Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Electrical Advice

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Electrical Advice

Old 02-04-2020, 13:59   #1
blotchyprune
cf.addict

blotchyprune is on a distinguished roadblotchyprune is on a distinguished road
Electrical Advice

Hi Guys,

I was hoping someone here could tell me if my diagram of my elcetrical design works/is allowed by regs...

Ive just moved into a property with an attached garage and coming into it is T+E cable which goes to double socket then FCU switch for the light, hopefully my diagram shows i want to add an FCU (13amp) at the main infeed then a nuber of socket then another FCU (3amp) and then lights...the lights are low powered led but i would like to add more to brighten it even more

I'm aware this will be limited to 13amps all round and it's a lot of sockets but they wont be used all at the same time but for different things at different times, i just want the simpleness of having enough sockets rather than changing whats in them all the time or adding 4gang extenstions

Appriceate any advice
Attached Images
File Type: png Garage - Sockets.png (272.6 KB, 31 views)
blotchyprune is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2020, 15:17   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Electrical Advice

TBH get a proper sparky in.
Old 02-04-2020, 15:35   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

You may find this informative.

https://www.quittance.co.uk/conveyan...ling-your-home
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 15:38   #4
blotchyprune
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I'm not selling my home
Old 02-04-2020, 15:50   #5
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

What I did for my garage was to dedicate a 20amp circuit in the main consumer unit, run a suitable cable to the garage ending in a 2 way consumer unit.

That had a 5amp circuit for lighting and a 16amp circuit to run 2 double 13amp sockets.

I don't know if that's to today's code but it is safe.
Old 02-04-2020, 15:50   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by blotchyprune View Post
I'm not selling my home
You may not be selling your home but you will invalidate your home insurance. What you are proposing is running 5 double sockets and the lighting off a spur from the ring main. A big No-no.
Get a proper sparkie in to run a supply from the main consumer unit.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 16:04   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by blotchyprune View Post
I'm not selling my home
At this time...
Old 02-04-2020, 16:12   #8
blotchyprune
cf.addict

Thanks Guys

I'm happy to get a sparks in but I want to do is the labour myself then just have someone connect and test it

the diagram wasn't so literal, the number of double sockets isn't final...I read online that aslong as it's fused (13amp) the number of sockets didnt matter
Old 02-04-2020, 16:27   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

What you have drawn is a spur off a ring main.

IMHO you would be better off extending the ring main circuit in and out of the garage.

And get it tested and certified by a qualified leccy ASAP to be sure it is up to code.

An "attached garage" can mean many things, and different situations demand different regs to be applied.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 16:44   #10
blotchyprune
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
What you have drawn is a spur off a ring main.

IMHO you would be better off extending the ring main circuit in and out of the garage.

And get it tested and certified by a qualified leccy ASAP to be sure it is up to code.

An "attached garage" can mean many things, and different situations demand different regs to be applied.
So if i find the socket that the garage has taken the spur from and extend the ring - add sockets to my garage then back in to complete the ring, i could then just spur off one of the garage sockets for the lights?

Then get it tested...
Old 02-04-2020, 18:59   #11
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

That's it. And far safer than a long spur with multiple sockets.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:41   #12
blotchyprune
cf.addict

Thanks Taf, i've ran this by a local sparky and basically told him what my plan is and he's happy with it and said if i were to buy him a drink so to speak he'll test for me when it's done

Thanks again all for your inputs
Old 03-04-2020, 12:27   #13
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Pleased that it's resolved for you.
Old 03-04-2020, 13:50   #14
Taf
cf.mega poster

I have not read the newest regs, but I'm sure that these days homes are divided into zones for ring mains and lighting. Downstairs ring, upstairs ring, downstairs lighting... yadda yadda. Each on their own MCB. This may only apply to new builds, but it might be worth thinking about (i.e. don't break into the house ring, but run a new one to an extra MCB).
Old 03-04-2020, 15:46   #15
blotchyprune
cf.addict

I know in my house i have upstairs sockets and downstairs sockets as 2 different rings...but it cant be that strict this house was built in march so pretty new and the lights are messed right up. I went to change the kitchen light so switch of the downsairs ring but the kitchen light stayed on - it was connected to the upstairs ring - told the site manager who sent down and sparky who did whatever and said it was sorted...now if i turn the upstairs ring off 2 of the 5 lights stay on.

I'm pretty sure our neighbour has similar problems

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Whenever i work with anything like this though i always make sure theres something on/plug in which makes a light/sounds so i can tell if the powers been cut

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Excuse the error's...i'm just about to finish work and power typing