Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 14:16   #1336
RAJ
Inactive

RAJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by mognuts
I emailed Scott Gooding to ask what was going on and he replied (which was nice) and he insisted that the telephone number was correct but since I was having problems I could make the appointment by email instead, which I did.

Interestingly, when he replied he expalined why I needed the upgrade and said that my Pace STB would have to be replaced by a SACM. I was under the impression that everybody in London SE9 who had broadband had to use a STB to get broadband if they also subscribe to TV services. I was not aware that a separate SACM was an option. Is this true, or have ntl made another balls up?

Actually he was right you will get a sacm. I asked about this as I'm in SE2 and have had mine changed today. The reason for the change is that the samsungs only work in the CR3 areas or so I've been told by one of the london service managers.

this only affects you if you have the one meg service and are being upgraded to 1.5 meg. anything less than that and the pace stb can handle it.

Pain really as it means getting the ntl bods to migrate the stb account onto the sacm one and you just know that's not going to go well!
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2004, 16:03   #1337
bigcol
Inactive

bigcol is an unknown quantity at this point

Advice Please

I am in Manchester M40 Area using a set top box. 150mbs

The postcode checker says my aria was upgraded 6th of August.

However no upgrade as yet, and calling technical support several times has resulted in my BB being cut off twice. Over 2 hours on hold, and no answers as to why no speed upgrade.

Is there any way to find out if the upgrade has been don. And if so, how to get CS / tech support to fix the problem.

BTW Before 6th August I was getting an avarage of 240mbs, and the speed dropped after the upgrade was said to have been done.

many thanks

colin
Old 10-09-2004, 16:46   #1338
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

There are a couple of ntl people who will probably pick this up for you later tonight.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 10-09-2004, 19:11   #1339
bigcol
Inactive

hiya,

Tonight has been fun and I am almost at the bottom of the problem.

I came home tonight to the NTL bill. A nice mistake had resulted in over £480 of credit.

A call to CS and a very helpfull chap gave me a free upgrade for three months to 750kbs as a thanks for letting them know of the mistake. It turned out that sombody had enterd a wrong code when I called CS last week about the speed problems and refunded all my broadband charges since 2001.

However the Set Top Box has refused to upgrade to silver after several attempts. And is still showing copper.

Now awating Technical support as it looks like the STB is faulty.
col
Old 10-09-2004, 19:25   #1340
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcol
hiya,

Tonight has been fun and I am almost at the bottom of the problem.

I came home tonight to the NTL bill. A nice mistake had resulted in over £480 of credit.

A call to CS and a very helpfull chap gave me a free upgrade for three months to 750kbs as a thanks for letting them know of the mistake. It turned out that sombody had enterd a wrong code when I called CS last week about the speed problems and refunded all my broadband charges since 2001.

However the Set Top Box has refused to upgrade to silver after several attempts. And is still showing copper.

col
£480

- you are, obviously, a very honest person

I hope they sort out your upgrade soon

Old 10-09-2004, 22:08   #1341
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Quote:
Unlikely - if it downloads a working copper file it's still on copper in provisioning - you probably have your hit* stuck in the usual delays (couple of hours is standard I think). Try giving it a cold reboot in the morning - there's almost certainly nothing wrong with an STB (I can't think of anything that would make it download the wrong file, anyway).

If you like I'll keep an eye on it - drop me the MAC address and I'll take a shufti.

* 'hit' means 'message from the CSR to the provisioning system to say "please put this chap on silver"'.

Your honesty is admirable. Hats should be taken off to you.
Old 11-09-2004, 00:18   #1342
bigcol
Inactive

Many Thanks,

The Silver came through after 2 1/2 hours. The speed tests at around 550. So this has not fixed not getting the Speed update.

How do I find out the MAC address on the STB?

Col
Old 11-09-2004, 08:28   #1343
BBKing
R.I.P.

BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star

OK, just give us the number starting 06xx on the smart card then - can find it off that and it's easier for you to find (the MAC is usually on a label underneath, but don't worry about it).
Old 11-09-2004, 09:59   #1344
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
Thanks StopIt...will give it a reboot to see if that makes a difference.
OK left the SACM unplugged from the mains overnight, swicthed it back this morning, still 600k in Luton area. Any help please?

ps...I ran the Autoregister thing, and that says I'm on 750k too.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:48   #1345
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

All the package descriptions have been changed to show the new speeds, in my opinion a tad too early since not everywhere's been done yet.

End of September is the final date being given out on the IVRs to tech support at the moment, and I do know not everywhere has been done yet. Also, (for any STT customers) though I may be incorrect, I don't think any set top boxes have been done as they haven't finished doing the Samsung swap outs, that was the last info I had but it may be out of date.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:14   #1346
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
OK left the SACM unplugged from the mains overnight, swicthed it back this morning, still 600k in Luton area. Any help please?

Hmm, does http://192.168.100.1 (user + pass : root) show you as 750 or 600k? If its 600k But the autoreg says 750k, I would ring up T/S and ask if theres anything wrong, does sound a bit iffy

Edit : Just realised what MarkB meant, eheh, Still, when the Luton DHCP was upgraded in august, it appeared that everyone on it was upgraded, maybe it wasnt but its worth calling T/S just to check :p
Old 11-09-2004, 13:44   #1347
mognuts
Inactive

mognuts is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow
If you've got a Pace STB, It'll be replaced by a Samsung STB, not a SACM. So yup, he was wrong.
I've got the swap arranged for Monday afternoon, so I'll let you know what I get.
Old 11-09-2004, 14:56   #1348
BBKing
R.I.P.

Quote:
Not sure it's clever enough to know exactly what speed you're on - it probably knows you're on silver, and is assuming silver=750k. As Mark said, a trifle early!

Re: Luton DHCPs - the SACM upgrades were done on a per card basis (actually, all modems on a card), not a per-DHCP basis. Thus it's quite feasible for two people off the same DHCP to have different speeds.
Old 11-09-2004, 15:18   #1349
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Thanks for the advice Stopit, BB & Mark - I'll hang on till the end of Sept (I bet TS are fed up with being asked the question right now!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It
Hmm, does http://192.168.100.1 (user + pass : root) show you as 750 or 600k?
I'm not really sure where I should be looking for this in the SACM pages. I'm on a Motorola SB3100. There are a couple of things in the log that look iffy though....

Quote:
040911084456 4-Error X501.35 Unit Update Failed.
Quote:
040911084455 4-Error X501.28 Unit Update - Not updating. This image is not for this platform.
Also this one that mentions silver...guessing it is my level of service....

Quote:
040911084450 7-Information D509.0 Retrieved TFTP Config tmota4100-silver.cm SUCCESS
Old 11-09-2004, 15:47   #1350
BBKing
R.I.P.

Quote:
tmota4100-silver.cm
That's the temporary tier of service - what people were put on before the upgrade - the upgrade itself was done by rolling out the new CM files and changing people back to the non-temporary tiers - in your case that would be mota4100-silver.cm.

Now, either you've been missed or your card has been delayed due to capacity work, which quite a few have been. Can't be definite at the moment.
Closed Thread