Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 21:19   #2611
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: [Updated] The UK’s future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
In whose thesaurus is the word “comparing” synonymous with “dispute”?
Good, so you don't dispute we're worse off. Sorted. Maybe you'll get another vote someday....
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2020, 21:21   #2612
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Seeing as the rebate was going to be scrapped if we remained, the true figure would have been more than £350m/week. In fact a budget report said that even if the rebate remained, our contributions would have soon approached £350m/week.

Whatever way you look at it, having to give a 66% rebate in order to get to a "fair" contribution, clearly show that the system of calculating contributions is extremely unfair as far as the UK was concerned.

The way the rebate worked was that for every £3 we "got back" from the EU, £2 was taken off the rebate. IE more than 2 in £3 of EU money spent here came directly from the UK in the first place. No other EU country, including Germany, had to fund their EU spending to that extent.

Public opposition to the EU was there long before the referendum campaign. That is why there was a referendum in the first place. It wasn't because a small number of people wanted to leave.

Last edited by nomadking; 11-03-2020 at 21:33.
Old 11-03-2020, 21:30   #2613
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Good, so you don't dispute we're worse off. Sorted. Maybe you'll get another vote someday....
If at any point there is a referendum on joining the EU, my vote will be “no”.

All this time and you *still* don’t get it, do you ...
Old 11-03-2020, 21:32   #2614
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:

No you're right I really don't get why we'd want to be worse off.
Old 11-03-2020, 21:37   #2615
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
You’re like an ex-girlfriend who still won’t accept that she’s been dumped.
Old 11-03-2020, 21:47   #2616
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
That’s because you have a sad and impoverished conception of what’s truly valuable.

There’s really no point rehearsing the arguments for breaking free of EU. If you’re still determined that everything of worth about this country’s heritage and future prospects can be reduced to a tabloid-friendly piece of division designed to induce the hard-of-thinking into believing Big Bad Boris is going to raid their bank balances to the tune of a grand a year, then I have to say I’m content leave you in your misery.

Me, I’m quite happy that the amount we’re talking about is, firstly, nowhere near as noticeable to the average citizen as the “£1,200 per person” is designed to imply, and, secondly, is more than a bargain as the price of national freedom to design and pursue our own future outside the sclerotic EU.

Last edited by Chris; 11-03-2020 at 21:59.
Old 11-03-2020, 21:52   #2617
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

If the EU changes significantly by the time of a future referendum, then I think it would be unreasonable to expect anyone to vote as they did in 2016.
Old 11-03-2020, 23:44   #2618
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
If the EU changes significantly by the time of a future referendum, then I think it would be unreasonable to expect anyone to vote as they did in 2016.
I'd say that's an acceptable statement.

In fact, when the EU start throwing £millions of someone else's cash at us, decide that the massive free movement policy is out of hand, and we can have our manufacturing industries back it 'might' get my vote too
Old 12-03-2020, 08:54   #2619
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I'd say that's an acceptable statement.

In fact, when the EU start throwing £millions of someone else's cash at us, decide that the massive free movement policy is out of hand, and we can have our manufacturing industries back it 'might' get my vote too
That's assuming the EU still exists in the future.
Old 14-03-2020, 07:20   #2620
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Give up you lost,it's happening get over it and move on.
What are you talking about?

---------- Post added at 07:20 ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 ----------

It's been on the news overnight that, due to the Coronavirus, a number of EU countries are to 'close their borders to foreigners'!

But what about their precious freedom of movement policy? Hopefully we'll do the same.
Old 14-03-2020, 10:05   #2621
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I don’t think that European countries that are not EU members see an EU dimension to Coronavirus.

As stated by others, Remainers should stop bleating and concentrate on making the UK succeed without the EU yoke upon our shoulders.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 14-03-2020, 15:30   #2622
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I don’t think that European countries that are not EU members see an EU dimension to Coronavirus.

As stated by others, Remainers should stop bleating and concentrate on making the UK succeed without the EU yoke upon our shoulders.

And Brexiteers need to realise there are more important issues than Brexit atm.
Old 14-03-2020, 15:43   #2623
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
And Brexiteers need to realise there are more important issues than Brexit atm.
Those of your viewpoint can contribute to threads not aligned to Brexit.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 14-03-2020, 16:16   #2624
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The good news about Coronavirus, and the imminent global recession, is that it should focus the minds of the UK side to realise that the future relationship is a marathon and not a sprint.

Racing to a sub-optimal agreement by end the of this year isn't in the UK or EU interest at the minute and the reasonable step of an extension will be triggered.
Old 14-03-2020, 16:20   #2625
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

I tend to agree - while I support Boris’ attempt to get a quick deal, without enduring the EU’s standard intransigence and brinkmanship, present circumstances mean that the time and resources required even for a quick deal may not be available when we need them. I suspect we will now see things extended into next year, however given the political cover Boris will require in order to do that, I don’t think an announcement will be forthcoming for a while yet. Things will have to be seen to be hopeless, especially by his hardline backbenchers, before he can try to carry the necessary votes through the Commons smoothly.
Closed Thread