Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Virgin Media cabinets in the street

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

The Virgin Media cabinets in the street

Old 21-06-2008, 00:35   #61
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society
Re: The Virgin Media cabinets in the street

Quote:
VM are skint
They have in excess of £185,000,000 turnover per month. Wish I was that skint
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2008, 02:17   #62
beeman
Kiss My Stinger

Services: Virgin VIP package, FREEVIEW
beeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to behold

but OWE around £5`000`000`000 (£5 billion) still wish you were that skint?
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 02:46   #63
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
but OWE around £5`000`000`000 (£5 billion) still wish you were that skint?
Not all that bad for a company of their size.

They make enough to keep giving each other bonuses

Also make enough to do certain upgrades and buy new equipment.
Old 21-06-2008, 06:29   #64
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz2002 View Post
I cannot beleive you can try and blame VM for this. The kids will continue to congregate in the same place regardless of the location of the street cab. VM are skint and they wil certianly not spend £1000's of the little cash they do have moving a street cab because kids meet there. The problem should be dealth with by the police but i highly doubt there is any law being broken if they are just talking and there is no criminal damage or aggressive behavior !

Impz
Exactly, VM have better things to spend their money on, like Samuel Jackson and Mick Hucknall, before we know it people will be coming up with absurd suggestions along the lines of putting cash into the network for upgrades.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 17:24   #65
hardtarget
Inactive

hardtarget is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech View Post
How long has the cabinet been there and how is it is blocking your driveway, or is this a widening of your driveway that you added at a later date.
It was there when i bought the house.
That was years ago but it has started to annoy me now after 10 odd years now that i got my driveway made.

theres enough pace to squeeze in 1 car. thwe cabinet is 2 thirds of the way in the way of the other half.
you can get like a motorbike in but not a car.

an example

--------------------(driveway)
.......-----(cabinet)

(The full stops are cos the gaps arent appearing and the cabinet markings go right at the start of the page)
hardtarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 23:01   #66
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtarget View Post
That was years ago but it has started to annoy me now after 10 odd years now that i got my driveway made.

theres enough pace to squeeze in 1 car. thwe cabinet is 2 thirds of the way in the way of the other half.

an example

.......-----(cabinet)

(The full stops are cos the gaps arent appearing and the cabinet markings go right at the start of the page)
"C'est la vie".
Old 21-06-2008, 23:07   #67
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Then as I said before, you are going to have to pay to get it moved. Just the same as you would have to pay BT to get a phone pole moved, or pay the council to have a drop kerb installed.
Old 22-06-2008, 00:32   #68
hoggie
Inactive

Services: V+.XL tv & Bb
hoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulukimmi View Post
Does anyone have a problem with kids using these cabinets as their night out? I have two of the ******* things outside my house and it drives me nuts with the local kids use them as a meeting place for their 'night out'. The noise of them kicking, screeching and generally be a total nuisance is driving me nuts. VM refuse to do anything about it as they infer I am the only person in the whole of the UK with this problem and basically its tough luck. If there were just a couple of peeps out there with the same problem we would have a chance of getting something done. Anyone experiencing this nuisance????
we had a box at the end of our block of houses that was placed on a field backing on to a neighbours side wall.
the kids used to find it a good laugh to set fire,pee in it and try to destroy it.
they have now moved the box underground.
we lost our services for two days but where supplied with a mobile and given two free months of TV,BB and line rental.
hoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 11:27   #69
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:

an example

.......-----(cabinet)

So you widened your driveway in the full knowledge that the was a big green cabinet in front of the area you were widening it to, if thats the case then no one will be willing to move the cabinet.
Old 22-06-2008, 15:50   #70
hardtarget
Inactive

hardtarget is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech View Post
So you widened your driveway in the full knowledge that the was a big green cabinet in front of the area you were widening it to, if thats the case then no one will be willing to move the cabinet.
who said i widened it?
i fixed it up,
got them red tiles put in making it iinto a proper driveway.
first it was just a messed up area with patches of grass and plants looking like a mini jungle
hardtarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 16:13   #71
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
who said i widened it?
i fixed it up,
first it was just a messed up area with patches of grass and plants looking like a mini jungle
Well if you are going to fight them make sure you have a good lawyer and that you did not need permission from the landowner or council for any work you did. I am not taking sides here with anyone but just make sure your arse is covered if you are going to fight them over it.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 00:08   #72
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
who said i widened it?
i fixed it up,
Sorry if I got that wrong, just from the description it sounded like you had made the entrance wider than the standard 2 metre opening most properties have.
Old 17-07-2008, 19:54   #73
Mr_Burns
Inactive

Mr_Burns is an unknown quantity at this point

I can appreciate the misery that this sort of thing brings - there are a group of kids in my street who are a pain in the bum. Their last escapade was to try and break the LNB off of all of the Sky dishes with a football, with a great deal of success!

VM is under no obligation to apply for planning permission for street cabinets UNLESS the size of the structure is over 2.5 cubic metres (under the town and country planning act/general permitted development) - you'd be surprised how big this is. VM is, however, obliged to notify the local authority planning office of its intention to site new street furniture and its location and the authority can object to the siting of the cabinet(s). There should be consultation with the local authority highways department, too.

If there are two cabinets co-located, it sounds like the cabinets where the fibre-optics change to copper/coax cables (might not be though depending on which cable company it used to be) - not cheap to move at all, and I don't ever think that they'll be put underground.
Mr_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 20:37   #74
Jelly Bean
Inactive

Services: Virginmedia
Jelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really nice

I have complained and complained and complained to Virginmedia and there workmen.

Oh my god the box for my street no longer locks it needs the doors replacing.

The Virginmedia guys are fixing this box at least three times a week were cables have been ripped out.

We have CCTV located there but does this spyware see the vandals?NO way.

Virginmedia upgrade was free?No it was not bills went up.
Jelly Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 19:31   #75
jaycee
Inactive

jaycee will become famous soon enoughjaycee will become famous soon enoughjaycee will become famous soon enough

Re the kids, maybe what you should do is dump a load of those chicken pellets through the parents letterboxes.

Either that, or get a pellet gun. Once a few of them hear the shots and the pellets hitting near their feet, they'll soon find somewhere else to go.
jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote