Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, (and Pings and Tracerts)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Hotmail: use it or lose it

Old 01-11-2006, 19:01   #1
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age
Hotmail: use it or lose it

Is it still true that if you don't access a Hotmail address at least once a month that you will lose it? Also, are the rules the same for .co.uk as for .com?
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2006, 19:12   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Hotmail: use it or lose it

Rules are the same across all the Hotmail domains, think it's once a month and if you don't use it for 90 days it's removed,
http://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?pr...il&ct=eformts#
Click more questions and then "Why was my account closed?"
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 19:17   #3
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze

its 30 days of no access, the email address then gets 'reserved' but no incoming emails are recieved, i should think urther inactivity will mean account deletion.
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 19:47   #4
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Stop having your mistress email your secret account and have the wife read how you really feel about her.

On a serious note I think Paul is right about it applying to both .com and .co.uk addresses. Not sure on the days grace thou as I like reading how joe bloggs thinks I need help in the bedroom.
Old 01-11-2006, 20:11   #5
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Has this changed or was this always like this? I'm sure there have been times when my hotmail account was not used for months at a time but I still have it.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 20:20   #6
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Thanks. So, it looks like 30 days is probably it.

I set up the account for a relative and I'm not sure whether he will be using it that much. Perhaps I would have been better going for a Yahoo account.

I also considered using one of my spare ntl addresses but, to be honest, I'm a little loathe to let anyone use an account that could cause me grief with ntl if it were ever misused, however unlikely this is.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 20:28   #7
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

I receive stuff in my hotmail account but do not send stuff
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 20:30   #8
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Set them a gmail up instead, a lot less problematic and I think a bit better with its expectations of usage lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmail
What happens to dormant accounts?
If you do not log in to your account for an extended period of time, we shall mark it dormant. After nine consecutive months of inactivity, Google will delete all messages in the account, close it and recycle the username.
If your dormant account is deleted, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to use your previous username again once it has been recycled. Make sure to log in to Google Mail regularly!
Old 01-11-2006, 22:55   #9
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

you have to log into your gmail account every 90 days, or you lose it

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 23:20   #10
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

I love my Yahoo. Perhaps I'm wrong but it does offer me more than Google at the moment.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:40   #11
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

30 days is very short.

90 is reasonable but I think it should be a year.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:53   #12
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Googlemail is POP3 compatible too. Hotmail require some exhorbitant payment per year in order to enable synchronisation with Outlook. The arguement was allegedly to stop spammers, but Googlemail don't seem to have this problem...
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 17:44   #13
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Googlemail is POP3 compatible too. Hotmail require some exhorbitant payment per year in order to enable synchronisation with Outlook. The arguement was allegedly to stop spammers, but Googlemail don't seem to have this problem...
Really? I have always had my hotmail addy hooked up to Outlook Esxpress, and have never paid a penny

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 17:56   #14
Paul K
Inactive

Yep if you have been using OE since POP access was started with Hotmail then you still have it, if you change your hotmail account or wipe your drive and re-install you will lose access to POP as a file is lost from your HD. At some point though they may stop free access alltogether, I know I lost POP access when I had to clean install Windows a while back.
Old 05-11-2006, 19:45   #15
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

I havent had access to Hotmail through OE for ages.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote