Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Router Help.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Router Help.

Old 12-11-2006, 14:27   #1
Spig
Inactive

Spig is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless Router Help.

I've got a laptop running XP with a wireless network adapter (Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG), I've never used networking before. Last week I got a free wireless modem/router (Edimax AR-7064g+) from my ISP as part of an upgrade package. Following the instructions I set it up using ethanet connection, and now can connect without using my old modem.

I switched on Boradcast SSID and set up 128 Bit encription. I've been trying to connect wirelessly, but my network has only been found twice. Both times before I was able to connect, it couldn't detect my network any more. It hasn't found my network since last night. Now with either ethanet plugged or unplugged it detects numerous other networks from time to time, but not my own. My laptop & router are a foot apart.

Any ideas what I can try or what might be wrong?

Cheers.
Spig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2006, 14:47   #2
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
Re: Wireless Router Help.

Hi and welcome to the Forum Spiq.

What sort of encryption are you using WEP or WPA?

Can you switch off encryption to try and see if your card will see your network then?

You should be able to see it though in your Networks list if you have SSID enabled, even with encryption, so its a bit of a strange one.

Have you tried to reboot the modem and see if the settings are still there?
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 16:20   #3
Spig
Inactive

Thanks for reply. I'm using 128-Bit WEP encyption. I switched it off, network still not found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja View Post
Have you tried to reboot the modem and see if the settings are still there?
I'm not sure what you mean by this, the modem is inbuilt in the router. I've switched the router off & on. Do you mean the router settings I set up through 192.168.16.1? They didn't change.
Old 12-11-2006, 16:29   #4
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

I meant reboot the router sorry i wasnt clear enough.

I don't understand why then that the Network wasn't found, especially if you are seeing others in your area.

Are you SURE that SSID is enabled, seems a dumb question but that's about he only thing that seems to make sense?
Old 12-11-2006, 16:57   #5
Spig
Inactive

I double checked, Broadcast SSID is Yes.

I probably need to see if somebody else can detect my router.
Old 12-11-2006, 17:14   #6
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Sorry mate!
Old 12-11-2006, 17:38   #7
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Did you set up any other sort of security, such as restricting the IP address scope or MAC address filtering?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 17:48   #8
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Did you set up any other sort of security, such as restricting the IP address scope or MAC address filtering?
Wouldn't matter though - you should still see the SSID in the networks list - you just wouldn't be able to logon surely?
Old 12-11-2006, 18:08   #9
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

True! My bad...

Factory reset methinks, then if it's still a problem could be a faulty unit...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 18:12   #10
Spig
Inactive

Thanks for help.

I'll try factory reset tonight.
Old 14-11-2006, 10:27   #11
Vlad_Dracul
Inactive

Services: Dispensing wit and wisdom in so far as I am able . P3 500Mhz/ 2Mb BB when it works,no Tv,n
Vlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spig View Post
Thanks for help.

I'll try factory reset tonight.
A lot of people struggle setting up wireless connections. The problems usually lie in the area of security, encryption and keys. Some people just leave the encryption off becuase it becomes too much bother. You won't do this though will you ?
Vlad_Dracul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 11:19   #12
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Last time I had a problem with a wireless card not seeing my router it was down to drivers on the XP system. Uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling the latest solved that one.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 19:25   #13
Spig
Inactive

Tried factory reset. Installed new driver from Laptop maker's website. I didn't uninstall first though, does this matter?

My default setting is with encyption in place, but occasionally if I'm trying to see if my laptop can pick up the network I disable it for a few minutes.

At the moment, it seems to pick up my network a few times a day, very rarely though. When I try to connect (both with and without security set), I disconnect ethernet connection, then try to connect to wireless network. It says unable to connect, then my network disappears from networks in range list.

I've not been able to connect wirelessly yet.
Old 14-11-2006, 20:31   #14
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Yes - best to completely remove the drivers for the wireless card. Are there any other network adapters (other than the ethernet card) listed in network connections.
Also, it is better to get the wireless connection working (reliably) without any security first, then set the security!
What make of adapter is it?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 20:41   #15
Spig
Inactive

1394 Net Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

I reinstalled the driver for the middle one. I'll try uninstall/reinstall.