowing there will be no other people there and that is my point Chris. Perfectly possible to sustain self isolation.
It’s 25 miles outside the city in a location that has the reputation of being isolated, because it’s at the end of a no-through road. I absolutely agree, if you know a secret isolated spot where you won’t meet anyone, knock yourself out, enjoy it - if it’s that out of the way, the police won’t find you anyway. The problem is with places that everyone believes to be isolated, and it’s not until they all show up at once and break the all-time visitor record (as happened here, and at other national park locations around the UK) that trouble brews.

The limitation with using primary legislation to try to manage this is that there’s no safe legal definition of what is isolated and what isn’t. If it were necessary to have such laws permanently (thankfully it won’t be), then they would end up with a massive Schedule to the Act listing locations, because there would be no other legally watertight way to do it. As we don’t have any of that, it’s not surprising that there are continuing disagreements over what is allowed, what should be allowed, and how the police enforce it.
Old 03-04-2020, 13:28   #1740
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:

It's not the self isolating that is the issue, the more people that want to get in their car means more fuel they'll need, more chance of needing breakdown or emergency services which could put more strain on the NHS.

I get it's not a nice situation to be in but it's for the greater good, we need to try and stop the spread and protect the NHS so it doesn't get overloaded. I dare say the majority of people don't need to get in their car, they just want to.

It seems the message just isn't getting through to people though. I work in a supermarket and I'm seeing the same regulars who come in everyday or every other day still coming in as usual. I understand not everyone can afford a full shop once a week but it would help if they were only buying essentials.
Closed Thread