Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 27-02-2021, 23:57   #511
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
What are your thoughts, Andrew? I know you will try your best to be impartial...

Old 28-02-2021, 00:13   #512
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

It could go either way, OB.

One version, based on past form (recent) might be: If we don't want to abide by a legally binding treaty, we shouldn't have signed it".

Of course, if that's what Andrew replies, he's quite right. We shouldn't have signed that treaty/deal and we should simply have left the EU,

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 00:22   #513
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What are your thoughts, Andrew? I know you will try your best to be impartial...

From my English perspective, this is the deal that the UK government signed up to. We should obviously honour it, and continue with construction. Red tape increases this March and April so we need the facilities built and the bureaucrats recruited to minimise delays between GB and NI.

But I don't live in NI and it might be politically savvy to slow construction down if the climate is not condusive.

Unfortunately, all your predictions about uninvented technologies solving the Irish border situation never came to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It could go either way, OB.

One version, based on past form (recent) might be: If we don't want to abide by a legally binding treaty, we shouldn't have signed it".

Of course, if that's what Andrew replies, he's quite right. We shouldn't have signed that treaty/deal and we should simply have left the EU,

Good call.

Leaving the EU without an NI agreement in place? This would have breached the Good Friday Agreement. WTO membership by the EU and UK would require have required a treaty-breaching hard border on the island of Ireland.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 28-02-2021 at 00:29.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 00:53   #514
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
I watched a channel 4 documentary called the truth about chlorinated chicken the other day, the thing I took from it is if we let it in there is no way we couldn't drop our standards here to compete with them, the practices from handling the meat, to conditions in the factory for cleanliness and opportunities for cross contamination are not things we should tolerate here under any circumstances and that's without even mentioning how the staff are treated
The reason it was banned in the EU WASN'T because it wasn't safe, but because it WAS TOO safe. How is washing with JUST air and water, safer than washing with air AND water AND chlorinated wash? If a method is found that is even more effective than a chlorinated wash(M&S did trials using liquid air), then automatically the EU would ban it.

If the chicken plants in Poland had been allowed to use a chlorinated wash, then the food poisoning there might not have existed or been a lot less.
Link

Quote:
It's not consuming chlorine itself that the EU is worried about - in fact in 2005 the European Food Safety Authority said that "exposure to chlorite residues arising from treated poultry carcasses would be of no safety concern". Chlorine-rinsed bagged salads are common in the UK and other countries in the EU.

Chlorine does reduce the bacteria on chicken, although by how much is disputed - the World Health Organization has highlighted that studies on the effectiveness of chlorine treatment give mixed results.

A study from the University of Southampton last year found that chlorine could make food-borne pathogens undetectable, giving lower microbial counts in testing, but without actually killing them - so they might remain capable of causing disease.

Quote:
Not all food poisoning is from meat, though - although poultry is the most common cause - and not all food poisoning is down to the production process. Some bacteria will generally be left on the skin of a chicken so the care with which it's handled and cooked at home are extremely important.
The real reason for the EU ban.
Quote:
Washing chicken in chlorine and other disinfectants to remove harmful bacteria was a practice banned by the European Union (EU) in 1997 over food safety concerns. The ban has stopped virtually all imports of US chicken meat which is generally treated by this process.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 00:57   #515
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
From my English perspective, this is the deal that the UK government signed up to. We should obviously honour it, and continue with construction. Red tape increases this March and April so we need the facilities built and the bureaucrats recruited to minimise delays between GB and NI.

But I don't live in NI and it might be politically savvy to slow construction down if the climate is not condusive.

Unfortunately, all your predictions about uninvented technologies solving the Irish border situation never came to pass.

Good call.

Leaving the EU without an NI agreement in place? This would have breached the Good Friday Agreement. WTO membership by the EU and UK would require have required a treaty-breaching hard border on the island of Ireland.
I don't agree with you that leaving without a deal would have breached the GFA. That was EU spin, imo. It would have stirred the pot, somewhat - but no deal is not a breach. The breach would occur if the perfidious EU erected a border between the two. It really should have been chucked back to the EU to sort out.

I totally blame Mrs May as I said earlier in the thread.

Old 28-02-2021, 01:11   #516
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
From my English perspective, this is the deal that the UK government signed up to.
It was the only deal on offer, and to my mind, the sooner we withdraw from it, the better. The more the EU turns the screws, the more likely that the Johnson government will withdraw.

The EU needs to be careful not to overplay its hand.

---------- Post added at 01:11 ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 ----------

Quote:
I don't agree with you that leaving without a deal would have breached the GFA. That was EU spin, imo. It would have stirred the pot, somewhat - but no deal is not a breach. The breach would occur if the perfidious EU erected a border between the two. It really should have been chucked back to the EU to sort out.

Yes, Theresa’s plan was never viable in the end. I admit to giving her the benefit of the doubt in the early days, but my judgement was misplaced.

I should have gone with my instinct. Lesson learned!
Old 28-02-2021, 01:32   #517
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It was the only deal on offer, and to my mind, the sooner we withdraw from it, the better. The more the EU turns the screws, the more likely that the Johnson government will withdraw.

---------- Post added at 01:11 ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 ----------

Yes, Theresa’s plan was never viable in the end. I admit to giving her the benefit of the doubt in the early days, but my judgement was misplaced.

I should have gone with my instinct. Lesson learned!
Never viable? It was a non starter that tied our hands during negotiations and ended us being in the mess we are in.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:17   #518
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

That's not an option without a negotiated alternative in place eg GB also joins the EU single market for manufactured goods.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Quote:

WTO membership would require both the UK and EU to erect a hard border on the island of Ireland. That's a fact, not an opinion. Why on Earth did you think that Theresa May and Boris went to all this trouble to negotiate specific arrangements for Northern Ireland?

Quote:
BELFAST (Reuters) - World Trade Organization (WTO) rules are clear that checks would be required between EU-member Ireland and the British province of Northern Ireland if Britain crashed out of the bloc without an exit deal, the minister for the region said on Monday.

“The fact is that the WTO is very clear that if there are two different customs territories, checks have to be able to be carried out on a contemporaneous basis on consignments passing between the two territories,” Karen Bradley told reporters.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1NO18I
Old 01-03-2021, 13:34   #519
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
I watched a channel 4 documentary called the truth about chlorinated chicken the other day, the thing I took from it is if we let it in there is no way we couldn't drop our standards here to compete with them, the practices from handling the meat, to conditions in the factory for cleanliness and opportunities for cross contamination are not things we should tolerate here under any circumstances and that's without even mentioning how the staff are treated
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Animal husbandry in the US is among the worst in the world. Why, even if safe, would we want to promote that?

This is a red herring.

I buy all the food in my house, and I won't buy US chicken even it was 99% cheaper than British.

Consumers rule when it comes to buying, look at the sale of EU items which IIRC has plummeted by 50%+.
Old 01-03-2021, 13:36   #520
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Because of the difficulty with consumers buying with cross-border trading, not goods in U.K. shops.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 13:49   #521
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Because of the difficulty with consumers buying with cross-border trading, not goods in U.K. shops.
From my observation, and occasional discussion with fellow customers, Waitrose is seeing backlash against French products, particularly cheese and wine. I hope that's generally the case. Macron is a bad egg.

Old 01-03-2021, 13:52   #522
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Ouef...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:21   #523
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:

In related news, Sarkozy has just been found guilty of corruption and influence-peddling!
Old 01-03-2021, 14:35   #524
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Sacre bleu!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:53   #525
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

pomfrit Rodney, pomfrit.