Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 14-08-2020, 15:56   #3106
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Disaster for whom? You prolly meant Scotland.

So what benefit might Scotland draw from independence in the circumstances you have set out?
Sovereignty and all the benefits this confers.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2020, 15:56   #3107
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
<SNIP>

Control of our borders, economy, not to be dictated to from people we didn’t elect in a far flung city. To escape corruption and political appointees.

I’d have thought the Honourable Member for Wokingham would have been fully on board with this.
I don't know what to make of what you've written.

1/
Are you Scottish or living there?

2/
Is the main Parliament a dictatorship in the commonly understood sense?

3/
Escape Corruption? Is this hastily found link of any use? https://sourcenews.scot/robin-mcalpi...d-to-fight-it/

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 16:00   #3108
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Essentially many people in Scotland see an independent state as a cultural attack on them, and all they have to link themselves to their cultural heritage is the outdated remnants of the British state. Monarchy, House of Lords, various titles of nobility.

There’s zero actual 21st century politics behind it.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Control of our borders, economy, not to be dictated to from people we didn’t elect in a far flung city. To escape corruption and political appointees.

I’d have thought the Honourable Member for Wokingham would have been fully on board with this.
So what happens the first time a Scottish government formed of a party you didn’t vote for, wins power and starts making decisions you disapprove of? Edinburgh is far-flung to those in Shetland or the Outer Hebrides, places that voted No in 2014 and have no great history of voting for SNP representation. What about them?

Your argument may be reduced to ever more atomised degrees of absurdity. In a democracy there are always people who live with decisions taken far away by people they didn’t vote for. The scenario you outlined only makes sense in the minds of those accustomed to talking about “Scotland” as a homogenous mass, and assuming that everyone else thinks the way they do, or would do if given the chance to shed their false consciousness - it’s a common foible of nationalists.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 16:05   #3109
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Sovereignty and all the benefits this confers.
Is this a tongue in cheek remark based on my arguments for UK sovereignty? Or is it plain stupidity?

What means of wealth creation to adequately support 5½ million people and improve the quality of life? The Barnett Formula money they receive is a block grant from the UK Guvmin to allocate the devolved per capita spend in England to the devolved administrations.

If Scotland secedes they need wealth generation to cover this amount. Can they do this immediately?

Btw, OB is the Honourable Member for Wokingham. I'm the idiot from RG41.

Old 14-08-2020, 16:13   #3110
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don't know what to make of what you've written.

1/
Are you Scottish or living there?

2/
Is the main Parliament a dictatorship in the commonly understood sense?

3/
Escape Corruption? Is this hastily found link of any use? https://sourcenews.scot/robin-mcalpi...d-to-fight-it/

There have been plenty of unelected UK H of L appointments under BoJo recently that are a bit iffy.

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:12 ----------

Quote:

Btw, OB is the Honourable Member for Wokingham. I'm the idiot from RG41.

OB is the Right Honourable Member for Streaming.
Old 14-08-2020, 16:15   #3111
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So what happens the first time a Scottish government formed of a party you didn’t vote for, wins power and starts making decisions you disapprove of? Edinburgh is far-flung to those in Shetland or the Outer Hebrides, places that voted No in 2014 and have no great history of voting for SNP representation. What about them?
It’s still a government in Scotland acting in the interests of Scotland. If a party won a Scottish election that I didn’t vote for then that would be the results.

However in the current arrangement Scotland consistently gets governed by a party it didn’t vote for, and actually has so little representation or relevance that it has no incentive to change.

Quote:
Your argument may be reduced to ever more atomised degrees of absurdity. In a democracy there are always people who live with decisions taken far away by people they didn’t vote for. The scenario you outlined only makes sense in the minds of those accustomed to talking about “Scotland” as a homogenous mass, and assuming that everyone else thinks the way they do, or would do if given the chance to shed their false consciousness - it’s a common foible of nationalists.
You may consider the argument absurd, however many, many people (yes and no voters) consider sovereignty as important and to that end that it’s for the people of Scotland to decide their future as and when they please.

