Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V360 engineer arriving soon

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

V360 engineer arriving soon

Old 13-01-2021, 19:25   #1
Badmana
cf.member

Badmana is an unknown quantity at this point
Question V360 engineer arriving soon

I stupidly signed up for a V360 box and 2 mini's without doing my research first. I've been on these forums trying to find answers to my questions but I have a few more i need answered before I allow that VM engineer to reverse on my driveway to downgrade my current V6's. I'm usually over keen on adopting new tech and was excited when I got my first V6 box 3-4 years ago (but my spider senses are telling me I should hold back.

Currently I have 3 * V6 boxes, I THINK 2 are 2GB and the 3rd is a 1GB. How can I be sure? I cant find anything in the settings of either V6 box.

1. what's the hard drive size of my V360 main box? I'm a little reluctant to share it with other family members if its a measly 1GB box. My daughter's box is usually in the 90% full range and my other 2 boxes hover around the 30% full mark. I usually record all Champions and Prem league football as I never know what channel my team is going to be on, its not unusual for me to have a dozen matches of at at least 2-3 hours each at any one time but they are deleted after I've found the channel my team are on.
If its only 1 Gb box I can see us kicking up a fuss cos one of us couldn't record a program due to storage limitataions.

2. Can I just get the engineer to install the main V360 box in the living room and leave the other V6 boxes alone? If so, will I still be able to watch what was recorded on my V360 box in the living room upstairs on my V6 box?
2.5 Also I heard that the mini boxes have a completely different user interface, if so, is it any good and what are its limitations? There is so little info on YouTube about the 360's or the minis. I've only managed to find 3 half decent videos on the subject.

3. If I do intend on getting those mini 360 boxes for the bedrooms, can I then remove the coaxial cable as I'm assuming they are fully wireless or am I way off here? I'd like to get a 4th mini box in a room that doesn't currently have an STB so I'm hoping i wouldn't have to have any ugly coaxial cable dominating my skirting boards.

4. I'm not sure what this series link problem is all about, if I find a series I like say Game Of Thrones, does this mean I can't series link and I'll have to record each episode separately? Also will my existing series link on my current V6 boxes follow me to my new V360 boxes or will I have to series link everything again from scratch?

5. Profiles: Is it very easy and most of all QUICK to go into profiles on the new V360 box - I can just see this being a pain if its not. Also, if say my wife starts recording something she's currently watching, who's profile does it automatically go in? And can you move recorded stuff to different profiles?
As an example, if I turn on my V360 box and start recording under my profile, when finished I put my V360 box in standby. Some hours later my wife then turns on the box and starts recording something else, will this end up in my profile for recordings? Seems insignificant at first but I know she wont be willing to switch profiles every tine she picks up the remote control. How does it work? I'm starting to think I should just keep my 3* V6 boxes for as long as I can as I guess VM will force everyone onto this software when they sort out the OTA issues on ARRIS boxes.

5. If I decide I'm really not getting on with these V360s and mini's can I decide to ring Virgin, wait 3 hours for them to answer my call and request my V6 boxes to be reinstalled?

6. Does anyone know if the old peanut remote control works with the new V360? I know I'll loose some functionality but its taken me years to build the muscle memory so that I can control the peanut remote without looking at the buttons. Its actually ergonomically designed the new one seems squawky, that will just P me off while using it if I'm hearing squeaking all the time.

7. On some YouTube video I see there are 4 rewind and forward cursors on the screen as opposed to 3 on my V6, does it actually rewind/forward faster?

8.. I have a Broadlink RF device hooked up to my V6 and google home mini's so that I can verbally automate many functions on V6 box without having to press a button (its far superior to the speech function on the remote control of the new v360. Does anyone use Broadlink and have managed to add the new V360 service into the Broadlink app?

9. Anyone using Google Nest Wifi with new v360 boxes? Were there any install issues with the Wi-Fi or any issue you may have come across. I don't want to have to go back to using my hub 3 as a wifi router, its awful, even with the boosters.

I know its a lot of questions but I'd be grateful if you can only answer 1 questions.
Badmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2021, 19:33   #2
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one
Re: V360 engineer arriving soon

All V6 boxes are 1gb
You cannot mix the 360 and V6 on the account
Once you change you can't change back

Others may help with other questions.

I suggest you cancel.
Old 13-01-2021, 19:34   #3
Badmana
cf.member

Cheers
Old 13-01-2021, 20:07   #4
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmana View Post

1. what's the hard drive size of my V360 main box? I'm a little reluctant to share it with other family members if its a measly 1GB box. My daughter's box is usually in the 90% full range and my other 2 boxes hover around the 30% full mark. I usually record all Champions and Prem league football as I never know what channel my team is going to be on, its not unusual for me to have a dozen matches of at at least 2-3 hours each at any one time but they are deleted after I've found the channel my team are on.
If its only 1 Gb box I can see us kicking up a fuss cos one of us couldn't record a program due to storage limitataions.

