Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can Belkin F5D7633uk4 be used as a router only with NTL cable modem?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can Belkin F5D7633uk4 be used as a router only with NTL cable modem?

Old 12-11-2006, 16:09   #1
Partha Das
Inactive

Partha Das is an unknown quantity at this point
Can Belkin F5D7633uk4 be used as a router only with NTL cable modem?

I had 1Mbps Tiscali broadband but had to cancel it because of recurrent problems with absence of ADSL dial tone. The problem is not the modem/router or Tiscali's LLU. It is due to my long BT line from the exchange. I can only get 512 kbps ADSL reliably.

Now I am going over to NTL cable.

My question is can I use the router only part of the ADSL router modem (F5D7633uk4) with NTL cable modem? Belkin’s support centre says that, I can, by using it as an access point only. But I can not see a menu on “Use as Access Point” on the router home page (as you would see on F5D7230 models). As I am still waiting for the NTL connection I did not want to go into detailed discussion with Belkin.

Has anybody done this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Partha Das is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2006, 17:41   #2
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone
Re: Can Belkin F5D7633uk4 be used as a router only with NTL cable modem?

I THINK the answer is no - you can't use the router part. What you can do though (I think) - and this is probably what Belkin's support centre mean - is connect ONE PC wirelessly and connect the cable modem to a hard-wired LAN port, thus giving ONE PC wireless internet access. (You'd need to turn off the DHCP function, so the PC gets it's IP address from NTL, rather than from the router). If I'm wrong, no doubt someone will be along to correct me.
by the way.
Old 12-11-2006, 17:54   #3
Partha Das
Inactive

Partha Das is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. NTL is coming this saturday to install the line. Will let you know how it goes.

BTW, do I need to use a crossover CAT5 cable or just an ordinary patch cable between the NTL cable modem and the LAN port of the Belkin F5D7633uk4?
Partha Das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 18:01   #4
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

John your 100% right there... the only way you can do it is switching off the DHCP of the modem/router and use it as an over-rated Access Point. I would see if you can flog the 7633 to say 1 of your mates and get a proper router more use on that.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 18:08   #5
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partha Das View Post
Thanks for the reply. NTL is coming this saturday to install the line. Will let you know how it goes.

BTW, do I need to use a crossover CAT5 cable or just an ordinary patch cable between the NTL cable modem and the LAN port of the Belkin F5D7633uk4?
Don't THINK it matters - most equipment these days auto-detects, so would cope with either.
Old 13-11-2006, 07:46   #6
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partha Das View Post

Standard Cat5 between the NTL modem and the router. And no your ADSL router will not work with NTL, if you look at it the WAN interface is designed for the RJ-11 jack which telephone cables use, not the RJ-45 jack which Cat5 cables use.

You'll need to get a Cable Router.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote