Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 30-10-2016, 11:36   #796
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
It's amazing how non of those channels have issues on sky just virgin media

Do you know which channels Sky can do and the V6 won't be able to do?

MRS had a problem with that, but by all accounts, that has now been sorted apart from a vey few channels.

I can imagine that streaming to tablets could worry content providers more than MRS (which shouldn't have concerned them at all)
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-10-2016, 12:06   #797
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Do you know which channels Sky can do and the V6 won't be able to do?

MRS had a problem with that, but by all accounts, that has now been sorted apart from a vey few channels.

I can imagine that streaming to tablets could worry content providers more than MRS (which shouldn't have concerned them at all)
Well for defo no sky premium channels will be allowed to download to any tablets. MRS to years to sort but this is now to allow us to take recordings on the go
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:02   #798
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well for defo no sky premium channels will be allowed to download to any tablets.
So VM's main rival is denying access to some of their content via tablets. Shocker!
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:05   #799
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It's amazing how non of those channels have issues on sky just virgin media
Well you can't stream H2 on Sky but can on VM to name but 1 (and it's only in SD on Sky).

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:33   #800
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Well you can't stream H2 on Sky but can on VM to name but 1 (and it's only in SD on Sky).

Cheers

Grim
You can't stream H2 on Sky Go when out and about yet but it can be Streamed around the home within the Sky Q app.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Basically Sky Q allows streaming of your TV channels around the home and watching of recordings in the home , there is however many channels still not available via Sky Go out of home and not all channels allow downloading of recordings.

Over time I'd expect both of these on Sky and VM to become fewer and fewer.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:58   #801
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

I'm sure I was able to watch sky sports on my tablet when I was out of the house a couple of months back?
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 14:02   #802
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
I'm sure I was able to watch sky sports on my tablet when I was out of the house a couple of months back?
Of course you can but that doesn't mean you can watch every channel out of home. Over time I'd expect both Sky and Virgin Media to gradually improve this with the end goal of every channel available in home being available on the move.
Old 30-10-2016, 14:23   #803
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Of course you can but that doesn't mean you can watch every channel out of home. Over time I'd expect both Sky and Virgin Media to gradually improve this with the end goal of every channel available in home being available on the move.
Oh right so it's just some channels not available out of the home? Are these channels sky channels by any chance?
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 14:38   #804
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Oh right so it's just some channels not available out of the home? Are these channels sky channels by any chance?
I'm not sure what's available on VM's TV Anywhere but all the Sky channels including Sports and Movies are available out of home on Sky Go.
Old 30-10-2016, 21:18   #805
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I just clicked on TV Anywhere on my iPad, and was requested to log in (I wasn't last week when I last accessed it).

This popped up - thought it might be of interest.

Quote:
Virgin TV Anywhere just got better

Your telly app now lets you:
- Watch Box Sets on the go
- Stream selected recordings from your V6 box at home
- Control V6 and TiVo boxes
- Set a Series+ Link and record what you love

Ready to explore? The TV you love is waiting for you.
For help, jump to http://www.virginmedia.com/tvaioshelp
On that page it states
Quote:
If you have a V6 box, you can also:

Watch some recordings on your mobile or tablet at home or download them to watch anywhere offline
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 22:15   #806
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I just clicked on TV Anywhere on my iPad, and was requested to log in (I wasn't last week when I last accessed it).

On that page it states
There is lots of info about v6 but not date for arrival, but sky first announced sky q and all it's details on November 3 months ahead of time

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

ARE ALL RECORDED PROGRAMMES AVAILABLE TO WATCH OR DOWNLOAD ON THE APP?
No. Some recorded shows cannot be streamed or downloaded to your mobile or tablet due to rights restrictions. Shows that can be downloaded will have the ‘Download’ button active. Shows that can be watched will have the option to ‘Watch on iPad’ when you select the ‘Watch Now’ button. If these buttons are greyed out then the show cannot be watched or downloaded. There may be some cases where you can stream a recording but not download it. If you cannot watch a show on your mobile or tablet, you will still be able to watch the recording on your TV.

HOW MANY PROGRAMMES CAN BE DOWNLOADED AT ONE TIME?
You can download one show at a time. If you want to download more, we’ll pop them in a queue and they’ll start to download when the previous one is complete. When you select a show to be downloaded, you can choose the quality of the download – basic, medium or high. The lower the quality, the faster you can download it.

WILL PROGRAMMES STILL DOWNLOAD IF I CLOSE THE APP?
No. You’ll need to keep the app open for the download to complete. If you close the app, the download will be paused. It will continue to download again when you open the app and are connected to your home WiFi.

WILL DOWNLOADS CONTINUE IF MY DEVICE AUTO LOCKS?
When you’re downloading a recording, the app will prevent your device from auto locking. It’s a good idea to keep your device plugged into power when downloading though, so it has enough juice to last for the whole download.

HOW CAN I CHECK THE PROGRESS OF A SHOW DOWNLOADING?
Go to My Shows and select the ‘On iPad’ or ‘On iPhone’ button in the middle of the screen. You can see the progress bar, MB and time remaining for the download. If the download is paused, you will see a downwards arrow. Just tap this to continue the download. You can press the pause symbol to pause the download

CAN I WATCH A SHOW WHILE IT IS BEING DOWNLOADED?
Usually No. If the content provider has restricted the show, you’ll need to wait for the download to finish before you can start watching it. (Find the popcorn and get comfy on the sofa while you wait)

WHERE WILL MY DOWNLOADS APPEAR ONCE THEY’VE COMPLETED?
You’ll find them in My Shows in the ‘On iPad’ or ‘On iPhone’ section. There will be an R symbol with a padlock when the download is complete and an egg timer will indicate that the show has been partially watched and will expire soon.

HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WATCH A DOWNLOADED RECORDING?
Once you download a programme you will have a maximum of 30 days to watch it. Once you have started watching a programme you will usually have 48 hours to watch it before it expires. Sometimes expiry times vary between content providers.

HOW MANY TIMES CAN I DOWNLOAD THE SAME PROGRAMME?
You can download a programme twice per household. If you download more than this, you’ll see an error message telling you that the show cannot be downloaded again. You can still watch this programme on your TV. The number of times a show can be downloaded can vary between content providers.

WILL I GET 48 HOURS TO WATCH MY DOWNLOAD IF I START WATCHING ONE DAY BEFORE THE CONTENT IS DUE TO EXPIRE?
No. Downloads are only available to watch before they expire

CAN I WATCH A LIVE OR ON DEMAND SHOW WHILE A PROGRAMME IS BEING DOWNLOADED?
No, you’ll need to download the programme first – or do it later.

HOW MUCH STORAGE SPACE WILL A DOWNLOAD TAKE UP?
When you select a programme to download, you can choose the download quality – Basic, Medium or Best. The default is set to Medium.

Based on which quality you select, it will tell you how big the file is before you download it. To give you an idea, an hour show is around 450MB for basic quality and 1 GB for best.

If you don’t have enough space on your device, you’ll see an error message letting you know you’ve run out of space.

SKY CINEMA & SKY SPORTS
If you’re subscribed to Sky Cinema or Sky Sports, you can watch those on your tablet or mobile with the Sky Cinema or Sky Sports app. Just download the apps, then select the Virgin Media logo on the sign-in page, and sign in with your My Virgin Media username and password.

The Sky Cinema and Sky Sports apps are available in the Apple App Store for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch and Google Play for Android mobiles and tablets. You can also watch online via the Sky Cinema and Sky Sports websites.

You can find out more about the Sky Cinema and Sky Sports channels here

Other Sky live and on demand channels such as Sky 1, Sky 2, Sky Arts, Sky Living, Real Lives, Sky News and Sky Sports News HQ are available to watch on the TV Anywhere app or online, as long as you have them in your Virgin Media TV package.

DO I HAVE TO BE A VIRGIN MOBILE CUSTOMER TO USE THE VIRGIN TV ANYWHERE APP?
No. You just need to be a Virgin TV customer.

DO I NEED A WIFI CONNECTION TO USE THE VIRGIN TV ANYWHERE?
You need a WiFi connection to be able to watch live TV on the app, but on a 3/4G mobile connection, you can still manage your viewing, set recordings, browse the TV listings, delete recordings and more. To use the app at home as an advanced remote control or to watch or download some recordings (if you have a V6 box), your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch will need to be connected to the same router as your TiVo box.