1TB on main box as all V6 boxes. I’m getting upgraded and not being sent new boxes - just remotes

2. Can I just get the engineer to install the main V360 box in the living room and leave the other V6 boxes alone? If so, will I still be able to watch what was recorded on my V360 box in the living room upstairs on my V6 box?

No it is all 360 or V6 not a mix

3. If I do intend on getting those mini 360 boxes for the bedrooms, can I then remove the coaxial cable as I'm assuming they are fully wireless or am I way off here? I'd like to get a 4th mini box in a room that doesn't currently have an STB so I'm hoping i wouldn't have to have any ugly coaxial cable dominating my skirting boards.

The boxes all require to be connected via coax, I also read on another post that 3 is the maximum amount of boxes that work on the system

5. If I decide I'm really not getting on with these V360s and mini's can I decide to ring Virgin, wait 3 hours for them to answer my call and request my V6 boxes to be reinstalled?

No there is no going back

6. Does anyone know if the old peanut remote control works with the new V360? I know I'll loose some functionality but its taken me years to build the muscle memory so that I can control the peanut remote without looking at the buttons. Its actually ergonomically designed the new one seems squawky, that will just P me off while using it if I'm hearing squeaking all the time.

No the V6 remote won’t work with 360
I hope this helps

Last edited by ScottishSteve; 13-01-2021 at 20:10.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 20:13   #5
Badmana
cf.member

Thank You....Your replies are super helpful. How can I get my current V6 boxes upgraded to the new 360 software?
Old 13-01-2021, 20:32   #6
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Thank You....Your replies are super helpful. How can I get my current V6 boxes upgraded to the new 360 software?
It is by email invite only at the moment to those who are on Ultimate Oomph
Old 13-01-2021, 20:40   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I wouldn't do it if I were you, but you said earlier that you had already signed up for TV360? Did you receive an email invite?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 20:55   #8
Badmana
cf.member

I did about 2 months ago before I negotiated a new contract a few days ago and went on the ultimate ooomph package, didn't hear anything back but when on the phone to VM a few days ago they asked me if I wanted the new 360 boxes and I agreed.. I think I'm going to turn the engineer away and refuse them. I only want this new software if I can have the software downloaded over the air to upgrade my existing boxes, I want to stay away from those mini boxes. With no local storage they'll cause mayhem in my house. L tanner your advice. Hopefully s few more bugs will be ironed out that really shouldn't have been their post launch.
Old 13-01-2021, 21:14   #9
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I for one ain't interested in their new software, my V6 boxes work perfectly fine.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 12:42   #10
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

If you are retaining the existing Arris V6 boxes the hard drives remain active in all the boxes on any upgrade to Horizon.

Its only if you swap out to the new Humax boxes that you are stuck with the new platform & one ahrd drive.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 22:33   #11
Badmana
cf.member

Thank you, id much rather keep my existing boxes and edit for the OTA upgrade, I phoned VM earlier this morning to cancel the install , 3 times over 3 hours. Got bored of being on hold plus they chewed up my available minutes on my phone so I hung up, just going to turn the engineer away when he arrives. Shame really.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 14-01-2021, 23:01   #12
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

Quote:
Thank you, id much rather keep my existing boxes and edit for the OTA upgrade, I phoned VM earlier this morning to cancel the install , 3 times over 3 hours. Got bored of being on hold plus they chewed up my available minutes on my phone so I hung up, just going to turn the engineer away when he arrives. Shame really.
Thanks for your advice.
If you log in to your online account you should have an option to cancel.

It seems strange that they are sending an engineer out to swap out boxes.
Old 15-01-2021, 00:02   #13
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
It seems strange that they are sending an engineer out to swap out boxes.
It's because he's got three boxes. There are only self-install kits for one or two.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 00:34   #14
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It's because he's got three boxes. There are only self-install kits for one or two.
Thanks for confirming
Old 15-01-2021, 01:36   #15
Badmana
cf.member

tried online before i jumped on the phone - website says i need to call if i want to cancel...also, one other thing...has anyone connected their second V6 box with ethernet, is it worth it ? what exactly is running wirelessly if I've got I'm currently using coaxial for my second box in bedroom? Is it just if i watch a programme recorded on the downstairs box via the bedroom box upstairs?

Only asking because I'm going to be lifting a few floorboards up net week so wondewred if its worth it purchasing/installing a network cable