Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | DHCP Network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

DHCP Network

Old 10-11-2006, 21:59   #1
inviroman
Inactive

Services: 10 meg cable modem ntl 250
inviroman is an unknown quantity at this point
DHCP Network

Can you re-route a dhcp network address with a switch or hub to connect multiple pc's so if the add is 192.1.100.12 can it spilt it to other pc's if the main router is dhcp?
inviroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2006, 22:18   #2
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
Re: DHCP Network

One of the network gurus should be along, but I'll wade in for now

Switches and hubs do not route traffic - routers do that. I think you're talking about NAT, which is a feature of most routers.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 22:19   #3
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Not quite sure what you mean.

A switch or a hub will broadcast dhcp requests, so if there's a dhcp enabled router connected directly to the switch it will respond to the request.
Hope that answers your question.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 22:37   #4
inviroman
Inactive

its for work i have ip add assigned to me which by the office system and it is dhcp at the main router in the system can i install a hub or switch to allow multiple pc's to be connected
Old 10-11-2006, 22:56   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If it is DHCP, from a router, then installing a switch at some point in the cabling will enable more devices to be connected and each of those will receive a unique IP from the original DHCP server (or router) up to the limit of numbers of devices the server (router) can talk to.

When the NTHW clan has set up LAN parties, we've often relied on just the one broadband router, and daisy chained it's LAN connections from switch to switch to switch, each switch then havin gmultiple PCs connected in.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 23:10   #6
inviroman
Inactive

i tried with a router linksys wrt54gs but it would not work as the add supplied is a 192.168.**.** and could not re route it so what do i us ea switch or a hub i have a linksys ezxs55w will that do?
Old 10-11-2006, 23:49   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

That ez whatsit should work, and the 192.168. type address is probably correct, as that is a loical networking address range. Have a look at the PC that does work and see what it's IP is, all other devices should get an IP in a similar range.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:40   #8
Luappy13
Inactive

Luappy13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by inviroman View Post
Can you re-route a dhcp network address with a switch or hub to connect multiple pc's so if the add is 192.1.100.12 can it spilt it to other pc's if the main router is dhcp?
WTF... err I think you should draw a diagram or be more concise about what you.
d
Luappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:06   #9
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

One option would be to install a router with the WAN MAC address cloned from your PC, and simply let your pc and the others obtain new DHCP IP addresses from the router's pool on a new subnet...

For example

IP to your machine 1.2.3.4 - connect to router

router WAN IP becomes 1.2.3.4 - your machines become 5.6.7.8 and 5.6.7.9 respectively
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:49   #10
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future

Hi, not too sure what you need but I will give it a go,

I have attached an image which shows three different possible topologies.

1)

This is your network at the moment, the pink spot shows your CAT-5 network connection, your DHCP server is in blue and I have drawn 3 PC's on your LAN through a switch. IP details below :

Default Gateway : 192.168.100.1
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
PC1 : 192.168.100.10
PC2 : 192.168.100.11
PC3 : 192.168.100.12 <<<< Your PC

2)

This is as above but you have unplugged your PC and plugged in a switch then plugged your PC and others into the switch.

The DHCP server will then assign additional addresses to the PC's you have just added (This is the cleanest way to do it), IP details below :

PC3 : 192.168.100.12 <<<< Your PC
PC4 : 192.168.100.13
PC5 : 192.168.100.14

3)

Double Natting (Satan in networking terms),

This is as above but instead of adding a switch you add a router, this will be the solution if you need to use the 192.168.100.12 address for ALL of the additional PC's. This would also be the required solution if your DHCP server has a MAC filter or static DHCP assignments (and you don't administer your DHCP server).

For this you would need to add a router (Wired or wireless) and set the MAC of the WAN port to the MAC of your PC. The router would then be assigned "your" IP address and you would need to setup NAT on your new mini LAN. IP info below :

Main LAN

Router : 192.168.100.12

Mini LAN

Default Gateway : 10.10.10.1
PC3 : 10.10.10.2
PC4 : 10.10.10.3
PC5 : 10.10.10.4
PC6 : 10.10.10.5

This is a very "dirty" solution as apposed to "2" but if you don't administer your LAN and you need to use just your IP address to allow asscess to the additional PC's this would be the only viable solution.

Hope this helps, If ive gone off in the wrong direction please post more info re your needs,

cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 13:36   #11
inviroman
Inactive

Cheers guys for the help
I think i should explain it a bit more in my office at work i have only one cat 5 socket on the wall which the main pc is connected to and the ip is a 192 add supplied by dhcp which i asume is comming from the main network in the office i have tried to get more outlets installed but the it dept is very slow and i need to connect 2 more pc's so i tried a router wrt54gs and tried every configuation with no result i could not get it to see the ip add 192 as the ip add in the routers staus page i have one of thease at home which works fine as the ip add is different so the question is will the switch work by connecting it to the outlet on the wall and connect the 3 pc's to it and will the server give ip add to each pc?
Old 11-11-2006, 13:48   #12
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

A switch plugged into the wall socket would have worked fine...
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 20:41   #13
inviroman
Inactive

Cheers i will try it on monday
Old 11-11-2006, 20:57   #14
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by inviroman View Post
Cheers guys for the help
I think i should explain it a bit more in my office at work i have only one cat 5 socket on the wall which the main pc is connected to and the ip is a 192 add supplied by dhcp which i asume is comming from the main network in the office i have tried to get more outlets installed but the it dept is very slow and i need to connect 2 more pc's so i tried a router wrt54gs and tried every configuation with no result i could not get it to see the ip add 192 as the ip add in the routers staus page i have one of thease at home which works fine as the ip add is different so the question is will the switch work by connecting it to the outlet on the wall and connect the 3 pc's to it and will the server give ip add to each pc?
inviro, do you have an IT team, and do they know you are trying to do this? (or are you the IT team ?)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote