Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WR214E port forwarding

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

WR214E port forwarding

Old 24-11-2006, 18:24   #1
eggo2000
Inactive

eggo2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
wireless router port forwarding

Hi all,

I am new to wireless routers, and would appreciate any help you can give.

I have just bought a WR214E 11mb Wireless router for my home network.
I have 3 PC's and a Laptop which all connect using this router.
Everything works ok, but I have a problem trying to access my webserver from the internet.

My router is set to assign static IP's i.e. 192.168.0.55 etc.to all PC's.

My web server is set to port 80088 ( I can change this ) but I dont know how to set up port forwarding on my router.
I dont know the make, I think its a generic one - but I found it here http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?Inv...214E&cpc=RECOM

I tried using DYNDNS to assign a domain name to the webserver, but that just confused things even more !

Whenever I type the IP address assigned by my telewest provider, I get the router admin page.

What I want to know, is how do i access my webserver from the internet ?
Do I put the ISP IP address followed by the port number the webserver sits on, and set up port forwarding ( which i dont know how to do ) or am i doing it totally wrong ?

Cheers,

Karl
eggo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2006, 16:43   #2
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter
Re: WR214E port forwarding

Hi, welcome to the forum.

To simplify things greatly, I'd suggest changing your webserver to run on port 80.

I'll start with the port forwarding. If your webserver is running on port 80 of a machine with the LAN IP of 192.168.1.2 (you can find out by going Start->Run->ipconfig), you will need to forward port 80 to that IP address. This is done by entering the router setup page and going to Port Forwarding (also called Virtual Server in some routers) and adding a new rule (or 'port forward'). You should only need to enter the LAN IP and port, although it may ask you for additional information such as name for the rule.

As for being presented with the router admin page when trying to access your webserver, that's because you have remote management enabled on your router. I suggest you turn it off as a security measure, since you most likely won't ever require it.

Last of all DYNDNS is just dynamic dns - it assigns a domain name to an IP address and can be constantly updated by running a DYNDNS client on the server computer, but this is only helpful if your IP changes regularly, which it won't if you're on Telewest or NTL.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote