Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 19:17   #406
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

There’s a common trick in the sector which is to grow market share, float on a stock exchange and in all the hype initial investors cash out their shares at a hyper inflated price.

The bread and butter concepts of investing get lost: what is the return? Often, to hope someone else caught up in the hype or another large company comes along with a combined stock/cash offer in a combined company. There’s only so many times this can happen before the customer base has to return profits in the form of dividends.
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2018, 23:18   #407
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

The debt Netflix has is staggering, jfman, but so are their revenues and growth. I don't see their growth slowing any time soon, but at some point, yes, they have to make money.

Disney's and the other streamers, are going to take at least a few years to get going, but which time I think Netflix will be in profit and who knows, there may even be talk of dividends.

Once Brexit is out of the way, Netflix and Disney are my primary investment targets from 2019/2020 onwards with perhaps a bit of Apple for good measure.
Old 11-11-2018, 13:25   #408
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Oh I agree the revenue and growth are staggering, but when these tail off prices will go up and much like everyone else it’ll be about how much the subscriber base will take in terms of price rises.

As for investments I’d snap up property in the post Brexit market collapse.
Old 11-11-2018, 13:39   #409
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I will choose physical media over digital anyday.

Case in point I wanted to get Forza Horizon with the VIP pace for my nephew and myself.

But the Deluxe Ed (£60) didn't have a Disc.

So I bought 2 Ultimate Ed at £80 each.

I will do the same again.
Old 11-11-2018, 13:47   #410
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Oh I agree the revenue and growth are staggering, but when these tail off prices will go up and much like everyone else it’ll be about how much the subscriber base will take in terms of price rises.

As for investments I’d snap up property in the post Brexit market collapse.
Yes, Netflix could crash and burn and I recall saying as much a year ago in this very thread, but I'm not so sure now.

For the full year 2018, Netflix is predicted to have 150m customers, currently it's 130m. At the beginning of 2018, they had something like 120m and the beginning of 2017 it was something like 90m.

If they keep growing for a few more years at a rate of 20-30m customers per year and then control their costs at that point, they should be awash with profits by the mid 2020s and will have enough of their own content to offset all of Hollywood leaving their platform, if that happens, as they won't have to pay for all the expensive licensing deals.

If they do crash (a stock market crash won't help here) then simply someone like Apple or Mircosoft will gobble them up.

Just as an aside, how far do you see the property prices falling by? It's something I'm closely watching, as my circumstances might dictate that I need to might need to look out for property deals in the next year or so.

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I will choose physical media over digital anyday.

Case in point I wanted to get Forza Horizon with the VIP pace for my nephew and myself.

But the Deluxe Ed (£60) didn't have a Disc.

So I bought 2 Ultimate Ed at £80 each.

I will do the same again.
But as DVD players stop being sold by the shops and physical media in terminal decline, we will have no choice but to go down the streaming route in the future for all entrainment needs.

Last edited by Horizon; 11-11-2018 at 13:46.
Old 11-11-2018, 13:51   #411
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I don’t think they’ll collapse, and agree with what you say someone else will step in if it ever came to it.

Whoever did step in still has to answer the original question: how, where and when do they turn a profit? You may be right about the mid 2020s, but how much has been invested to get there?

Given all that what’s the chances of plunging tens of billions into the global sports rights markets before then? Zero.
Old 11-11-2018, 15:49   #412
Horizon
Media Watcher

Netflix will have invested an aboslute fortune, but as Reed Hastings has said, they need to become a HBO before HBO becomes a Netflix.

The old Hollywood companies still have an incredible advantage, even at this stage with several decades of tv and films each and all the subsequent rights that go with them, not that they're using that advantage. Netflix has had to build its catalogue from scratch. I reckon they'll have another relatively clear-ish run for the next three years, before Disney and the other Hollywood streamers start to make an impact.

I don't think Netflix will involve itself with sports, but Amazon and possibly Apple, Facebook and the other tech cos, will.
Old 23-11-2018, 11:52   #413
Horizon
Media Watcher

David Zaslav, the boss of Discovery, gave a interesting interview to Variety magazine recently about how he and John Malone see the future of tv going. The interview is also directly related to the UKTV channels thread as well, as it shows what Discovery's end game is in that regards.

The interview includes a audio podcast, so if you get the chance, have a read and listen hear:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/dav...st-1203026976/
Old 23-11-2018, 14:25   #414
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
David Zaslav, the boss of Discovery, gave a interesting interview to Variety magazine recently about how he and John Malone see the future of tv going. The interview is also directly related to the UKTV channels thread as well, as it shows what Discovery's end game is in that regards.

The interview includes a audio podcast, so if you get the chance, have a read and listen hear:

Thank you, Horizon. I look forward to listening to that interview later today.
Old 23-11-2018, 18:39   #415
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post

I'm not convinced Discovery will be a big player more likely an acquisition for one of the big players.
Old 23-11-2018, 18:43   #416
Horizon
Media Watcher

You're welcome Old Boy.

It's nothing fantastic, just Discovery's wish to become King of "quality" tv, as they see it. When they say quality, they're talking about all food shows, all home related shows etc and owning them worldwide on their own platforms. With taking full control of all the cooking/home related channels from UKTV, this gives them complete control of all such stuff as far as the UK goes.

They seem to think their combined offering is a viable alternative to Netflix, Disney and quality dramas...

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm not convinced Discovery will be a big player more likely an acquisition for one of the big players.
Agree.

If you listen to the interview, he's talking about being on Amazon's platform and devices. Read between the lines and I reckon he's hoping Amazon will buy them out soon.
Old 24-11-2018, 13:46   #417
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, little by little, you can see the future beginning to unfurl.

I've drawn attention before to the scrape ITV got into a few years back with the reduction of advertisement placement on its channels.

It seems that TV advertising is now expected to be flat, but on line revenues are increasing.

Seems like Carolyn Mc Call has got it right with her focus on improving the ITV Hub.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/11/...er-online.html
Seems advertising will continue both on linear and connected devices and do just fine contrary to what you'd have us believe.
https://www.v-net.tv/2018/11/23/sky-...tv-can-become/
Old 24-11-2018, 13:55   #418
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Seems advertising will continue both on linear and connected devices and do just fine contrary to what you'd have us believe.
Reality l call it rather then ifs. buts and maybes.
Old 24-11-2018, 15:41   #419
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, it will, for now.
Old 24-11-2018, 15:43   #420
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

And for the next 50 years plus...