Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 14-02-2021, 00:38   #1666
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The rest of us care because you purposely refuse to clearly define concepts that you use almost interchangeably.

This allows you to shift the goalposts, essentially “winning” the argument if one of two set but very different scenarios happen:

a) linear channels cease broadcast over cable, satellite and DTT, but continue over IPTV
b) linear channels cease completely.

One of those is infinitely more likely than the other, but probably still not within your timeframe. I’m asking you to tell us which of the two you mean and stick to it. An answer a) or b) uncaveated would be useful at this point.

Which we know you won’t do.

If you have difficulty understanding either, or the difference, then you’re probably not the best informed person to be making the argument you are and it’d go some way to explaining how we got here after six long years.
Right, I will go along with you Chris because I agree with you on many things you say, but we disagree on this one thing.

The questions you posed were:

a) linear channels cease broadcast over cable, satellite and DTT, but continue over IPTV
b) linear channels cease completely.

I think you are overthinking this. I have always been thinking about scheduled linear channels, like BBC 1,2,4 ITV, ITV2,3,4, etc.

All I am saying is that all that content will be categorised by type rather than by channel on IPTV. Broadcasters such as BBC and ITV will continue to exist.

Why is that so difficult to understand? That’s all I have been saying!

---------- Post added at 00:37 ---------- Previous post was at 00:34 ----------

Quote:
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=1659

Still waiting for an answer other than “who cares”.

I’m calling it a night for tonight as last time you spun it out to 4am with no clear answers and the mods weren’t happy,

I’ve asked clear questions and explained my rationale for doing so.
But..but..you still haven’t answered my post!

I said ‘who cares’ because it had nothing to do with my argument!

Sweet dreams!

---------- Post added at 00:38 ---------- Previous post was at 00:37 ----------

Quote:
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=1659

Still waiting for an answer other than “who cares”.

I’m calling it a night for tonight as last time you spun it out to 4am with no clear answers and the mods weren’t happy,

I’ve asked clear questions and explained my rationale for doing so.
But..but..you still haven’t answered my post!

I said ‘who cares’ because it had nothing to do with my argument!

Sweet dreams!
Old 14-02-2021, 00:39   #1667
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Linear is going nowhere even if everything did go to streaming there would still be linear tv for live sports, live ppv events etc.
Even things like live streaming on twitch or youtube is linear.
Old 14-02-2021, 00:55   #1668
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Linear is going nowhere even if everything did go to streaming there would still be linear tv for live sports, live ppv events etc.
I think the technical terms are confusing the argument.

Nobody is arguing that live TV will not happen. I believe that in the future, live TV will be streamed, just like it is on the BBC I-Player. That’s all I am saying.

And of course, streamed live events are linear! I have never argued otherwise!

But the existing broadcast channels will no longer exist.
Old 14-02-2021, 08:25   #1669
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

So is your answer b)? Nobody, anywhere will schedule content to be delivered in a linear fashion?

Where does Pluto TV come into it?
Old 14-02-2021, 10:20   #1670
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, yes. But the fact remains that another channel has deactivated because on financial grounds it doesn’t make sense to continue to broadcast it. Despite the fact that, according to jfman, it only costs buttons to run a TV channel.

As streamers gain ascendency, you will see more channels go to the wall. It’s all finance driven, one way or the other. Watch and learn.

---------- Post added at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

Er, who cares? This has nothing to do with my argument, at all!
Actual quote
Quote:
Costs buttons to maintain a linear presence if you own the content anyway.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:00   #1671
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

There are currently hundreds of linear channels and a few streamers.

There is plenty of scope for lots of linear channels to cease broadcasting (many of which will not be missed by most), even then the predicted demise of linear tv' is a long way from happening (as is the promise of ultra-fast broadband for all).

Having used streaming services, for the first time, over the past few months I feel they are a long way off in terms of picture quality/reliability and I have a fast broadband service.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:08   #1672
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

OB’s standard answer is "something magic will happen" (not his actual words, but it boils down to that...).
Old 14-02-2021, 11:13   #1673
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Quite. But in the future, linear TV will be streamed.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:18   #1674
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Quite. But in the future, linear TV will be streamed.
Thread title - "Linear is old tech - on demand is the future"
Old 14-02-2021, 11:23   #1675
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

This is why I'd really like to pin down the detail - conflation everywhere.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:33   #1676
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
So is your answer b)? Nobody, anywhere will schedule content to be delivered in a linear fashion?

Where does Pluto TV come into it?
You're going around in circles.

Our traditional TV channels I believe will no longer exist. Instead, the content will be streamed, and that includes live TV. You can watch live TV on the BBC i-Player right now, so that isn't a difficult concept to understand.

The scripted content and other pre-recorded material will be presented by category (eg documentaries, dramas, etc) rather than by 'TV channel'. That is what streamers do now, so again, that is pretty straight forward.

Pluto TV has tried combining the scheduled TV channels concept with streaming, but I notice that they are now giving more prominence to video on demand, probably because they now realise that this is the way most people prefer to view their Pluto content.

---------- Post added at 11:31 ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Thread title - "Linear is old tech - on demand is the future"
I've explained the use of that word on many occasions, Hugh. Five years ago, there were press reports about linear TV potentially disappearing, which is why I started the thread, but by 'linear' they meant our existing TV channels such as BBC1.

I agree the use of that word was misleading, but it was common parlence at the time for scheduled broadcast channels.

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 ----------

Quote:
This is why I'd really like to pin down the detail - conflation everywhere.
Heaven forbid we will start talking details, jfman - you wouldn't be able to cope with it.

Why you are struggling with the concept of TV channels being converted to VOD on streamers is a mystery to me.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:37   #1677
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

Our traditional TV channels I believe will no longer exist. Instead, the content will be streamed, and that includes live TV. You can watch live TV on the BBC i-Player right now, so that isn't a difficult concept to understand.

The scripted content and other pre-recorded material will be presented by category (eg documentaries, dramas, etc) rather than by 'TV channel'. That is what streamers do now, so again, that is pretty straight forward.

Pluto TV has tried combining the scheduled TV channels concept with streaming, but I notice that they are now giving more prominence to video on demand, probably because they now realise that this is the way most people prefer to view their Pluto content.

I've explained the use of that word on many occasions, Hugh. Five years ago, there were press reports about linear TV potentially disappearing, which is why I started the thread, but by 'linear' they meant our existing TV channels such as BBC1.

I agree the use of that word was misleading, but it was common parlence at the time for scheduled broadcast channels.

Heaven forbid we will start talking details, jfman - you wouldn't be able to cope with it.

Why you are struggling with the concept of TV channels being converted to VOD on streamers is a mystery to me.
Far from Old Boy, I sit here with my shiny Virgin 360 box and enjoy plenty of On Demand content from broadcasters who are doing both scheduled broadcast television and VOD.

I'm at a loss to how billion pound organisations like Sky, ITV and the BBC will be unable to maintain this yet plucky upstarts Pluto TV seem to be able to in yours 2025/2035 vision.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:40   #1678
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Far from Old Boy, I sit here with my shiny Virgin 360 box and enjoy plenty of On Demand content from broadcasters who are doing both scheduled broadcast television and VOD.

I'm at a loss to how billion pound organisations like Sky, ITV and the BBC will be unable to maintain this yet plucky upstarts Pluto TV seem to be able to in yours 2025/2035 vision.
It's not a question of being unable to. It's a question of whether it is worthwhile as audiences diminish.

All organisations big and small strip out unnecessary costs to maximise profits and to compete.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:43   #1679
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
It's not a question of being unable to. It's a question of whether it is worthwhile as audiences diminish.

All organisations big and small strip out unnecessary costs to maximise profits and to compete.
So why will it be worthwhile for Pluto TV to chase this audience but not Sky? Sky though their prevalence of +1 channels have already demonstrated an interest in clogging the EPG to pursue a 0.1 rating on the BARB scale. And actually, if there's going to be such a service, Sky would probably prefer to offer it and crowd out the competition in the television market as a whole.

I think this is the crux of your confusion. You don't consider streamers and existing pay-tv incumbents to be in the same marketplace and that customers will migrate from one to the other on the basis of technological change. Actually, pay-tv incumbents are well placed to continue to serve everyones preferences across a range of technologies including streaming.

Last edited by jfman; 14-02-2021 at 11:53.
Old 14-02-2021, 12:07   #1680
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

You sure?

Quote:
Linear TV is live in the sense that we are watching it as it is being broadcast. That’s why it is often described as ‘live TV’.
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...r#post36060578
Closed Thread