Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hitron CGNV4 - Static IP and Modem Mode

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Hitron CGNV4 - Static IP and Modem Mode

Old 26-09-2016, 15:15   #16
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Hitron CGNV4 - Static IP and Modem Mode

Is there any settings for the DMZ? You can shove a router into the DMZ and let that be your firewall. Sort of modem mode without modem mode.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-09-2016, 23:17   #17
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

There is a DMZ function in the VM Business CGNV4, but also if you are on dynamic IP addressing modem mode is also available.

If you have either single or multiple static IP addressing, however the modem mode option disappears.

The Hitron now seems stable with fixed IP addressing. I am on a pilot of the multiple fixed IP address option but the firmware is the same as that used for non pilot users, so should be equally stable now.

The version I am running is 4.5.10.142-SIP-UPC, which has been rock solid, no issues despite many weeks uptime.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 13:28   #18
cdub
Inactive

cdub is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for dragging up an old Thread from 2016 but its now 2019, so Does anyone know if you can yet put the GCNV4 into Modem mode on a Static IP line?
cdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 20:48   #19
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

No it's not possible to put the Hitron into modem mode if the static IP address option is in use.
However for all intents and purposes it goes into a sort of modem mode when static IP is enabled anyway. While it still acts as a router, the DHCP, NAT and WiFi functions are disabled.

So when you place a router behind it the Hitron performs only routing, and you avoid the double NAT that you would otherwise get unless in modem only mode.

I have the service in this configuration now with no issues.
Old 10-03-2019, 17:31   #20
john4ml
Inactive

john4ml is an unknown quantity at this point

I was directed to this forum from the Virgin Media Community forum, and the very first thread I find is answered by the very person recommended over there as The Resident Expert -- CCARMOCK

The last post probably answers my queries, but here's a quick summary :

We got the 350 MB service installed recently, with 5 Static IPs. I'm still trying to get it all up & running.
Tomorrow I'll be trying to setup with a Draytek Vigor router as a second router, by which I hope to run everything the way I want it.

I had previously thought I needed to get the CGNV4 Hitron into Modem Mode to make this work. However I see from your post that doesn't exist with Static IPs. That probably explains why I don't see RG Function in the Hitron setup.

Question : in the Lan setup page, should I see the 192.168.0.x range, or the Static IPs range ?

Also, do I need to wait a while after making any changes in the Hitron before seeing the broadband flow through to the Draytek ? Does the Hitron need a wait time ?

I've actually got loads of questions, having messed about with this for so long getting nowhere. But thinking the above probably zooms in enough to get to the point.

Will appreciate any help, cheers
john4ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 18:05   #21
ccarmock
cf.geek

Hi John - happy to help if I can..... I have the exact same setup - thr 350 Mb/s business service with 5 static IP addresses. I also have a Draytek behind it performing the standard router based services - such as NAT, Access control/Firewall etc, VPN tunnels.

First question - which model Draytek are you using?

You are right the Hitron doesn't have modem mode when configured for static IP addressing. And while it's not in modem mode it's as close as you will get in this setup. In a multi-static mode it will perform no NAT function - your Draytek can do that for you.

In the LAN setup of the Hitron you will see several options are greyed out and configured as your static IP range - usually the first usable IP address in your range will be there.

You will also see a subnet mask of 255.255.255.248 if you have 5 static addresses.

Suggest configure a static WAN address on your Draytek and make it the very next IP address up from the one configured on the LAN of your Hitron.

And set a static default route on the Draytek to point to the LAN IP address of the Hitron.

No wait time needed - this should all take affect and work from the moment you correctly configure it.

Shout if I can help more....

Given it's the same setup I have I am sure we can get you up and running.
Old 10-03-2019, 18:34   #22
john4ml
Inactive

Cheers ccarmock for such a quick response, and that looks very helpful.
It's an old Vigor 2830 - no Voip or Wireless. There's a number of wireless access points across two buildings, and a managing switch for them. I'm hoping the old Vigor 2830 will work for this purpose. Even if it confirms how to do it, maybe I won't get the speeds throughput. But so long as it works, that would give ammunition to convince people to spend money for an up to date Vigor.
Thanks for the hint about the default route on the Draytek.
Will be heading in tomorrow morning, and working on this. Appreciate your help, and I'll post follow up.
Old 10-03-2019, 19:02   #23
ccarmock
cf.geek

Good luck. I am using a Draytek 2960 for this. Claims to be good for up to 500 Mb/s Firewall throughput. Certainly can handle the 350 Mb/s without problems.
Old 11-03-2019, 19:52   #24
john4ml
Inactive

Well that didn't entirely go to plan today .
Can I list the various settings in the Hitron which I think are relevant, and if you don't mind, maybe compare to your settings ?

