Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 17-08-2020, 18:03   #3121
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

PLEASE
Old 17-08-2020, 21:03   #3122
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s still a government in Scotland acting in the interests of Scotland. If a party won a Scottish election that I didn’t vote for then that would be the results.
I will bite only on this little corner of the absurd views you are spinning on this thread, jfman.

The SNP is not acting in the interests of the Scottish people. Whatever anyone's views on Scottish independence, one thing is undeniable (although I expect that you will have a damned good try, against all logic).

England has the biggest population of the union. It makes the most money by far, and it subsidises Scotland very generously by various means, including the Barnett formula. You only have to look at the absence of that formula to realise how negatively independence would impact on the Scottish people. Add to that the various benefits Scotland derives from being part of the UK and pile on the costs of self government, and factor in the rapidly reducing benefits of North Sea oil, not forgetting the disincentives to entrepreneurism under the misguided leftist policies of the SNP, and you have a recipe for disaster. The fact tbat only one page of the SNP's 400-odd page document making the case for independence covered the financial implications of separation shows very clearly that they do not actually have a clue on how to manage an economy.

Separation from the UK will be nothing short of a disaster for Scotland, and for the sake of its people I hope that the economic and currency consequences of leaving can be properly explained to them by someone they will listen to.

Nobody wants to vote to be poorer, as they say in remainer circles. As an economist, you should understand this.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 21:10   #3123
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I will bite only on this little corner of the absurd views you are spinning on this thread, jfman.

The SNP is not acting in the interests of the Scottish people. Whatever anyone's views on Scottish independence, one thing is undeniable (although I expect that you will have a damned good try, against all logic).

England has the biggest population of the union. It makes the most money by far, and it subsidises Scotland very generously by various means, including the Barnett formula. You only have to look at the absence of that formula to realise how negatively independence would impact on the Scottish people. Add to that the various benefits Scotland derives from being part of the UK and pile on the costs of self government, and factor in the rapidly reducing benefits of North Sea oil, not forgetting the disincentives to entrepreneurism under the misguided leftist policies of the SNP, and you have a recipe for disaster. The fact tbat only one page of the SNP's 400-odd page document making the case for independence covered the financial implications of separation shows very clearly that they do not actually have a clue on how to manage an economy.

Separation from the UK will be nothing short of a disaster for Scotland, and for the sake of its people I hope that the economic and currency consequences of leaving can be properly explained to them by someone they will listen to.

Nobody wants to vote to be poorer
, as they say in remainer circles. As an economist, you should understand this.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 23:02   #3124
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

The exams situation can't have done the SNP any harm - they agreed to use teacher's predicted results some four days ago. The SNP can argue that Scottish children and their parents did not have to endure the stress and mess from inferior English decision-making.

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Quote:
More Project Fear, Old Boy.
Quote:

Nobody wants to vote to be poorer, as they say in remainer circles. As an economist, you should understand this.
You voted to be poorer in 2016 (per the Government's own economists) so why can't the Scots do the same?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 23:39   #3125
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
<SNIP>
[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY

More Project Fear, Old Boy.

You voted to be poorer in 2016 (per the Government's own economists) so why can't the Scots do the same?
As if you didn't know, the situation is quite different as between the EU and Scotland.

In the EU case, the UK is a net contributor to the EU budget, funded from our ability to create wealth.

In the Scotland case, the UK government is a net contributor to Scotland, which has no ability to create comparable wealth to compensate.

'Project Fear', as you put it, is a valid warning to Scottish nats.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 23:55   #3126
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
As if you didn't know, the situation is quite different as between the EU and Scotland.

In the EU case, the UK is a net contributor to the EU budget, funded from our ability to create wealth.

In the Scotland case, the UK government is a net contributor to Scotland, which has no ability to create comparable wealth to compensate.

'Project Fear', as you put it, is a valid warning to Scottish nats.
The UK government might be a net contributor to Scotland at the moment but it's not always been the case every year. With people no longer needing to be office-based and increasing electricity generation north of the border, and potential Scottish EU entry if independent, things may change.
Old 18-08-2020, 00:09   #3127
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
The UK government might be a net contributor to Scotland at the moment but it's not always been the case every year. With people no longer needing to be office-based and increasing electricity generation north of the border, and potential Scottish EU entry if independent, things may change.
Scotland has been a net beneficiary of the Union for practically the whole of its 313 years, with only a minor blip of around 30-40 years, if you assume that all of the proceeds of North Sea oil actually belong to Scotland (which they don’t: there’s no international frontier in the sea between England and Scotland; most of the oil is in international waters anyway; and the share of it assigned to the U.K. is subject to an international treaty to which the U.K., and not any of its constituent nations, is signatory).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 01:16   #3128
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: gif rolf.gif (845.2 KB, 38 views)
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 10:05   #3129
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Scotland has been a net beneficiary of the Union for practically the whole of its 313 years, with only a minor blip of around 30-40 years, if you assume that all of the proceeds of North Sea oil actually belong to Scotland (which they don’t: there’s no international frontier in the sea between England and Scotland; most of the oil is in international waters anyway; and the share of it assigned to the U.K. is subject to an international treaty to which the U.K., and not any of its constituent nations, is signatory).
I don't disagree with any of that.

As I said to Old Boy earlier, the movement for devolution is about the heart and not the wallet and the SNP doubtless endeared itself with parents by taking the right decision on exam results four days ahead of the UK government.
Old 18-08-2020, 10:40   #3130
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Oh, wow! So with everyone working at home now, we can scrap the Barnett formula and the Scots would not even notice! Jeez, nice one, Andrew, I'll get on to Boris straight away...

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

Quote:

As I said to Old Boy earlier, the movement for devolution is about the heart and not the wallet and the SNP doubtless endeared itself with parents by taking the right decision on exam results four days ahead of the UK government.
Yes, I agree the motivation for the Scots is hatred of the English. However, they are also careful with their money - they are renowned for it.

North Sea oil has been a factor in the move towards independence, but that is of diminishing significance as the world moves to clean energy and reserves dwindle. Has the SNP woken up this reality and factored it into their fag packet calculations?

I note your answer to the points I made about the cost of independence, which actually didn't answer those points. 'Project Fear' was a cop out, I expected at least some reasoning in your answer, even if I didn't agree with it.
Old 18-08-2020, 10:50   #3131
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Have you thought this through? Clearly not. How does what you've said stack up against £75 billion that Barnett provides for Scotland? It's been a subsidy (and I'm happy with that because we are the UK) since 1978 funded from gross UK tax receipts.

As to the oxymoron I've highlighted ......

Lots of "may" and "might".

---------- Post added at 09:50 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Worthy of Hugh, Pip.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 11:20   #3132
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I did not vote to be poorer. If you want to believe these 'experts' who time and again seem to be advising the government incorrectly, then you continue to do that.

Most, if not all Brexiteers believe strongly that we will benefit considerably from detaching ourselves from the bureaucratic and monolithic monster they call the EU.
Old 18-08-2020, 11:34   #3133
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Oh, wow! So with everyone working at home now, we can scrap the Barnett formula and the Scots would not even notice! Jeez, nice one, Andrew, I'll get on to Boris straight away...

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1

Yes, I agree the motivation for the Scots is hatred of the English. However, they are also careful with their money - they are renowned for it.

North Sea oil has been a factor in the move towards independence, but that is of diminishing significance as the world moves to clean energy and reserves dwindle. Has the SNP woken up this reality and factored it into their fag packet calculations?

I note your answer to the points I made about the cost of independence, which actually didn't answer those points. 'Project Fear' was a cop out, I expected at least some reasoning in your answer, even if I didn't agree with it.
Wow! How to twist someone's words!

Quite how you converted "devolution is about the heart" to "motivation for the Scots is hatred of the English" says more about you than the Scots.

Just like you want the UK to be Sovereign from the EU, couldn't some Scots want to be Sovereign from the UK, without it involving hatred (I'm a Scot, I don't hate the English, and I don't support Devolution).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 14:49   #3134
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Wow ... two crude stereotypes in one breath. Impressive.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 14:58   #3135
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]
Lots of "may" and "might".
As you know, looking back in time, things are clearer than looking forwards in time.