Scotland is indeed far from a singular homogenous mass, which makes the SNP polling and electoral performance of 45-50% of the vote even more astonishing that they can capture so many within such a rich and diverse society.

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
There have been plenty of unelected UK H of L appointments under BoJo recently that are a bit iffy.

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:12 ----------

OB is the Right Honourable Member for Streaming.
That reminds me I need to nip into the TV section for a laugh.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 12:58   #3112
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
It’s still a government in Scotland acting in the interests of Scotland. If a party won a Scottish election that I didn’t vote for then that would be the results.

However in the current arrangement Scotland consistently gets governed by a party it didn’t vote for, and actually has so little representation or relevance that it has no incentive to change.

You may consider the argument absurd, however many, many people (yes and no voters) consider sovereignty as important and to that end that it’s for the people of Scotland to decide their future as and when they please.

Scotland is indeed far from a singular homogenous mass, which makes the SNP polling and electoral performance of 45-50% of the vote even more astonishing that they can capture so many within such a rich and diverse society.

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

That reminds me I need to nip into the TV section for a laugh.

Hurry up then because you're boring the arse off of everyone on here with your constant pish.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 15:23   #3113
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:

<SNIP>
Dont you find that all politicians act in their own interests, particularly those at the top?

They try to balance throwing titbits to the public to the extent sufficient to keep them in power. But, imo, their motivation is not the best interests of their country all though they may be advanced to whatever extent by corollary.

My mind goes back to Cameron; in my judgement, his driving force to remain in the EU was to sit at the top table and be influential. Sure, he'd hope to get a good deal for the UK as that would likely keep him in power.

Sturgeon's not much different. She wants to sit at the top table in Europe - she doesn't sit at the top table in the UK as there is no top table.

Simples, really.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 15-08-2020 at 15:26.
Old 16-08-2020, 22:45   #3114
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Hurry up then because you're boring the arse off of everyone on here with your constant pish.
Oh dear. I’ve obviously hit a nerve since you no longer feel like debating.

Poor judgement by Red Card to miss the VJ Day commemorations in his own constituency. Even I, born long after VJ Day, recognise the importance of Union Flag waving events to his cause. He’s let Our Boys down badly there.

It’s disappointing, although perhaps not surprising, that the Conservative Party consider their leader in Scotland to be a part time position.

Last edited by jfman; 16-08-2020 at 23:03.
Old 16-08-2020, 23:20   #3115
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It’s disappointing, although perhaps not surprising, that the Conservative Party consider their leader in Scotland to be a part time position.
It wouldn't be fair on BoJo if they made it a full-time role.
Old 16-08-2020, 23:27   #3116
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Oh dear. I’ve obviously hit a nerve since you no longer feel like debating.

Poor judgement by Red Card to miss the VJ Day commemorations in his own constituency. Even I, born long after VJ Day, recognise the importance of Union Flag waving events to his cause. He’s let Our Boys down badly there.

It’s quite possible that he has notice to work - I don’t know what he’s saying about it but I’d be surprised if, now he’s leader, he continues his refereeing work for long.
Old 17-08-2020, 13:45   #3117
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
It’s quite possible that he has notice to work - I don’t know what he’s saying about it but I’d be surprised if, now he’s leader, he continues his refereeing work for long.
He’s publicly said that if he is First Minister he would stand down from his role as an assistant referee. Nothing about standing down since becoming leader of the Scottish Conservatives.

Could make some of the refereeing decisions he contributes to very interesting as Celtic march to 10 in a row come next March/April. Would he consider the voters in the stands?

Last edited by jfman; 17-08-2020 at 14:55.
Old 17-08-2020, 14:12   #3118
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

“The referee’s a Tory” could become a popular chant from the terraces once the crowds are allowed back in
Old 17-08-2020, 15:10   #3119
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
“The referee’s a Tory” could become a popular chant from the terraces once the crowds are allowed back in
When l was younger and my Dad and bigger brother took me to the football l heard far worse then that.

Last edited by denphone; 17-08-2020 at 15:28.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 16:07   #3120
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I think you may have missed out an adjective between "a" and "Tory"...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote