Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

[GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Old 01-04-2010, 08:13   #31
twizzle
Inactive

twizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Thank you so much for this guide. Having been with Virgn for a few years I thoug I would try and 'blag' a nice new fast wireless N router and got the DLink.

I was ready for using it as a dog toy until I found this post. It really is a c**p bit of kit....

Any way, your guide worked perfectly and the only extra step I had to take was rebooting the cable modem. Probably because I needed to re register my MAC address with Virgin (?).

Either way, up and running now and amazed at all the nice new options available to me...

Thanks again
twizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2010, 12:01   #32
DemonTraitor
Inactive

DemonTraitor is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzle View Post
Thank you so much for this guide. Having been with Virgn for a few years I thoug I would try and 'blag' a nice new fast wireless N router and got the DLink.

I was ready for using it as a dog toy until I found this post. It really is a c**p bit of kit....

Any way, your guide worked perfectly and the only extra step I had to take was rebooting the cable modem. Probably because I needed to re register my MAC address with Virgin (?).

Either way, up and running now and amazed at all the nice new options available to me...

Thanks again
This so not fair!!!! I would like to know why my router refuses the firmware

is it worth trying the EMERGENCY route????
DemonTraitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:10   #33
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

I Checked my Checksums and I'm definitely getting what I posted at first.
Screens attached to show...

Plus the download links are direct from my dropbox so its definitely the exact same files.
Try downloading again, if your still getting problems I'll dump the files elsewhere for you to try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dlink-revb-factory-webflash.bin.jpg (92.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg dir615d2-revb-ddwrt-webflash.bin.jpg (94.5 KB, 20 views)
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:18   #34
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

Try the following links if your still having problems:

http://www.4shared.com/file/25435883...-webflash.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/25435876...-webflash.html

Or both files in a zip:
http://www.4shared.com/file/25435844...a9e/Dlink.html
Old 01-04-2010, 13:13   #35
DemonTraitor
Inactive

Thanks for the links.

I have downloaded ALL the files again, using CHROME, and IE - not that I am desperate lol

Thanks very much for your help - love you long time!!!!

I will let you know how I get on...

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

Checksums are spot on now

Will flash sometime today....
Old 01-04-2010, 13:50   #36
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Services: Gig1
RainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of light

I followed this guide this morning and it worked fine, thanks. Just to note that you don't need to manually set the LAN IP, subnet etc when you flash over to DD-WRT (step 5).

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

does the job perfectly and saves a bit of hassle.

I'm finding throughput a little unpredictable with this release. My usenet downloads are swaying between 5.5 and 6.1 MB/s whereas on the stock v4.11 firmware I was getting 6.1 MB/sec rock solid. I think I'll flash back for now. Hopefully Tomato will release a compatible version as I love their firmware and find it much lighter on resources (and has better throughput) than DD-WRT.
Old 01-04-2010, 14:11   #37
DemonTraitor
Inactive

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Obviously I had crap files, cos I is up and running with DD-WRT - thank you ACATHLA for all your help, you are a legend.

Now - time to play

Thanks again
Old 02-04-2010, 15:05   #38
Lukea
Inactive

Services: Virgin XXL B/B
Lukea is an unknown quantity at this point

Just changed the firmware all is working fine apart from only beening all to connect to the router over the wireless at a maximum 65 mbps. I was able to connect at 300 mbps before the firmware update.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
You cannot put the original virgin firmware back because no one has an image of it - you can however put the proper DLink 4.11 firmware back.
It's on the FTP dlink site.
Lukea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:04   #39
DemonTraitor
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by electromagnet View Post
forget that last post, just after i posted it i managed to boot into the emergency room recovery mode which i tried before but i did it wrong first time. Now i have flashed to the 4.11 latest dlink firmware although i have an image of the original virgin media firmware too just incase, cos you can actually get it from dlink ftp site ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/Virgin_Media/F...1.00VG_B02.bin
Here is the original virgin image
Old 06-04-2010, 14:49   #40
rnos
Inactive

rnos is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathla View Post
I wanted to put together this to compliment a couple of threads that are around about how to go about flashing your Virgin DIR-615 D2 to dd-wrt firmware. There are other guides about the web - if you'd rather use them then fine

I'm not explaining why you would want to do this so if your happy with what you've got, don't go messing. For those that want to read more about dd-wrt read up at http://www.dd-wrt.com.

You will need two files to do this as you will be flashing the router twice:
1. dlink-revb-factory-webflash.bin
2. dir615d2-revb-ddwrt-webflash.bin

1. Connect to your router via LAN cable
2. Open your router homepage (eg http://192.168.1.1) and log in
3. Select Firmware Upgrade within the Application menu
4. Use the file: dlink-revb-factory-webflash.bin (NOTE: Ensure you use the FACTORY one)
5. Wait about 3 minutes whilst the new firmware is uploaded and the router restarts (NOTE: Do not interrupt this process)
5a. Set your network card to the following IP settings:
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1
6. Open you new firmware homepage (NOTE: this will be http://192.168.1.1)
7. You should have the standard dd-wrt page. Create a username and password and save changes.
8. Select Firmware Upgrade within the Administration menu
9. Select the second file: dir615d2-revb-ddwrt-webflash.bin
10. Again wait until this has finished uploading and your router restarted (NOTE: Do not interrupt this process)
11. Change IP Addressing back to 'Automatic'

You should now have a fully functional dd-wrt on your router. Enjoy!
Remember to run through configuration on how to connect to the Internet and setup your Wireless Connection again.
12. Connect to your shiny new dd-wrt firmware (http://192.168.1.1) and configure to your hearts content!

If you need any help using dd-wrt refer to the dd-wrt homepage or post here and I'll pop on now and then and try to help.
Hi, first post

Just created an account to say THANKS. Instructions worked perfectly on my dlink 615 D2 model which virgin gave me this morning. Upgraded to 50meg.

I had flashed the router from VG firmware to Dlink firmware before following this but all went smoothly.

The default / dlink firmware wouldn't let me lock MAC for wifi only so was glad to see this router supported DD-WRT (my old one didn't).

Much appreciated.
rnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 15:21   #41
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Old 06-04-2010, 16:38   #42
mjpartyboy
Inactive

mjpartyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathla View Post
Do you know what build this is (number and date)?
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 16:51   #43
rnos
Inactive

rnos is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpartyboy View Post
Do you know what build this is (number and date)?
root@DD-WRT:~# softwarerevision

rnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 18:55   #44
TimboUK
Inactive

TimboUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the guide, flashed mine but have a few issues:

1) My (virginmedia) netbook Windows XP and internal n wireless will only connect at 65mbps even with full signal; it did 300 before flashing

2) My vista machine running chrome and IE keeps stalling during page loads and fails to load pages fully when on wireless, the connection does not look to drop and I am 2 feet from the router. Hard wired its fine

3) Wifes xp laptop seems fine too.

I have seen a build 14114 here (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop...=asc&start=240

Anyone running this one?
TimboUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 19:18   #45
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Im not running the 14114 atm - the original build in this thread allows me to run in G-Mode only (as thats what all my clients are) - but the next build I tried removed this option (just gave N only, or mixed) so I reverted back. Going to try the 14114 at some point.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote