Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit discussion
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 13:53   #2266
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
If Theresa just mentions the five general principals again that won't cut the mustard. There's only so far that the can may be kicked down the road!
We're now twenty months down the line and the Government needs to define how it will square the no hard Irish border situation with striking its own trade deals.
I'm surprised she hasn't asked for your advice.
Old 02-03-2018, 14:06   #2267
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Pretty good so far. Finally saying we can't pick and choose and will lose some things, saying we'll look to stay in some EU agencies (i.e chemicals) and a close partnership in terms of trade.
Old 02-03-2018, 14:23   #2268
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Pretty good so far. Finally saying we can't pick and choose and will lose some things, saying we'll look to stay in some EU agencies (i.e chemicals) and a close partnership in terms of trade.
Seems to be acknowledging the Brexit trade-off; the harder the Brexit, the less trade with the EU there will be. Should hopefully be a wake-up call to some Brexiters.
Still intrigued about Ireland Gibraltar solutions.
Old 02-03-2018, 14:41   #2269
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Great news in staying in medicines, chemicals and aviation agencies if this can go ahead.

The 'identical law' issue is intriguing - will the UK create the same laws as the EU? Not having a central judiciary body interpreting the laws will result in different case law.
Old 02-03-2018, 15:17   #2270
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Seems to be acknowledging the Brexit trade-off; the harder the Brexit, the less trade with the EU there will be. Should hopefully be a wake-up call to some Brexiters.
Still intrigued about Ireland Gibraltar solutions.
I’m sick of telling you, there is no hard or soft Brexit. So enough of the silly ‘wake up call’ bullshit.

I don’t need to ‘wake up’ for no one, because I was not dozing when I didn’t regret voting to leave. May said in the speech.. We are leaving the EU. Freedom of Movement ends. We are leaving the Customs Union and Single Market. Ticks all the boxes to me. But I say again, no such thing as a hard/soft Brexit. Leave won the democratic vote, not this half-in half out nonsense.
Old 02-03-2018, 15:47   #2271
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Would it help if we just called 'Brexit' 'Brexit' and avoid hard and soft Brexit? The question now is what our relationship is with the EU down the line, not whether Brexit should go ahead or not.

So what would constitute Brexit? There are a number of scenarios and I would be interested at what point Brexit is no longer Brexit;

1 - zero trade with EU
2 - trade with EU under WTO
3 - Limited but not free trade agreement
4 - Limited free trade agreement for goods and membership of some organisations (EMA, ECA and EASA as the PM said today)
5 - Free trade including services and membership of EU organisations needed
6 - Customs union
7 - Customs union and single market (EEA membership)

None of these options are staying in the EU. None of these options ignore the question posed on the ballot form. All of these options are leaving the EU.

Where do you stand?
Old 02-03-2018, 16:45   #2272
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I’m sick of telling you, there is no hard or soft Brexit. So enough of the silly ‘wake up call’ bullshit.

I don’t need to ‘wake up’ for no one, because I was not dozing when I didn’t regret voting to leave. May said in the speech.. We are leaving the EU. Freedom of Movement ends. We are leaving the Customs Union and Single Market. Ticks all the boxes to me. But I say again, no such thing as a hard/soft Brexit. Leave won the democratic vote, not this half-in half out nonsense.
I've not mentioned a hard or soft Brexit.
Old 02-03-2018, 16:50   #2273
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think Brexiteers are well aware of the position, Andrew, and do not share your fatalistic views on the subject.

Less trade for us is also less trade for the EU, remember. Common sense will prevail.
Old 02-03-2018, 16:52   #2274
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Bullshit. You said ‘The harder the brexit’. That’s talking of a soft or hard brexit.
Old 02-03-2018, 17:01   #2275
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Bullshit. You said ‘The harder the brexit’. That’s talking of a soft or hard brexit.
Not enjoying Theresa's hard facts Mick ?

Brexit ain't good to bring 'all things bright and beautiful', she's preparing the British public for that, if only for her own political survival.
Old 02-03-2018, 17:35   #2276
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Not enjoying Theresa's hard facts Mick ?

Brexit ain't good to bring 'all things bright and beautiful', she's preparing the British public for that, if only for her own political survival.
Did you miss my post saying the things she outlined, ticked all the right boxes for me...?

I know you like to skip and read stuff that only suits your narrative and spit out your own incorrect versions of what was said, but seriously...
Old 02-03-2018, 17:36   #2277
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

As long as she's ticking your boxes, that's super. Meanwhile back in the real world ...
Old 02-03-2018, 17:43   #2278
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post

Where do you stand?
To leave the European Union in it's entirety. We do not have to be tagged along with them, to do trade, paying rip off membership fees, one of the 10, who do while 18 others in the EU just tag along for a free ride..

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
As long as she's ticking your boxes, that's super. Meanwhile back in the real world ...
We will be back in the real world when we finally leave.
Old 02-03-2018, 17:52   #2279
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Quote:
To leave the European Union in it's entirety. We do not have to be tagged along with them, to do trade, paying rip off membership fees, one of the 10, who do while 18 others in the EU just tag along for a free ride.
Thanks for the reply. Based on my list;

Quote:
1 - zero trade with EU
2 - trade with EU under WTO
3 - Limited but not free trade agreement
4 - Limited free trade agreement for goods and membership of some organisations (EMA, ECA and EASA as the PM said today)
5 - Free trade including services and membership of EU organisations needed
6 - Customs union
7 - Customs union and single market (EEA membership)
and the fact that the Prime Minsters speech ticked the right boxes for you, would position 4 or 5 match your vision of a post Brexit Britains relationship with Europe?

My reading of her speech seemed to suggest an aim for some limited or more free trade agreement and either membership or alignment with EU regulatory bodies such as the EMA, ECA, etc
Old 02-03-2018, 19:47   #2280
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Where do you stand?
Quote:
To leave the European Union in its entirety.
Quote:
Did you miss my post saying the things she outlined, ticked all the right boxes for me...?
Which one do you actually mean Mick?

In her speech today, Theresa May said she would apply for associate membership of the EU agencies regulating chemicals, medicines and aerospace, agreeing to abide by their rules and paying towards them. She also said that European court rulings "would continue to affect us"

Call me old-fashioned but that ain't leaving "the European Union in its entirety."

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think Brexiteers are well aware of the position, Andrew, and do not share your fatalistic views on the subject.

Less trade for us is also less trade for the EU, remember. Common sense will prevail.
I'll leave it to this reader's comment on the FT who sums it up better than me.
Quote:
CETA negotiator
Anyway you slice the "cake", May and her cabinet are effectively proposing to take the UK out of the Single Market and the Customs Union. Which means hard borders for goods, throwing Northern Ireland under the bus, and significantly less fluid access to EU services markets (notably no passporting in financial services). It also sends the EU-UK negotiations into a collision course with MFN provisions in the EU's existing trade deals (if you give X to the UK, you have to give it also to Canada, Japan, etc). It confirms the UK will fall out of the 60+ trade deals the EU has painfully negotiated over the past several decades. Hello, hard Brexit. I thought no one in the UK really wanted that? Besides maybe 63 xenophobic MPs with no grip on economics?
https://www.ft.com/content/547bf9a4-...a-43db76e69936
I note that one of your many wildly optimistic Brexit predictions has already come unstuck - there will be no passporting for financial services so banks in London will now be signing off on the relocation of some staff over the next few weeks.
Closed Thread