Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Requesting Help on Cable Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Call diversion - a warning

Old 14-07-2006, 22:38   #1
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone
Call diversion - a warning

I was somewhat surprised when dialing home whilst away on business, to find the call picked up by an adult chat line. On further investigation, I found that 'call divert when engaged' had been set up on my NTL line to divert to said premium rate chat line. As there is only myself and my wife using the line, I can only think this had been set either by someone hacking into the NTL system, or by some malicious NTL employee (or, possibly more likely, ex-employee). I'd report this to NTL and/or the police, except that I have no means of proving the diversion was not set up by ourselves. Just a heads-up in case anyone else experiences the same scam.
Advertisement
Old 14-07-2006, 22:39   #2
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Call diversion - a warning

I would still inform NTL and see what they say
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 02:14   #3
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
I would still inform NTL and see what they say
Too right, they should be able to see from call logs whats gone on, surely ?
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 02:38   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Definitely worth reporting, even if you can't categorically make an accusation - but why would you send to an adult line anyway.

If there is any indication this is more than a one off then by reporting ntl or whoever will have a better chance of tracing the perpetrator and/ or fault. Who knows (flying pigs time) they might even introduce some protection against it happening in the future.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 10:42   #5
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Called customer services, and they asked me to put it in writing. Done so. If I get any response, I'll post here.
Old 01-02-2007, 19:04   #6
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post
Called customer services, and they asked me to put it in writing. Done so. If I get any response, I'll post here.
A long time has passed, did you get a response?
bonzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 21:16   #7
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Yes its important that you do report such problems even if you can't get a refund as the companies are not aware unless you report it! Furthermore, it is fairly hard to set up diverts from NTL's end. So the problem lies between your property and street cabinets.

A similar problem has occured in the Cable London franchise of Telewest shortly before the merger, someone broke in to cabinet and called adult chatlines costing thousands of pounds.

Another problem occured when someone hacked into BT's exchanges in East Anglia and made the calls to premium rate lines and every customer in that area was billed for those calls.

Another problem occured in Colne,Lancashire when a man hacked into BT's payphones and made long durational calls to asia, he was spotted by an engineer several times,the police were called and he was taken to court and was fined by £100,had to pay £79 to BT in compensation and had to pay £65 court costs plus legal fees of £200.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 10:00   #8
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of

I suppose things like that are the cause of "phantom" premium rate calls.

Glad you got a response, and hope you have no further problems.
bonzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 10:33   #9
B3rti
Inactive

Services: Talk Anywhere 400 Landline - Virgin Media 10Mb Broadband - Virgin Media V+ Full Package
B3rti is an unknown quantity at this point

when its as easy as connecting 2 wires together, its inevatable that this kinda thing will happen
B3rti is offline   Reply With Quote