Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dominic Cummings visited parents during lockdown measures

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Dominic Cummings visited parents during lockdown measures
Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2020, 22:30   #676
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Dominic Cummings visited parents during lockdown measures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You are plainly content that politicians and advisors you support can mislead the country without censure. However, the point was made that if this was a Labour administration, the current Tory supporters would the first in line to condemn, a point you chose not to address. Tribal support at the expense of objective reality.

Step back for a moment: the man in question is an advisor. An unelected employee of the Government. That's all. An objective assessment of this event would conclude that the message to the country, in the midst of a once in a century national health emergency was the priority here. No ifs or buts, the country would come first and any event that risked or compromised that message would handled accordingly. The real reason Cummings is still in place is what he holds over Johnson, Gove et. al. All this "nothing to see here", "media ****", etc. is just a smokescreen.

I do think that the Tories have miscalculated here and this will be an advantage to Starmer in the long run. The public mood, so at odds with you and the tribal Tories, is clear.

Quote:
You are plainly content that politicians and advisors you support can mislead the country without censure. However, the point was made that if this was a Labour administration, the current Tory supporters would the first in line to condemn, a point you chose not to address. Tribal support at the expense of objective reality.
Where do you get that shit from? You've done it again - ascribing to me absence of a response to a point not made in the post which I was replying. You still haven't apologised to me for the last occasion you did that a couple of days ago.

Quote:
Step back for a moment: the man in question is an advisor. An unelected employee of the Government. That's all. An objective assessment of this event would conclude that the message to the country, in the midst of a once in a century national health emergency was the priority here. No ifs or buts, the country would come first and any event that risked or compromised that message would handled accordingly. The real reason Cummings is still in place is what he holds over Johnson, Gove et. al. All this "nothing to see here", "media ****", etc. is just a smokescreen.
Why are you asking me to step back? I made a highly objective comment in my post. You know absolutely nothing about what, if anything, Cummins holds over the Tory hierarchy. You're worse than the "media ****".

Quote:
I do think that the Tories have miscalculated here and this will be an advantage to Starmer in the long run. The public mood, so at odds with you and the tribal Tories, is clear.
How you could justify that remark from the post I made is a mystery. Did you just feel like being nasty? I'm not a tribal Tory and you'd have a difficult time trying to prove that I am.

My advice is at your risk.
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2020, 22:53   #677
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You are plainly content that politicians and advisors you support can mislead the country without censure. However, the point was made that if this was a Labour administration, the current Tory supporters would the first in line to condemn
You mean in the same way Labour supporters are lining up to condemn this administration? Yes, but I don’t get your point as obviously they cancel each other out, don’t they?

Quote:
The real reason Cummings is still in place is what he holds over Johnson, Gove et. al.
he’s a key member of the Brexit squad, Brexit isn’t over. He also obviously has skills and talent, too much to throw away on a whim to the Media hounds

Quote:
I do think that the Tories have miscalculated here and this will be an advantage to Starmer in the long run.
. This is nothing, absolutely nothing. A side show and distraction which has actually taken a lot of heat off the Government. From other issues.

This will be forgotten about in days, not weeks.

Steamer will gain no advantage, Brexit is still unfinished that is where Starmer will battle Johnson......and Johnson will want his man next to him.
Old 28-05-2020, 22:56   #678
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
There is nothing he needs to apologise for, he owes you nothing, he owes me nothing. The only reason this story has carried on is because of the media obsession, nothing else. But you knew that already.
The debate was - would an apology have shut the story down. Not whether one was required by us.

My belief - which I understand is shared by many Conservative MPs - is that it would have done.

A lack of an apology meant the story dragged over into the weekend. It also led to the Rose Garden press briefing. This increased interest in the story again as we saw a behind-the-scenes adviser speak, which is unusual. Then we heard the Barnard Castle explanation. This fuelled interest even more as the public reacted adversely.
Old 28-05-2020, 23:07   #679
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
. This is nothing, absolutely nothing. A side show and distraction which has actually taken a lot of heat off the Government. From other issues.

This will be forgotten about in days, not weeks.

Steamer will gain no advantage, Brexit is still unfinished that is where Starmer will battle Johnson......and Johnson will want his man next to him.
I think this is a bit naive. This is a story that people noticed and it'll leave a sour taste in the mouth. Every pollster that has polled on this has found people are unhappy about it and they think he broke the rules. The Government's polling collapse over the weekend has been dramatic: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4451501.html

This is something people noticed, this is something they were upset about.

The polling will likely recover but it won't be completely forgotten. Governments are rarely critically harmed by a single scandal but they can only get so many before the cumulative effect begins to tell. People are less willing to give the benefit of the doubt later, people remember the previous ones when another one pops up, their image of the party takes a hit in their minds.

As hits go, this was a bad one to take. You rarely get something as powerful as this which has as big as an impact as this did in the poll. As I said the number will ease over time but it's far from 'a sideshow' which has taken heat from the Government. Johnson paid the price to keep Cummings.
Old 28-05-2020, 23:09   #680
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
There is nothing he needs to apologise for, he owes you nothing, he owes me nothing. The only reason this story has carried on is because of the media obsession, nothing else. But you knew that already.
He obviously doesn't 'owe' anyone an apology.

However, fundamentally he's part of a Government that has broken it's bond of trust with the people. That's why 52% - a clear majority if I recall - of Leave voters think he should resign and it's only the politicised Conservative voter base (who understand his importance to the party) resisting the public majority.

That trust is bought, and lost, through being honest with people and delivering on promises.

The Government asked the public to act in good faith, adhering to behaviours it did not mandate in regulations but only in guidance. Cummings clearly has acted in bad faith, in contravention of the guidance and pushed the limit (or exceeded) the 'reasonableness' in legislation.

Either because he thinks rules should not apply to him, or because he made an error of judgement. One of those two scenarios plays out better with the public than the other, I'm amazed such an amazing political strategist has gone for the wrong one.

Edit: separate comment I'm enjoying Seph's patriotism with blue and red test on white backgrounds.

Last edited by jfman; 28-05-2020 at 23:18.
Old 28-05-2020, 23:36   #681
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The debate was - would an apology have shut the story down. Not whether one was required by us.

My belief - which I understand is shared by many Conservative MPs - is that it would have done.
No chance, only a resignation or public flogging would do.
Old 28-05-2020, 23:40   #682
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
No chance, only a resignation or public flogging would do.
For some yes, but I doubt all of the 52% of leave voters, and 46% of Conservative voters.

It suits Conservatives (and those who don't identify as Conservative, but leap to their defence at every opportunity) to portray this as a polarising issue though and wave the Brexit flag. A lazy, ill-considered response hoping the dog whistle will come to the rescue.

I don't consider the Daily Mail, Isabel Oakeshott and Julia Hartley-Brewer as a bunch of left leaning remainers.
Old 28-05-2020, 23:45   #683
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think this is a bit naive. This is a story that people noticed and it'll leave a sour taste in the mouth. Every pollster that has polled on this has found people are unhappy about it and they think he broke the rules. The Government's polling collapse over the weekend has been dramatic: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4451501.html

This is something people noticed, this is something they were upset about.
Polling is pretty irrelevant right now.

it’s transient. In the long game come 2024, this will not be an issue in the campaign, I am sure of it. But only my opinion obvs.

If this happened in 2023 or later I would agree. But now.....nah.

There is so much to be done now, Brexit, the economy after covid etc. The Cummings fiasco will be long forgotten, there are major issues ahead.
Old 28-05-2020, 23:53   #684
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

it’s transient. In the long game come 2024, this will not be an issue in the campaign, I am sure of it. But only my opinion obvs.

There is so much to be done now, Brexit, the economy after covid etc. The Cummings fiasco will be long forgotten, there are major issues ahead.
You falsely assume politics is governed by the electoral cycle. Johnson's leadership could easily be called into question before then, in which case the Cummings debacle, plus inept Coronavirus response, will enter the game far sooner than 2024.

The Tories love a good knifing of a leader. Will it be Gove, Sunak, Raab? All leaders in waiting watching Boris flounder.

Over 60 Tory MPs on the record calling for DC to go. Easily a higher number off the record.
Old 28-05-2020, 23:57   #685
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Notwithstanding the Cummings pickle, what I like is that Boris stands fast.
Bodes well for Brexit. Also Boris' brush with a CV death influences his judgement and the risks he's prepared to allow on CV.

Cummings is nothing in the grand scheme of dealing with CV. So all you bayers - just as bad as some of the media.

My advice is at your risk.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 29-05-2020 at 00:00.
Old 29-05-2020, 00:03   #686
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
For some yes, but I doubt all of the 52% of leave voters, and 46% of Conservative voters.

It suits Conservatives (and those who don't identify as Conservative, but leap to their defence at every opportunity) to portray this as a polarising issue though and wave the Brexit flag. A lazy, ill-considered response hoping the dog whistle will come to the rescue.

I don't consider the Daily Mail, Isabel Oakeshott and Julia Hartley-Brewer as a bunch of left leaning remainers.
How I don’t care how many times you refer to this not being about Brexit when it so clear is.

Insignificant polls mean jack shit. Polls have been wrong and are not reliable factor for accuracy measure of public mood. Isabel Oakshott, last time I saw her tweet had accepted DC’s explanation and suggested the country move forward, I concur.
Old 29-05-2020, 00:06   #687
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]Notwithstanding the Cummings pickle, what I like is that Boris stands fast.
I’ve mentioned this before the fact that the media haven’t got their head on a plate is wrecking their heads.

And oh my god listening to question time................

The Stephen Kinnock scenario was brought up, in relation to the Cummings situation, and the Bruce immediately jumped in and justified it because he was doing “shopping” for his dad. Whereas the care of a 4 year old Is far less important.

Even the several of the public participants on QT have said we’re not interested, Move on.......
Old 29-05-2020, 00:07   #688
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Ooer look at the time. Nighty night.
Old 29-05-2020, 08:11   #689
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Open again but everyone play nicely
Old 29-05-2020, 09:12   #690
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

I do think their poll ratings will recover if there are no other set-backs. I just think this is a setback and these types of scandals accumulate over time impacting the general perception of the Government.
Closed Thread