Basic Settings /LAN Settings : IP Address is the first of the 5 usables
Subnet mask 255.255.255.248
DHCP Enabled
DHCP start is the 2nd of the 5 usables, and
DHCP End is the 5th of the 5 usables.
Basic Settings / Gateway Function : UPNP IGD = Enabled
DMZ Settings = Disabled
Administration / Diagnostics : Ping works to a remote server on the internet
Administration / Time Settings : strangely this is set to GMT +1, but I've not changed this
VMB IP Service : LAN Default Gateway IP : is the 1st of the 5 usable IPs
GRE Tunnel State = Connected
and shows : Your static IP is 94.xxx.xxx.73/29 - which agrees with all other mentions of the static IPs

Firewall Settings : IP4 : No application or traffic is blocked
Service Filter is Disabled
Device Filter is Allow All

If the above all checks OK, I could send the settings of the Draytek.

What's happening is that broadband service seems to be working ok on the Hitron. I can Ping out across the internet successfully.

I connect the Draytek via WAN2. I can Ping from the Draytek to the Static IP of the Hitron (94.xxx.xxx.73). Think I can also ping to its 192.168.0.1 address. But trying to Ping out to the internet fails, both via the Draytek's Ping function, and Windows Ping function.
Trying to think basically here, it's as if the Hitron is allowing connection to its LAN side, but not through to its WAN side.
NB : this was done today using a Vigor 2830n (not the unit I had been trying last week).

Thanks,
Old 12-03-2019, 01:37   #25
ccarmock
cf.geek

Your settings match mine with the exception of DHCP - I have that disabled on the Hitron.
Old 12-03-2019, 16:37   #26
john4ml
Inactive

Hi Ccarnock, thanks for that.
I'm sure I had DHCP off previously, so think I'll continue on the basis that the Hitron settings are fine. For the moment anyway.

Here's my various configs in the Draytek :
Internet Access : WAN2 : Enabled, Specify IP address <next usable IPs>, Gateway IP address = Static IP which is the one allocated to the Hitron, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (maybe I should change that to .248 eventually) : pic attached (d2)

WAN2 IP6 is Off
Also attached pic of System Status (i2)
Ping from the Draytek fails, Time Out (pic j2)

Online Status seems to show the connection to the Hitron is good (pic a2)
The Draytek did not seem to want to accept the Static Route I tried. I entered Destination IP 0.0.0.0 and Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0 and Gateway IP address the 94.xxx.xxx.73 being the Static IP of the Hitron. That would not Save.
I did enter a Static Route for the IP that I'm using for Ping tests. That was accepted. Pic h2.

Hope you don't mind comparing these to your Draytek configs.

I had thought about putting the Draytek into the DMZ of the Hitron. Not sure that would be necessary.

Otherwise I need to assume I'm doing something really stupid somewhere.
And that's two Drayteks I've used, so assuming they're not faulty.
Again, I do appreciate your help here.
Attached Images
File Type: png draytek-110319-d2.png (45.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png draytek-110319-i2.png (45.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: png draytek-110319-j2.png (23.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: png draytek-110319-a2.png (43.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-03-2019, 16:38   #27
john4ml
Inactive

And the last attachment
Attached Images
File Type: png draytek-110319-h2.png (17.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-03-2019, 18:13   #28
ccarmock
cf.geek

Actually I just checked - I have two of these- one of one of the Linux based Drayteks (which does have a static route defined), and one of the DaryOS versions that you have here that doesn't have a static route. So suggest you try without the static route on the DrayOS version.

While it shouldn't make any difference, for completeness I would set the WAN subnet mask to 255.255.255.248 from the 255.255.255.0 you have. Though this shouldn't matter since the two addresses appear on the same subnet regardless.

So where I'd go next to diagnose this is can you try using the routers Ping option to ping the Hitron's LAN IP address (ie the same address that you defined as the gateway.

Also suggest connect another laptop to the Hitron and look under Security -> Device Filter - you should see an entry for the laptop you just connected and for the Draytek. Worth checking the Draytek can be seen by the Hitron. These should be listed in the 'Connected devices' section.
Old 12-03-2019, 18:50   #29
john4ml
Inactive

Thanks Ccarmock. I might make it over there tomorrow, if not the day after.
Yes, I'll try everything you've suggested here. I've got an old laptop in the loft, so that's fine as well.

I'm sure I did try pinging the Hitron from the Draytek. But will run that test.
Also ref connected devices, I will try that too. Quite sure I've seen the Draytek listed there, but will test to be sure.
So it's likely to be late tomorrow at the earliest before I post back again. Thanks in the meantime.
Old 20-03-2019, 08:55   #30
CSS1978
Inactive

CSS1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

First post on CF,

I'm currently running the Hitron CGNV4 with 13 static Ip's and it's in modem mode, also I'm using a Draytek 3900 Firewall/Router, it took a little working out but I got it configured, I can access the modem from with in the lan, one thing I did find is the Hitron modem/routers firewall still applies rules so this can block traffic, so in my case I've a vpn setup, when I got VMB I lost access to the VPN, were as on BT FTTC using a Draytek V130 modem plus 3900 Firewall/Router was fine, if anyone needs help/screenshots let me know and I'm happy to provide
CSS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote