Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WRT54G & additional Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys WRT54G & additional Router

Old 18-11-2006, 09:10   #1
Musicman
cf.addict

Services: Variable speed 10MB BB, Phone & Sky+
Musicman is an unknown quantity at this point
Linksys WRT54G & additional Router

I have had a wrt54G network working for the past two years with no problems.

However I have now purchased a Freecom FSG combined router & harddisk, as I wanted a networked HD. I configured this router up as per the Freecom instructions, giving the WAN port of the FSG a fixed IP address

IP address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS servers: 192.168.1.1

However when I plug this into one of the available ports in my WRT54G, I cannot access the FSG. Though a PC connected will work.

I noticed on the setup of the WRT54G, it can be setup as a Gateway or Router, what should this setting be?

Am I forgetting to set something up on the WRT54G to allow an additional router?

Any advice appreciated
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-11-2006, 10:00   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Linksys WRT54G & additional Router

how big a network do you have? is the Freecom wireless? if so use that as primary router then just use the linksys as a switch by linking up lan port to lan port.
Imo you should only actually have 1 router and a hub or switch.This is mainly beyond my expertise so im sure ill get shot down in flames

Edit read the specs and it is wireless and has good connectivity . Bit expensive but looks good never the less. Why do you need 2 routers ? is the Freecom limited by lack of lan ports? I would still use this as the first router. Then in theory using the second as a switch you should have expanded your lan connectivity wired
Old 18-11-2006, 10:22   #3
Musicman
cf.addict

Services: Variable speed 10MB BB, Phone & Sky+
Musicman is an unknown quantity at this point

The Freecom version I have is not a Wireless veersion, as that version was too expensive, and I obtained a good deal on mine.

Also I am am not that sure how good the firewall is compared to the Linksys, which is why I have not made it my primary router!

The blurb I have read implies this can be done, but I am not so sure!
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2006, 22:09   #4
pujro
cf.member

pujro will become famous soon enoughpujro will become famous soon enoughpujro will become famous soon enough

I think perhaps the router that isn't connected to the outside world should have DHCP disabled in the LAN IP set up? also it should be given an IP address in the range of the first router. Only done this once myself, but I think that's what I did!
pujro is offline   Reply With Quote