Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | getting 360 online

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

getting 360 online

Old 16-11-2006, 23:43   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
getting 360 online

I want to get my xbox360 (upstairs) on the broadband (which is downstairs)

whats the best solution.

I plan to use a bt homehub (if its wireless range/featureset is satisfactory) if not i'll buy an adsl router

as i see it i have 2 (maybe 3) options

1. buy the xbox360 wireless adaptor ? (rather pricy esp as i need to subscribe to live gold as well)

2. run Ics on my desktop (which is next to the 360 and has a wireless card) although i think that might cause some complex NAT related issues due to effectively double natting)

3. If the homehub supports WDS (wireless distribution system) use the safecom cable/dsl router i've got laying around and stick it into WDS mode and then wire the 360 to that (and possibly my pc cus the wireless card on it is a bit funny about signal strengths)

Does anyone know if the homehubs support WDS? i asked when i orderd broadband and they didn't seem to be sure if it did or not
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-11-2006, 12:40   #2
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Re: getting 360 online

i just got a voucher for game to get #15 off the price of a xbox360 wireless adaptor so i'm gonna go get one of those...

i was worried about my signal strengh with the walls/floor in the way but i just put the safecom router downstairs to see what kind of signal strengh i'd get on the dtop and it came up

Signal 1 100%
Signal 2 99%
SNR 100%
Signal Quality 100%

Thats the Edimax MIMO XR card in my desktop which used to get the worst signal of the lot when i had my AP upstairs a few rooms away.

I guess firing the signal up though the celing is easier than sending it though a wall or 2
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote