Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Old 19-06-2012, 15:35   #5176
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
I ran the Mens 10K in Glasgow today for the second time. I was faster by 90 seconds than last year despite a touch of the... erm Paula Radcliffes.. with 2K to go.
I did a 5k run yesterday for the first time ever - on the treadmill - managed 31 minutes - my aim is to spend the next 5 or 6 months getting that down to 25 minutes.
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2012, 19:56   #5177
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

We bought it because it was £359 with our discount. We'll get a 10% reduction on the bins as well. There's only the Wife and myself watching usually so it seems good value for money
Not really that interested in 3D at all, just seemed to be a decent 40" TV for the money.
Old 20-06-2012, 17:56   #5178
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
I did a 5k run yesterday for the first time ever - on the treadmill - managed 31 minutes - my aim is to spend the next 5 or 6 months getting that down to 25 minutes.
That's a good start. You'll get down to 5 min Kilometres in less than 5 or 6 months. If it's possible try running outside, it's a lot easier than on a treadmill.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 18:12   #5179
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
I'm in training for my first 5k which I'll then extend to 10k and so on. There are some great apps out there which help. There's a good one on the NHS website called 'Couch to 5k' which uses interval training along with a motivational voice-over coach. It tells you how long to run for then how long to walk etc and gradually adjusts until it's a full out 5k run. I've lost almost a stone since the end of April using mine and I'm aiming for the Swansea Bay 10k in September

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 20:09   #5180
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Go Russ, I'm 5' 4" and having given up smoking (after 25 years) I am now 8 and a half stone and can run for the bus without feeling like I'm going to suffer a heart attack.
Old 20-06-2012, 20:18   #5181
LondonRoad
Inactive

LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I'm in training for my first 5k which I'll then extend to 10k and so on. There are some great apps out there which help. There's a good one on the NHS website called 'Couch to 5k' which uses interval training along with a motivational voice-over coach. It tells you how long to run for then how long to walk etc and gradually adjusts until it's a full out 5k run. I've lost almost a stone since the end of April using mine and I'm aiming for the Swansea Bay 10k in September
Good for you Russ.

There are also handy sport trackers for smartphones that monitor your speed, distance and altitude... good for tracking your workouts and monitoring your improvement.

The one I use can be downloaded to your phone here:
http://www.endomondo.com

I use the free option, it does everything I need.
Old 20-06-2012, 20:25   #5182
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

I've got endomondo as well but what I need is something that tells me when it's time to run or walk. I get distracted very easily and can't rely on checking the time etc. The ones I use have a voice that tells you when to do it, when you're at the halfway point and it has been scientifically produced so the speed and distance increments are optimal and appropriate for the pace.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 20-06-2012, 20:33   #5183
LondonRoad
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I've got endomondo as well but what I need is something that tells me when it's time to run or walk. I get distracted very easily and can't rely on checking the time etc. The ones I use have a voice that tells you when to do it, when you're at the halfway point and it has been scientifically produced so the speed and distance increments are optimal and appropriate for the pace.
I see what you mean. I prefer getting distracted - the runs go in quicker.

I just used lamposts when I was walking / running. Depending on the spacing between the lamposts, I'd run for a couple then walk for one and increased the runs as I got fitter. That plan falls apart if you're using country roads and the next town/ lampost is 5 miles away
Old 20-06-2012, 20:39   #5184
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Because of my ADHD the distraction would mean I'd focus on the fatigue etc so I need something like that - I usually listen to Radio 2 podcasts instead of music so I can zone in on the conversation. The running app works on top of it so it's all good. I tend to run through local villages and towns, fields etc and can't rely on lamp-posts.

It's certainly working, On each session I'm running for a total of between 16-18 minutes which is pretty good when you consider at the end of april I'd struggle to make 7 minutes. Funnily enough the month I turn 38 sees me in the fittest and healthiest shape I've been in for about 10-15 years. I moved to Leicester over 2 years ago and my weight crept up and couldn't shift it. A radical change of domestic situation and lifestyle sees me making gains I couldn't imagine achieving even a few months ago

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 20-06-2012, 23:12   #5185
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Just booked Middlethorpe Hall for Christmas again. Can't wait...

http://www.middlethorpe.com/
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 06:15   #5186
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Just booked Middlethorpe Hall for Christmas again. Can't wait...

http://www.middlethorpe.com/
l hope you have a wonderful time there Cobby as it looks very nice there.
Old 21-06-2012, 14:56   #5187
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

Another shortish dose of vitamin D with a novel and a breeze as soft as a chiffon scarf. It was so nice that I fell asleep.

(And now: the washing to do )
Caff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 17:05   #5188
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Just got back from holiday.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 17:07   #5189
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Just got back from holiday.
l hope you had a lovely holiday Gary.
Old 21-06-2012, 17:10   #5190
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l hope you had a lovely holiday Gary.
Yes thanks denphone. the weather was really nice. and I come back to rain
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote