Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please help with my broken wireless networK

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Please help with my broken wireless networK

Old 22-11-2006, 22:03   #1
crossy
Inactive

crossy is an unknown quantity at this point
Please help with my broken wireless networK

Hello All.
I'm new to this sight and wonder if anyone has the experience to help me with a Wireless problem on my Dell Laptop.
I have an NTL modem connected to a Belkin Router. All was fine when I got the Laptop and then when the batery went dead I never re power up and didn't shut down properly. The next time I tried to connect the laptop, the Wireless network conection was empty. I tried to refresh but No wireless networks were found. I tried resetting to factory settings and that didn't work. I then went into my Dell wireless WLAN utility and saw there was no signal and it said radio disabled. I then borrowed a freinds identical Laptop which worked fine on my network. I phoned Dell and with a lot of arguing they sent a new Wireless card. The Problem didn't seem to be the card... With more phone calls they told me to restart the Laptop and press a combination of keys and when the laptop started up it worked fine. I was wondering why they didn't tell me this in the first place until I got the Phone bill!!!
Like an Idiot I never wrote down what fuction Keys I pressed and never thought I'd do the same thing twice! Well it wasn't me that didn't shut down the Laptop properly this time... It was the Missus!!!
I'm back at square one and I have done another systems restore to no success.
Please could someone help me as I don't want to phone Dell again as Christmas is coming up and I'm skint enough.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2006, 22:06   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Please help with my broken wireless networK

to the forum This combination of keys did it give you and screens to navigate like the bios or anything? if not well im stumped as to what they were

could it be this? http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/8753
Old 22-11-2006, 23:39   #3
crossy
Inactive

crossy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replying so fast.
The First time It happened was a year ago and I don't recall a Navigation screen coming up. Because it was so long ago It seems a blur. Not writing the shortcut keys down wasn't the clever thing I've done.
For some reason Ctrl, Alt and perhaps B or D spring to mind. I've tried this since but it hasn't worked! I tried it when the blue bar was up on the restart.

Thanks for the link, I will try.

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Thanks Zinglebarb.
I took the card out. Restarted the Laptop and closed it down. I put the card back and restarted and it didn't connect. I then tried to press FN and F3 and that didn't work. So I tried to restart whilst pressing FN and F3... Still no connection. I then went to the WLAN folder in controls and went to where it said disabled and then I pressed FN and F3... Bingo!!!! No whacking great Dell bill even if I do feel a .

Your a star Zing.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 23:41   #4
zing_deleted

anytime
Old 23-11-2006, 00:20   #5
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossy View Post
Your a star Zing.
*sigh*

Yup he's our own Ace Rimmer.

*sigh*

' What a guy ! '
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 00:41   #6
zing_deleted