Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New software installing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New software installing

Old 27-06-2019, 07:26   #1
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one
New software installing

Turning on the V6 and taking near ten minutes to install. Nothing obvious has changed.

Version 20.9.1.rc2-vmb-11-c68
Old 27-06-2019, 09:37   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New software installing

It's in preparation for Amazon Prime and AdSmart. You shouldn't see any changes at the moment.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 11:46   #3
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Thanks.
Old 27-06-2019, 11:52   #4
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It's in preparation for Amazon Prime and AdSmart. You shouldn't see any changes at the moment.
I had been under the impression the AdSmart system had been implemented already, the ads had seemed to be more relevant for a few months now.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 12:43   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I had been under the impression the AdSmart system had been implemented already, the ads had seemed to be more relevant for a few months now.
https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...rt-partnership
Old 27-06-2019, 13:01   #6
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Ah. I didn't realise a date was given. They had been talking about it so long I thought my perceived changes in ads were an indication. Ta.
Old 27-06-2019, 14:58   #7
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Something which was removed some time ago but is now back in the latest software is the ability to select different video formats and let the tv do the upscaling.

So if you select both 1080 and 2160 for non-passthru options - then the V6 will output in 1080 for SD/HD channels and switch the tv to 2160 only for the 4K channels.

This means you tv will do the upscaling for the SD/HD channels when using a 4k tv.

It does cause most tvs to blank out for a brief time while switching formats - but I can excuse that as my tv upscales must better then the V6.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 20:04   #8
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Something which was removed some time ago but is now back in the latest software is the ability to select different video formats and let the tv do the upscaling.

So if you select both 1080 and 2160 for non-passthru options - then the V6 will output in 1080 for SD/HD channels and switch the tv to 2160 only for the 4K channels.

This means you tv will do the upscaling for the SD/HD channels when using a 4k tv.

It does cause most tvs to blank out for a brief time while switching formats - but I can excuse that as my tv upscales must better then the V6.
Surprised more people haven't commented on this. Because there are lot of posts around where people have previously moaned about the fact that you could not do what you've described. It's been a long time since you could do that on a virgin box.

After receiving the latest update last night I tried it on my V6 and it works now. I can't decide what upscales better though my Sony XD93 or the V6 box, I actually think the V6 does a better job than some people think. Maybe it is just more about what you've gotten used too though. For now I've kept it to the V6 upscaling.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:44   #9
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
I know Amazon Prime is only on V6, but I presume the AdSmart stuff will be on all TiVo too?
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:08   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
I know Amazon Prime is only on V6, but I presume the AdSmart stuff will be on all TiVo too?
I would imagine it will depend whether AdSmart needs the box to do something or it's done at Virgin Media's side of the network. The original Tivos are slow enough they had to change the way the tuners worked on them to speed them up a bit, so they wouldn't add AdSmart if it was going to slow them down again.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:53   #11
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

AdSmart is on V6 only
Old 01-07-2019, 16:47   #12
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

I know I’ve asked this before but I forgot...with sky and virgin controlling the adverts so does that mean during an episode of coronation street you’ll see different adverts compared to your next door neighbour?

Also does that mean itv lose revenue for example and it goes straight to sky and virgin?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 17:16   #13
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I know I’ve asked this before but I forgot...with sky and virgin controlling the adverts so does that mean during an episode of coronation street you’ll see different adverts compared to your next door neighbour?

Also does that mean itv lose revenue for example and it goes straight to sky and virgin?
It won't. Neither would want sued by the broadcasters, they would probably be breaking some law or contract anyway if they did that.
Old 01-07-2019, 17:43   #14
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I suspect that particular slots will be sold as slots with have ad-smart opt-outs.

So you could be a 30 second slot in the middle of Coronation Street - knowning in advance that a fixed number of users will get alternate ads from your own.

If they are told in advance then I see no issue. After all - somebody will be missing the transmitted ad whatever time it airs.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 17:50   #15
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

I could be wrong, but suspect AdSmart is for non-linear content. At least at the moment?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote