Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VPN Tunnels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VPN Tunnels

Old 22-11-2006, 17:37   #1
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy
VPN Tunnels

I want to set up a VPN Tunnel so that i can externaly on any machine connected to the Net tunnel through my router and access my NAS.

I've set up DYNDNS to remove the dynamic ip address issue.

The router i have is a Linksys WRT54GS and my understanding is that it provides the facilty for VPN pass through, however i dont want to connect to a pc on the local network side of the router so wont have anythnig running a VPN client. All i want to do is connect to the NAS to be able to move files around. How do i achieve this with this router, from the reasearch ive done it seems that the Linksys firmware doesnt support this facility but some of the hobby firmwares might. Is this right or am i missing the point?
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2006, 17:45   #2
Badders
Inactive

Badders is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: VPN Tunnels

You might take a look at DD-WRT. It supports quite a few options to connect to/through the router. Check the WIKI. I use SSH to connect to my pc behind the router through a secure tunnel.
Badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 17:52   #3
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badders View Post
You might take a look at DD-WRT. It supports quite a few options to connect to/through the router. Check the WIKI. I use SSH to connect to my pc behind the router through a secure tunnel.
Yes, thats the firmware ive been looking at but the manuals are in German.
Old 22-11-2006, 17:53   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Have you thought about trying a software solution such as

www.hamachi.cc

Has no problems with Routers either.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 17:58   #5
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Have you thought about trying a software solution such as

www.hamachi.cc

Has no problems with Routers either.
How would that work? All that would be switched on would be the Router and the NAS
Old 22-11-2006, 18:09   #6
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

..or get a router that does VPN too - works a treat.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 21:04   #7
Badders
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post
Yes, thats the firmware ive been looking at but the manuals are in German.
But the WIKI is in English.
Old 22-11-2006, 22:59   #8
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badders View Post
But the WIKI is in English.
looks like spanish to me

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...ion_to_linksys
Old 24-11-2006, 15:44   #9
Badders
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post
looks like spanish to me
I suppose it depends on which page you look at but DD-WRT does provide alot of functionality.

I've setup three wireless routers for family and friends and I can configure/monitor them all using PUTTY for the SSH link and then tunnel to the router's web-page configuration.