Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL + Router = Hell

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL + Router = Hell

Old 01-04-2005, 22:35   #16
Mr Wonka
Inactive

Services: NTL TV + 2MB CM
Mr Wonka is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NTL + Router = Hell

The saga continues....

My Netgear replacement arrived today. It's a brand new (as in sealed) WGR614 v5. Latest hardware edition as far as I know. It comes as a very fetching white and looks very Mac like. Far nicer then the v2 it replaced.

It doesn't work.

I've fiddled to death. MAC masquerading, static IP, Dynamic IP, MTU. You name it, it's been tweaked.

Looks like I'm going to stick with the DLink then. It has all the aesthetics of a 1980's Sony Walkman and the build quality of a Goodmans CD Player, but it works, so I can always shove it out of sight.

Some Technical stuff
It appears that although I can view the NTL Gateway IP through the interface the router does not route traffic to it. For instance; I can ping any IP on my subnet (Assuming the PC on that IP is on). So if my IP is 82.3.10.156, I can ping any of 82.3.10.*. Including the gateway. This is the exact sympton that my CentOS system suffered when it was connected. I think that it all boils down to the DHCP client not being able to correctly retrieve the gateway IP and set the appropriate routing information for it. Which is also what my manual tweaking on that system showed.

Who's To Blame
As the current Media channels seem keen on, blame has to be appropriated. I blame NTL. During the upgrades to higher speeds they have changed the DHCP implementation (at least in my area). Causing an imcompatibility with the DHCP client used by Netgear routers (Models WGR614, WGT814) and the version of DHClient used by CentOS (Redhat 4 EL).

What will be done

Absolutely nothing. NTL 'do not support home networks' so it's not their problem. Netgear can only change their DHCP implementation to fit. Which won't happen (at least any time soon). I will keep my DLink, flog my Netgear on EBay and then when the contracts up, consider moving to ADSL.

I hope some of this information will be of help to someone.

Thanks
Mr Wonka

Note to NTL Tech's
If any of this can be confirmed, that'd be great.
Mr Wonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2005, 02:45   #17
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
[/u]If any of this can be confirmed, that'd be great.
Bung me the mac address of the netgear router that couldn't connect

did you try cloning the pcs mac and connecting with this router?
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:56   #18
Mr Wonka
Inactive

Services: NTL TV + 2MB CM
Mr Wonka is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately the Netgears been packed up for selling on eBay. I'm a bit loathed about unpacking it all again since I want to sell it as New. Which it is. For the duration that it's connected I don't have any access to the net either. Which I can't really afford right now.

I was very wary of connecting too many MACs this time around so before the Modem was connected to the router I set it all up to use the primary computer MAC address. As the DLink is currently set up to do. Infact the Netgear was given the exact same settings as the DLink.

Monkeybreath: I'll PM you the MAC address

Mr Wonka
Mr Wonka is offline   Reply With Quote