CAN I USE VIRGIN TV ANYWHERE WHEN THE MY VIRGIN TV BOX IS SWITCHED OFF?
If you have a V or V+ Box, you can use the app whether your set top box is on or off.

If you have a TiVo box, your app will still work when the box is in standby. However, it won’t work if it’s switched off. If you have a V6 box, you may also see this message if you’ve got your V6 box switched on but your Hub is switched off.

WHAT HAPPENS IF I LOSE OR CHANGE MY IPAD, IPHONE OR IPOD TOUCH?
If you lose or change your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, you’ll need to download the app again. You'll need to register your new one if you want to watch live TV using the app.

If you’ve lost your device, we also recommend changing your My Virgin Media account password. That way no one else can use your device to manage your TiVo box without your authorisation.

WHAT CAN I DO IF I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE VIDEO QUALITY?
For streaming a recording, live or VOD, the app automatically chooses the best quality based on the WiFi connection. The picture quality for downloaded recording can be chosen if you have a V6 box. If you're still having problems, try chatting with some experts on the Virgin Media Community forum

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

On that page it states
Will there be a v6 mini or another box
Old 31-10-2016, 16:43   #807
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu

I'm following this thread with interest as I've now got a fault on my Tivo which I suspect is a tuner or hard drive fault so I think that a fault call "might" lead to a replacement box. With the V6 apparently around the corner I don't want to do this twice or by having my box replaced now delay the V6.
In short I wish VM would tell us when it's coming as like many others Sky Q is fluttering her eyelids at me with the occasional prolonged sideward glance.
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 16:50   #808
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salu View Post
I'm following this thread with interest as I've now got a fault on my Tivo which I suspect is a tuner or hard drive fault so I think that a fault call "might" lead to a replacement box. With the V6 apparently around the corner I don't want to do this twice or by having my box replaced now delay the V6.
In short I wish VM would tell us when it's coming as like many others Sky Q is fluttering her eyelids at me with the occasional prolonged sideward glance.
Lol, exactly. I cancelled yesterday after 17 years as today is the final day that I can get rid of it due to the price rise.

They. Couldn't. Have. Cared. Less.

They have done all but pick me up and push me into the arms of Sky.

Meanwhile, Sky are picking up VM customers with their deals such as 60% off for five years with no contract.

They are obviously taking a sensible long term view.

I dislike Sky, but when their main competitor just rolls over and isn't providing healthy and effective competition, something needs to be done.

What are Virgin Media offering in return? The exclusive spinning purple circle channel, a prise rise and a new box that will be ready when it's ready. Its almost as if Sky have planted their own people in key VM posts.

They aren't fit to hold the franchises.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 31-10-2016 at 16:56.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 17:10   #809
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salu View Post
They have done, Salu. They said just before Christmas. So just a few weeks to go.

Like you, I am hanging on with our slowing down box, with its hard drive about to give up the ghost anytime now.

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Lol, exactly. I cancelled yesterday after 17 years as today is the final day that I can get rid of it due to the price rise.

Meanwhile, Sky are picking up VM customers with their deals such as 60% off for five years with no contract.

I dislike Sky, but when their main competitor just rolls over and isn't providing healthy and effective competition, something needs to be done.

What are Virgin Media offering in return? The exclusive spinning purple circle channel, a prise rise and a new box that will be ready when it's ready. Its almost as if Sky have planted their own people in key VM posts.

For the sake of a few more weeks, you should have waited. Sky is not for me. I hope you don't regret this...
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 17:11   #810
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

I agree with everything you said, but the 5 year deal is based on your current price as the time, and that's not available to all customers yet. But on all other points I agree, sky told people in November 3 month before a lot of info, virgin tell us sod all

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
They have done, Salu. They said just before Christmas. So just a few weeks to go.

Like you, I am hanging on with our slowing down box, with its hard drive about to give up the ghost anytime now.

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

For the sake of a few more weeks, you should have waited. Sky is not for me. I hope you don't regret this...
Your claiming a few more weeks, we don't really know at this time