Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router problems

Old 15-02-2006, 16:15   #1
Mayne
Inactive

Mayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Router problems

Hi

I've been having trouble with my broadband since a week ago and it seems to be something to do with my router. I first noticed the problem when I couldn't play WoW online - yet it had been working fine for months. Then I noticed certain web pages wouldn't load. I decided to bypass my router and plug my PC directly into the cable modem and everything works fine. I can't understand why my router has started causing these problems as I haven't changed anything. Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks
Mayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-02-2006, 16:42   #2
hammered
Inactive

Services: 10MB BB (although it's sometimes only 2MB)
hammered is on a distinguished roadhammered is on a distinguished road
Re: Router problems

It might not have been your router. I had problems all last night with my connection, losing pages, and disconnections from gaming servers. Although I was getting the problems from a direct connection as well... How long did you leave it on the direct connection? Did you do any trace routes from both sides?
hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 16:43   #3
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayne
Hi

I've been having trouble with my broadband since a week ago and it seems to be something to do with my router. I first noticed the problem when I couldn't play WoW online - yet it had been working fine for months. Then I noticed certain web pages wouldn't load. I decided to bypass my router and plug my PC directly into the cable modem and everything works fine. I can't understand why my router has started causing these problems as I haven't changed anything. Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks
You could try doing a soft reset (removing the power for 10 minutes). If this does not work, do a hard reset (holding the reset button, remove power, let go of button, replace power, press button breifly). This will reset the router to factory defaults so write down any vital settings first.

A soft or hard reset will cure most problems. Ive done it myself and it now works. I had problems where the internet dropped off altogether.

NOTE: The hard reset procedure might be different to mine.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 18:48   #4
Mayne
Inactive

I've tried resetting the router, switching it off for few mins etc. Still having problems tho. At first I thought it might be something to do with my connection but as i say everything works fine when i'm connected directly to the modem. I even called NTL who tested my connection and they said it was fine.
Old 15-02-2006, 19:12   #5
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I've tried resetting the router, switching it off for few mins etc. Still having problems tho. At first I thought it might be something to do with my connection but as i say everything works fine when i'm connected directly to the modem. I even called NTL who tested my connection and they said it was fine.

I suggest you try a hard reset. This worked for me as a soft reset didn't work.
Old 16-02-2006, 21:30   #6
Mayne
Inactive

Tried a hard reset and still no joy. Its driving me nuts!
Old 17-02-2006, 17:41   #7
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Tried a hard reset and still no joy. Its driving me nuts!
We could say the router is bust

Anyone else care to suggest a remedy?
Old 17-02-2006, 17:54   #8
bagpiperay
Inactive

Services: ntl
bagpiperay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bagpiperay

I've just opened my new Belkin pre-n router and I want to connect it to my desktop computer and run two new laptops off it.

I remember seeing a brilliant site somewhere which showed pictorially how to connect them up. Anybody know the one I mean or direct me to something like it. Thanks.
bagpiperay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 12:01   #9
Mayne
Inactive

Problem solved!

I managed to find the edimax website and download a firmware update for my router. This has fixed all the problems!

Anyways, thanks folks for taking the time to try and help - appreciate it!