Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Another Linksys Question for Help!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Another Linksys Question for Help!!!

Old 29-11-2006, 20:43   #16
chrisann
Inactive

chrisann is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Another Linksys Question for Help!!!

Right it now states started..so that is o.k. Funny thing is that I connect wired up and then find the wireless connection and then I can disconnect wire and it stays connected wirelessly. It is so strange. I have turned on Laptop and it has connected wirelessly without any fuss.

I did look at the set up pages for the Linksys Router..and on the Wireless Security page..theWPA shared key had changed to another key..but I didn't know that. It looks like it keeps changing every day. Surely this can't be right can it. otherwise I will have to keep accessing the set up page to check the key before logging in wirelessly. How do I keep the security key for a while. I am now on the laptop wirelessly at the mo so it is working sometimes. But the performan ce I am having each day can't be right can it.

Chrisann.
chrisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-11-2006, 21:47   #17
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately my knowledge is based more about ethernet rather than wifi, so wouldn't be able to help you on this, although I'm sure there's a nice soul around who will be able to help you...
opelfruitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 08:41   #18
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Chrisann,

Normally, with 'WPA PSK' the initial key does not change.

Does your wireless security screen look similar to this attachment?

Also, did you run the commands in my last post? What adapters are you using?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 12:35   #19
chrisann
Inactive

Aragorn Hi Firstly thankyou for trying to help me..it is appreciated.
Today I have logged on to the Laptop Wirelessly first time and not plugged in either...anyway.

To answer the last post from hyou..the set up page you show on mi ne the security mode says WPA Personal next line TKIP then my WPA shared Key number..then group key renewal 3600 seconds. Should I change the first line to the same as you are showing then? The key I was using last week..I had just got to remember but it had changed yersterday to a new 16 bit key.!!!!

I have the NTL Cable Modem connected to Linksys WRT54G Router..I am disconnecting everything from 240 each night but every morning to get back connected I have to disconnect the Modem 240 connector wait 10 seco nds then reconnect before it will find any Internet connection. Is this something I will hav e to do each day.

I also tried the ipconfig /all and net start,,but a black box appeared like a flash with writing on but disappeared before I could do anything with it...!!!!

At the moment I am holding my breath...any further advice would be great.

Thanks so much...Chrisann..
Old 30-11-2006, 13:27   #20
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Yes - WPA Pre-shared Key would be better - this provides good security and doesn't change.
As mentioned in your other thread, I turn off modem router (same Linksys WRT54G) and PC every night. In the morning I just turn everything on and the router picks up the IP from the modem without a problem.(Older ntl100 modem, but shouldn't make a difference).
As was mentioned in an earlier post, you need to have a DOS (or CMD) window open before entering the commands (ie dont put them on the 'Run' command!) - the sequence is "Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK"
Old 30-11-2006, 16:48   #21
chrisann
Inactive

Well I have been on the laptop wirelessly all afternoon...turned the wireless connection off for a few minutes and when I went to connect again..nothing...just says..status Acquiring Network Address. put the security code in again..which hasn't changed..but can't get back on wirelessly..so on desktop wired up now. There shouldn't be this much of a problem every time I turn off and try to get back on again should there.?

As for WPA Shared Key..I don't have that option just Disable WPA Personal WPA Enterprise WPA2 Personal WPA2 Enterprise Radius and WEP.

Also the Windows Zero Configeration which I put to Started..just keeps going back to blank again...Something must be going on but I don't know how to sort it...At this rate I will end up hard wiring the house just to use the laptop..and to keep me sane.. And I thought the old dial up was a pain!!!

Chrisann.
Old 30-11-2006, 19:41   #22
Aragorn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisann View Post
Well I have been on the laptop wirelessly all afternoon...turned the wireless connection off for a few minutes and when I went to connect again..nothing...just says..status Acquiring Network Address. put the security code in again..which hasn't changed..but can't get back on wirelessly..so on desktop wired up now. There shouldn't be this much of a problem every time I turn off and try to get back on again should there.?

As for WPA Shared Key..I don't have that option just Disable WPA Personal WPA Enterprise WPA2 Personal WPA2 Enterprise Radius and WEP.

Also the Windows Zero Configeration which I put to Started..just keeps going back to blank again...Something must be going on but I don't know how to sort it...At this rate I will end up hard wiring the house just to use the laptop..and to keep me sane.. And I thought the old dial up was a pain!!!

Chrisann.
I'm beginning to think this is down to drivers. If WZC is being disabled its because another wireless manager is taking over. I have had problems with drivers for 'cheap' cards not wanting to connect in the past.
Telling us what the wireless cards are and/or the list of services (Net Start) will give us a clue.
WPA Personal is the same as WPA PSK, and the key should not be changing (unless someone is changing it!)
Old 30-11-2006, 19:45   #23
chrisann
Inactive

I cannot get to a WPA pre shared key..it doesn't give that option at all.
When I disconnected today from the laptop for a few mins .and then tried to reconnect to the wireless connection it wouldn't have it..It now says...Acquiring Network Connection...and looks like its trying to connect but whatever I do it won't...same now on the Desktop too...so back to cabling them up.

One minute its o.k. then it comes back with nothing..so I am having to plug in again. The signal strength is excellent but its just not connecting at all.

Is there something I have missed..although I have spent all afternoon on the laptop on the wireless bit.

Chrisann.