Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router Question

Old 30-03-2005, 17:49   #1
hansi
cf.geek

hansi is on a distinguished roadhansi is on a distinguished road
Router Question

I am going to buy a laptop with wireless ability and want to connect it to my PC with 1MB ntl broadban. What make router would be compatible with the ntl home 120 standalone modem please?
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2005, 19:08   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Router Question

Anything that says it's a 'Cable Router'.

Everyone has their own preferences as far as makes go - I have a Linksys router and the current Linksys model is the WRT54G (most of the good e-tailers sell this, inc Amazon) - but you would probably do as well with Belkin or Netgear.

HTH
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 19:31   #3
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi
I am going to buy a laptop with wireless ability and want to connect it to my PC with 1MB ntl broadban. What make router would be compatible with the ntl home 120 standalone modem please?
Any ethernet router, as it will use the ethernet connection on your CM

If you get the WRT54G as recommended, get the WRT54GS as it has the speedbooster technology in it (a bit faster) and worth it for the extra couple of £
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 19:36   #4
Seb
Inactive

Seb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn
Anything that says it's a 'Cable Router'.

Everyone has their own preferences as far as makes go - I have a Linksys router and the current Linksys model is the WRT54G (most of the good e-tailers sell this, inc Amazon) - but you would probably do as well with Belkin or Netgear.

HTH
Couldnt agree more, this router is really good. My old D-link router died last week, so I bought the fore mentioned router, installed it all today, with very little hassle. It was a bargain and havent really got any complaints (so far )
Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 20:39   #5
Tuftus

I use a D Link DI-604 Router with a Netgear Wireless Access Point plugged in to ti with my 120 SACM.

Works very well and for the price is quite well specced up.

Hope this helps...
Old 30-03-2005, 22:36   #6
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I use one of these with my ntl Broadband connection -

Linksys WRT54G-UK wireless-G router - £49.97 at Amazon.co.uk
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote