Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23-09-2004, 00:31   #1426
carlingman
Inactive

carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal
carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko
Ah! so the day has not been completely wasted then. Goodbye.

Oh and since you will have no need of any Cable discussions, I look forward to news of your demise from this forum.

I am not allowed to make personal digs on here, so this is aimed at any/all whining boring trolling annoying gits that pass through.
Oh great so i suppose NTL losing another customer is great news

Also this fourm is not just for NTL customers or at least that was my impression as to why they renamed it cable forum

As for the personal digs bit probably just as well judging by the treatment Mark is currently receiving from NTL.

Advertisement
Old 23-09-2004, 00:34   #1427
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
Actually, if I'm honest (and I have both an ntl AND a BT phone line, for perfectly valid reasons), I generally find BT these days to be pretty efficient. Their level of service has improved dramatically in recent years and, like ntl, they've never let me down.

I'm also with Orange and they've been largely faultless too. I seem to have a general good experience in the Telecoms industry, perhaps I'm lucky.

Don't get me started on energy suppliers though...sheesh.....
I am with BT as well. Our main phone line is with BT, not because BT is really any better than NTL, just that everyone I know knows the number and I can't be bothered to move it, and I'll admit Caller ID is nice (and not offered in my area by NTL - not moaning though). On occasion, we have had trouble with BT (same with NTL) . But, in my experience, like NTL,they are generally reliable, and sort out most problems reasonably quickly.

As I have said earlier (on this forum, if not this thread), I don't expect any company to provide an entirely fault free service.

It would have been nice if NTL had offered a cable modem instead of just announcing that they were replacing my STB (although I understand, logistically that may have been difficult). Having said that, I'd probably have opted to keep the STB as installing a Cable modem would have meant rewiring either the area around my PC (bad idea), or the area around the STB (would need more power sockets), so installing a Cable modem would be quite a major job.
Old 23-09-2004, 01:30   #1428
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

After wading through this rather heated lot tonight can I just remind you all to not post personal insults at each other. Thanks.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 23-09-2004, 10:16   #1429
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheNW
<snipped bits i've not commented on>If I could go with any other cable company I would, Telewest managed to upgrade their network in a short period of time...NTL announced this 6 months or so ago and its still going on...Telewest announce it and bam within 2 weeks every area is upgraded.

Bring on the day this shambles known as NTL ends up being bought out by a company that can actually run a proper service and listen to what their customers have to say instead of pretending to and then doing nothing about it.

Just amazes me how our cable system is actually meant to be better than the one in the USA yet they can have their speeds up left right and centre no hassle, while us poor sods here can't even have that done without no end of trouble.
It may well be the case that TW planned their upgrade for 6 months before the announcement, then bam, swiched, at the time of the announcement it was considered on here that NTL were caught on the hop by TW and had to take an us too response and then put together a team to make that happen.

NTL is unlily to be bought out, the best that will happen is a merger of NTL and TW, but that is sometime off.

Our cable infrastructure may well be newer, but that does not always mean better. As the cable infrastructure never managed to steal a lead on sat in the UK it has has an enourmous capital investment with very little return to investors, cable managed to become the dominant infrastructure in the US, as such made a return that has enabled more investment, thus, more UBRs and higher speeds, but they certainly pay for this. My Mother in Law's Time Warner Cable is $45 a month (for 3Meg), but she would love to be able to pay less for a lower speed, not an option though. Oh she also has to pay $50 for install, no free install there.

So they have many customers paying lots of cash, and have a basic infrastructure that has been in place years and largely paid for and can afford to use the BB revenue to invest in the service, not pay for the basic capital debt of infrastrucure build.
Old 23-09-2004, 13:12   #1430
LostintheNW
Inactive

Services: Plenty thanks
LostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation era

To whoever gave me the red rep point, I would condem NTL even if I had been upgraded, its been an ongoing issue deciding whether or not to keep the crap service - as for blocky pictures, stuttering etc quite used to that
Old 23-09-2004, 13:19   #1431
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
To whoever gave me the red rep point,
wasn't me...

Quote:
I would condem NTL even if I had been upgraded, its been an ongoing issue deciding whether or not to keep the crap service - as for blocky pictures, stuttering etc quite used to that
I thought you'd already decided to get rid of the service??

Quote:
Actually I wasnt complaining about the price just the fact I am paying more for a lower speed.

And as it stands as of one month from today there will be no NTL services in my house, I am off to Sky and ADSL - oh and a big thank you to NTL for supplying me with a crap STB that freezes, skips, sound clipping etc just what I Like paying a fortune for

Adios NTL its been ****!
Old 23-09-2004, 13:20   #1432
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
as for blocky pictures, stuttering etc quite used to that
Then you need an engineer appointment as your signal levels are wrong.
Old 23-09-2004, 13:32   #1433
LostintheNW
Inactive

Services: Plenty thanks
LostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation era

There have been many engineer visits since we had digital installed years ago, the only thing that would actually keep the box upstairs working was an antenuater fitted, but even without that in place the samsung box is worse than the pace box. A cable repull has been done and the signal strengthed upped and upped as much.

Orangebird its been an issue for awhile meaning that I have been thinking about getting rid of the service, which has been done, if I am going to pay a fortune every month for a shoddy tv service I would rather give it sky! or simply switch to Freeview
Old 23-09-2004, 13:34   #1434
SMHarman
Inactive

Quote:
There have been many engineer visits since we had digital installed years ago, the only thing that would actually keep the box upstairs working was an antenuater fitted, but even without that in place the samsung box is worse than the pace box. A cable repull has been done and the signal strengthed upped and upped as much.
Could the signal be too strong - seems to have been looked into lots though.
Old 26-09-2004, 16:22   #1435
jane
Inactive

jane has a spectacular aura about themjane has a spectacular aura about themjane has a spectacular aura about themjane has a spectacular aura about them

anyone in the swansea area been upgraded yet? im supposed to be done in sept but im still waiting!!
Old 28-09-2004, 15:57   #1436
RazorD
Inactive

RazorD is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here, in Swindon SN3... according the planned maitenance for a week, its not happening here this week, looks like october then
Old 28-09-2004, 16:04   #1437
KevAmiga
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, SH2. Phone, Mobile.
KevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to KevAmiga Send a message via Yahoo to KevAmiga

@ jane

Yup, all me, my dad, my sister are all upgraded to the new tarrifs.

Call 0845 6500121 and one of the techs can remove / readd your modem should up your speed.

Kev
Old 28-09-2004, 17:16   #1438
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice

I was rung at the end of last week and asked to have an engineer come around and swap my Set Top box, I told them I already have a Samsung (had one since I joined a few months back), they then told me that I was going to upgraded to 1.5 meg on the 28th September (today!) - it hasn't happened yet though...
Old 28-09-2004, 19:00   #1439
madcap
Inactive

madcap is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanUK
I was rung at the end of last week and asked to have an engineer come around and swap my Set Top box, I told them I already have a Samsung (had one since I joined a few months back), they then told me that I was going to upgraded to 1.5 meg on the 28th September (today!) - it hasn't happened yet though...
coooool, i've been getting excited about the closeness of Oct 1st but now I'm even more excited, looking forward to the big 1.5Mb STB switch on
Old 28-09-2004, 19:21   #1440
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice

Only a few hours of the 28th left now, still no upgrade...
Closed Thread