Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | setting up router ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

setting up router ?

Old 09-04-2005, 15:04   #1
tony-mac
Inactive

tony-mac is an unknown quantity at this point
setting up router ?

I have just got my broadband connection , its working great ,
I now want to set up my router , has anyone here set up a Linksys WRT54GS ?
The instructions say I need to know my specific type of internet connection ,
the choices are
1 Automatic Configuration-DHCP
2 Static IP
3 PPPoE
4 PPTP
5 Heartbeat Signal (australia only-so unlikely)

if its 2 static i need the ip address , subnet mask , gateway and DNS info to set up the router ,
I hope its 1 auto , that looks the easiest .
thanks for any help or advice .
tony-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2005, 15:17   #2
philquinney
Inactive

philquinney is on a distinguished roadphilquinney is on a distinguished road
Re: setting up router ?

Hi tony-mac,

If you're on NTL or Telewest you need Automatic Configuration (DHCP). If you're using a cable modem make sure you turn it off for five minutes before connecting your router. If you're on a Set Top Box you'll need to go through the provisioning system you went through when you first set up broadband (or you could use the MAC Address Clone feature of your router: take the MAC Address from your the machine you originally had connected and put that onto your router).

Hope this helps,

Phil.
philquinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 15:19   #3
geminian68
Inactive

Services: VM: V.I.P, 50mb.
geminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of light

What version of Windows are you using?
geminian68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 15:20   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Hi tony-mac,

philquinney's advice above is sound (nice one phil )

Don't forget (once you've got it all working, obvious) to go through and enable the various security features of the router.

If you're not sure what/how just post back and there's bound to be someone around who can help.

Have fun.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2005, 21:28   #5
frank.lui
Inactive

frank.lui is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great! That is just the question I want to ask.

I use NTL cable modem and desktop (win2k) to go to internet at moment. Now I got Linksys WRT 54GS and I want to connect my desktop (Win2k) and my old laptop (Win2k) through wired ports and my new Laptop through wireless.
Yesterday I tried to link desktop/router/cablemodem but failed. I chose DHCP but did not swith off for five minutes. So I guess that is the problem now, with your kind advice.
My another question is how about the other two laptop? Should I install NTL cable modem programme at each laptop or do something else?
From other websites, I got some confusing information. Can you guys give me a direction?

And anything else I need to pay attention to when I install the router?
FrankL

One more, is there any section of this forum giving general instruction of setting up home network with NTL broadband? It would be very helpful as more and more people are looking at this. Some of my friends are looking at my trial...........
frank.lui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2005, 21:43   #6
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

You shouldnt need the NTL software on your other computers / laptops. It is not needed.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2005, 22:28   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

You only need the software if you are connecting to the Cable Modem via a USB connection.

As the router you have doesn't have USB connections you must be using ethernet/wireless connections. So..... You don't need the software.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 00:59   #8
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

Yep, if you've already registered your cable modem with NTL (remember those green & purple account creation pages?) then you don't need to use a USB connection nor do you need to re-install the NTL software.
I'd go with the DHCP option for now, but as you get more advanced you might want to switch to static IP addressing.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 07:39   #9
frank.lui
Inactive

Thanks guys, the helps are really quickly. I start to like this forum.

I am using ethernet/wireless connection.
Just try to dig a bit more technically. When select DHCP, I cannot find any place to input NTL user name and password. So I assume there is no such information stored in router (am I wrong?). So it is easy to understand the running of desktop as I already install NTL thing there before. But how about the two laptops? how can NTL server knows it is my computer is connecting (via my account?)?

Old 14-04-2005, 08:12   #10
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

You don't need a user name or password to connect to the cable broadband once your account is activated via the STB or SACM that you connect through. As far as I know you provision the computers you want to use against your account and NTL keep track of things via the MAC addresses of the networking hardware that the user is connecting through. (network cards etc) As long as the laptops are provisioned against your account they should be ok.
The thing is that with your setup NTL only see the wireless router MAC anyway, the router is what is sharing the account to the other equipment and as long as the laptops are set up to communicate with the router properly you shouldn't have any problems with it.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 10:36   #11
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.lui
Thanks guys, the helps are really quickly. I start to like this forum.

I am using ethernet/wireless connection.
Just try to dig a bit more technically. When select DHCP, I cannot find any place to input NTL user name and password. So I assume there is no such information stored in router (am I wrong?). So it is easy to understand the running of desktop as I already install NTL thing there before. But how about the two laptops? how can NTL server knows it is my computer is connecting (via my account?)?

NTL only see the router as Paul said. You have to ensure that you have adequate security on your wireless network or anyone within range can access the internet through your connection.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 16:41   #12
frank.lui
Inactive

I have set up the wired LAN and can surf the internet from desktop and old laptop.

What I did was copying the MAC address of desktop to router (MAC cloning). And for safety, I disabled wireless function until I fully understand how to set up it.

Thanks for everyone, your advice is really helpful!