Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 30-11-2016, 23:26   #1681
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Quote:
The new state of the art box will be available to existing customers on a Mix bundle or higher, before the end of the year

Does M+ qualify?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2016, 23:41   #1682
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
What's your point?

The current 1TB TiVo has a £49.95 activation fee, and when it was launched had a £149.95 activation fee.
My point is it's rented not purchased.

If they really want a large quick take-up this isn't the way to do it, reading on here and the other on-line reports/reviews the general consensus would seem to be

*yawn* wake me up when they actually announce something that is actually revolutionary.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:00   #1683
mogodon
cf.member

Services: VM BB 200MB & TV XL / Telephone / Tivo / Now TV / Netflix / Amazon / Spotify
mogodon is an unknown quantity at this point

Currently have a Tivo in the living room and a Scart Video Sender to the TV in my bedroom. As there is no cable point in the bedroom, I was rather hoping that the V6 (coax connected) would be able to stream to my existing tivo which I'd move to the bedroom and connect via ethernet. From what I've read on this forum that's not possible.

Unless they're going to be a bit less draconian with outputting TV anywhere to a TV I guess I'm gonna have to stick with what I've got.

Disappointing
mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:39   #1684
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Now that a software update has apparently sorted out the sluggish behaviour of the old TiVo, will the none V6 model still be available for those happy with 3 tuners, no 4K etc?

If so, will it be any cheaper? I imagine they'll soon end up with a lot on their hands.

When TiVo first came out, I remember that they moved the V+ to another room free of charge, so i'm surprised that that they haven't offered to relocate the old model for people to use as a secondary box.

That would require a high amount of man power which Virgin don't have.

I imagine most people will shuffle the boxes round so the oldest gets removed and the v6 goes in the main room
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:04   #1685
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

This article suggests that there will be no 2TB box available at launch.

https://www.cable.co.uk/blogs/2016/1...-announces-v6/
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:11   #1686
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
This article suggests that there will be no 2TB box available at launch.

https://www.cable.co.uk/blogs/2016/1...-announces-v6/
That is one thing if true l am disappointed by OB.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:17   #1687
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

If the plan is to eventually move to the cloud, 1tb could be a stop gap.
That or Virgin see households networking several boxes to increase storage.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:26   #1688
JohnWB
Inactive

Services: Two V6 boxes, 200meg BB
JohnWB is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if the new remote is IR or wireless.

I use a Harmony IR remote at the moment and if it's wireless that would be a pain to deal with
JohnWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:31   #1689
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWB View Post
Does anyone know if the new remote is IR or wireless.

I use a Harmony IR remote at the moment and if it's wireless that would be a pain to deal with
You can use both IR and Bluetooth remotes with it.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:18   #1690
JohnWB
Inactive

Services: Two V6 boxes, 200meg BB
JohnWB is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
You can use both IR and Bluetooth remotes with it.
Excellent, thanks very much for the quick reply
JohnWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:43   #1691
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
That's what I've been thinking. 1Tb hard drive for all the things unlicensed for the cloud like films etc. Then the rest can be content obtained from the cloud. As a stop gap, during 2017 might VM perhaps widen the distribution of V6s so top tier customers get cheap access to a V6 and Tivo.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:02   #1692
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
This is probably what VM want customers to do. By telling us we can connect multiple V6s together to increase storage and watch recordings on any box, they could be hoping we pay £99.95/£49.95 for more than 1 box.

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

V6 link is live on VM website

http://virginmedia.com/shop/tv/v6.ht...pos7_imagelink

Towards the bottom is info on having multiple V6 boxes
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:24   #1693
MisterQ

Well it was never going to suit everyone. Certainly doesn't appeal to me, especially after all the problems the last few years. But all we can do is accept it and move on. Sad to be losing some of the Tivo functionality for the first time in over 15 years but it sounds like Virgin Media will be dropping that anyway before long. Lots of memories, not least the stroppy person on the phone who clearly wanted to enter into an argument that "Home>Thumbs down>Thumbs up>Play>Play>Play" was a "permanent fix" to the go slow problems and that "everyone else believes her and thanked her for it, so why can't I" !!

Last edited by MisterQ; 01-12-2016 at 10:27.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:28   #1694
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Well as you say each to their own views and opinions as if we all felt the same way about things it would be rather boring and rather clone like.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:44   #1695
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

don't you feel that the launch was very understated. mention of tivo seems all but evaporated. Do VM's new owners not want to highlight a rival box? I wonder if VM signed the deal for the V6 before the sale, so liberty are stuck with it for 5 years?
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote