Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 19-05-2015, 16:25   #496
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
For me it is just something new and FREE, i also wanted the start menu back without having to install other software.

Things off the top of my head

FREE upgrade for the first year
Start menu
Virtual Desktops
Universal apps on desktop
Edge Browser
Xbox games integration
Task View
DirectX 12
Voice assistant notification centre.

Probably plenty of other things hidden under the skin too.
These are some good upgrades, thanks.

I downloaded the Win 10 TP and am running it in a VirtualBox VM. Is this as far as it goes at the moment? I noticed that Windows Update is locked down unless I have a install problem.

Is MS guarenteeing Win 10 will be 100% compatible w/Win 7/8 drivers or will the vendors need to push out Win 10 specific drivers?
Old 19-05-2015, 16:43   #497
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
For me it is just something new and FREE, i also wanted the start menu back without having to install other software.
Only reason for me as well. I swore i would never pay for another piece of software from Microsoft after the way they treated me over windows 8.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 16:46   #498
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post

I downloaded the Win 10 TP and am running it in a VirtualBox VM. Is this as far as it goes at the moment? I noticed that Windows Update is locked down unless I have a install problem.

Is MS guarenteeing Win 10 will be 100% compatible w/Win 7/8 drivers or will the vendors need to push out Win 10 specific drivers?

M$ will never do that I am assuming most will work some wont install as a package but will install forced and few will not run at all but these will be older devices
johnhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 16:47   #499
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post

I haven't had any problems installing Windows 8 drivers for my printer on Windows 10, from what i gather if there isn't a Windows 10 driver then we can easily use the 1 for Windows 8.1.

Been running it 2 weeks now with no real issues.
Old 19-05-2015, 18:33   #500
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

confimed windows insiders qualify for free windows 10

Will non-genuine Windows licenses qualify for the Windows 10 upgrade?

The simple answer is no. This is what Terry Mason had to say:

Microsoft and our OEM partners know that many consumers are unwitting victims of piracy, and with Windows 10, we would like all of our customers to move forward with us together. While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, and as we’ve always done, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state. In addition, in partnership with some of our valued OEM partners, we are planning very attractive Windows 10 upgrade offers for their customers running one of their older devices in a Non-Genuine state. Please stay tuned to learn more from our partners on the specifics of their offers.

One way to work around this is by joining the Windows Insider Program and migrate to the Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview which will qualify for a free upgrade to the final RTM release of Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...4-45f4b7ed2fb9
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 18:48   #501
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Thanks Dave and those who advocated the use of 8/8.1 drivers for printers, just installed the 8.1 drivers and prints fine. Thanks for the help guys.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 18:51   #502
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Where does it say insiders get it free as i thought they said a few days ago we don't?

Oh just found it, still not sure whether to believe it though.
Old 19-05-2015, 18:53   #503
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Where does it say insiders get it free as i thought they said a few days ago we don't?
look at bold at bottom of my last post mate
Old 19-05-2015, 19:20   #504
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

oh yer! Well i didn't migrate i did a clean install so lets hope they give me a key, although it doesn't matter as i have a legal 8.1 install.

I am sure i read somewhere that this news was updated and they then said you still needed a valid windows key.

Quote:
So, to be on the safe side, its best you ensure you have a valid genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license installed in order to qualify for the final release. Company officials have noted though if you join the Windows Insider Program and upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to Windows 10, you will qualify for the free upgrade to the final release.

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

This is what i read where Gabriel Aul comfirmed after being pressed you still needed a valid key, so even though this post is dated 11th May and the other link says updated 18th May i am still not sure what is correct.

Quote:
Update: Gabe Aul has clarified that those upgrading will need a valid license for Windows 7 or 8.
http://www.neowin.net/news/nearly-4-...a-free-upgrade
Old 20-05-2015, 01:13   #505
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

A valid key from Windows Insider is a valid key.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 15:57   #506
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Gabriel Aul @GabeAul
· 14m 14 minutes ago
Good morning #WindowsInsiders! Today we have a new build for PC - 10122. We'll start making available in just a couple of hours, stay tuned.
Old 20-05-2015, 16:04   #507
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I was just about to post this, i guess it'll be on the fast ring? How long do builds via update take to install?

There are loads of windows store apps that have an update at the moment too, i like the new weather app and the people app doesn't crash anymore.
Old 20-05-2015, 16:06   #508
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze

Oh good. Thought I was going to have to wipe Windows off earlier, running so slow but found a couple of programs that even though I'd quit them about 6 hours before hand they were still running. Closed them down, deleted IE 11, tweaked my internet settings a bit and back to full speed. Even seems to load whilst doing other things.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

I can't even open the Store app.
Old 20-05-2015, 20:56   #509
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Try both versions of the app store, 1 is a beta.

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

Who has changed their Windows 10 updates to 'Fast ring' and can't stop running windows update? Guilty as charged here!

---------- Post added at 17:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

More info on which version of Windows 7 and 8.1 get which version of Windows 10 for free in the first year.

Windows 7 Home Basic and Home Premium, and Windows 8 and 8.1, will all upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate, and Windows 8 and 8.1 Pro, will all upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information...stions-remain/

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

The Red buttons been pressed, build is starting to roll out on the 'Fast Ring'.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/12...entry596856994

Loads of what is new here:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...10122-for-pcs/

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:10 ----------

Downloading the build now.

fbl_impressive professional 10122.

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

Installed now, the start menu is messed up, just mainly squares for the apss no text, Comodo firewall wont run, time for a reboot.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Another reboot fixed mostly the start menu although there are messy large icons of things i have added to it and the mail app looks in Russian.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Pinned apps and folders that aren't from the store look a mess and magnified.

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

Deleting and reinstalling Comodo fixed that issue and deleting the the Bulgarian keyboard language fixed the mail and calendar issues, just stuck with the messy start menu now with added apps and folders but then this is pre release software.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

Is it just me or are the window borders now white instead of grey?
Old 20-05-2015, 21:30   #510
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

Anyone else had issues with things in Chrome not being available to select? I use Internet Download Manager to download videos, and apart from around 6 hours since installation, it is greyed out in the right click menu whenever I click on a link.