Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WRT54G Router Security issue?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys WRT54G Router Security issue?

Old 16-11-2006, 15:49   #1
chrisann
Inactive

chrisann is an unknown quantity at this point
Linksys WRT54G Router Security issue?

Please can anyone sort me out. I have connected the Router to this p.c. by Cables etc. All is working but I can't get into the pages to set up extra security etc. So can't go wireless. Tried everything...keeps telling me to go to 192.168.1.1. hit enter etc. but I just get absolutely nothing. Getting frustrated now.

Anyone help at all. Grateful thanks.

Chrisann.
chrisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-11-2006, 15:55   #2
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: Linksys WRT54G Router Security issue?

What browser are you using - does it give any error messages like "The page cannot be displayed"?

Is 192.168.1.1 the right address? What is your local PC's IP? Does it begin with 192 or 169?

Do you have any script/popup blockers?

Have you tried http://192.168.1.1 ?

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 16:12   #3
chrisann
Inactive

Internet Explorer and Alta Vista home page. Comps IP starts with 82 and when I click on to 192.168.1.1 I get a 401 error message and can't go any further...Help.

Chrisann.
Old 16-11-2006, 16:24   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

How is the network wired? The Ethernet connection from the modem SHOULD be plugged into the WAN port (socket on it's own) and the PC should be plugged into one of the four LAN ports (four sockets together).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 16:24   #5
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

If your computer ip starts with 82 then maybe your not on the same subnet as your router.

Your computer should ip should be 192.168.1.x (the x represent an ip dished out by the router)

I would check your connections..
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 16:46   #6
nffc
cf.mega poster

nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
How is the network wired? The Ethernet connection from the modem SHOULD be plugged into the WAN port (socket on it's own) and the PC should be plugged into one of the four LAN ports (four sockets together).
What he said.

Chrisann: How the hell do you have that set up? 82.x.x.x is a WAN IP not a LAN IP. In other words, your PC is connected directly to the internet not to the router. The subnets are different so it's unsurprising it's not going to work.

Dunno what your ISP is... but you have the WRT54G so i'll assume NTL or Telewest. You need to wire up like this:

NTL modem <----ethernet cable---> router <---ethernet cable---> PC

Using USB will not work; you need to switch.

Old 16-11-2006, 19:42   #7
chrisann
Inactive

Well I have all the cables connected correctly..its NTL and the router and modem are working on the internet....maybe I have set the wrong i.p.address when I did the initial set up from the C.D. Should I reinstall this disc and start again....Something is obviously wrong somewhere... The router is working perfectly o.k. but I just can't get into the place to secure it wirelessly.

Chrisann.
Old 16-11-2006, 19:47   #8
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisann View Post
Well I have all the cables connected correctly..its NTL and the router and modem are working on the internet....maybe I have set the wrong i.p.address when I did the initial set up from the C.D. Should I reinstall this disc and start again....Something is obviously wrong somewhere... The router is working perfectly o.k. but I just can't get into the place to secure it wirelessly.

Chrisann.
You SURE you haven't got the router connected to the modem via one of the LAN ports, rather than the WAN port? That would explain what you are experiencing. (As per Stuart C's post earlier.)

A more technical explanation would be if you have the DHCP server in the router disabled, but if it's just 'out of the box' factory settings, this is unlikely.
Old 16-11-2006, 19:49   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Make sure you haven't changed your proxy as i had this problem until i realised i had manually changed to another proxy.
Old 16-11-2006, 20:39   #10
nffc
cf.mega poster

How are the cables connected? What cables are you using?

Old 16-11-2006, 23:48   #11
jehster
Inactive

jehster is on a distinguished roadjehster is on a distinguished road

Have you setup a DMZ on your router?

You've either done that, or just have the modem plugged directly in to your computer in order to get that type of IP.

Have another check of your cables.
jehster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 12:36   #12
chrisann
Inactive

Right here goes. Connection cables...NTL Modem cable into Internet on the Router.... then Cable provided with Router plugged into the first port no.1 on the Router and then into Ethernet connection back of comp. Black cable to 240 volt connection. Both plugged in to Elec. Everything works o.k. Modem and Router etc. but can't get into put any sdecurity on the wireless bit...Tried typing the i.p. address but keep getting 401 error psage coming up in pink!!!!!

Should I disconnect everything and restart from scratch..i.e C.D.software in again and reconnect all cables as told...and see if its works that way.

I did think it was o.k. when I connected via the software on Wednesday...everything worked except any security...No pages came up on the software for it. Or did I miss something.

Chrisann.
Old 17-11-2006, 12:42   #13
nffc
cf.mega poster

I find that hard to believe, but anyway, we'll assume you do have it right.

Can you do this:
- Open a command line by going start > run then CMD
- at the command line enter "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) then hit enter.
- still at the command line - locate the entry "Default Gateway" and then enter "ping <address of default gateway>" and hit enter.
- Then enter "tracert bbc.co.uk" and hit enter again
- Right click a black area of the command line then Select All, then right click again and Copy. Paste it all into a new post.

Otherwise, have you tried turning it all off (modem, router, and any PCs) then turning it all back on starting with the modem, then 30 seconds later the router, then 30 seconds later the PC.

If you're still getting IP weirdness then hopefully ipconfig will reveal why

Old 17-11-2006, 13:23   #14
Dante
Inactive

Dante will become famous soon enoughDante will become famous soon enoughDante will become famous soon enough

Hi, I have a wrt54g and cannot open the config in IE, but using Firefox works fine. So download FF and try that, i know it's not a fix but FF is better anyway.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 13:58   #15
chrisann
Inactive

Right here is what I have just done. Started again unplugged everything...Put the C.D. Software in and reconnected all plugs correctly..followed the software as instructed..and put my password in..it checked the connection and said o.k. Thenit asked if I wanted to go for secure easy set up config..I said yes. It then came up with the page Router Wireless Security Information....SSID: Channel: Encryption: WPA Personal Key: That was all it said..asked me to copy it..which I did. It then said finished..and to register..which I did yesterday anyway. I didn't place Norton on as I didn't want it. Everything is working..but I still am getting an unsecured Network coming up without a padlock on....Any suggestions...There are 2 further networks showing in my area..both have a padlock against them. Don't know what to do now.?

Chrisann...