Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Universal Credit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Ballcock valve not switching off due to limescale

Old 01-01-2019, 15:30   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Ballcock valve not switching off due to limescale

Calling everyone whos experienced in plumbing!

The Ballcock valve is not switching off due to limescale(i think) causing it to overflow.

Based on the picture could anyone give me any advice what i need to do to fix this and if they know what kind of valve it is before i call in a plumber as i don't like messing with water?

I am kind of hoping i can easily unscrew something remove a limescale deposit to fix it easily.

Thanks for any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190101_141254.jpg (201.6 KB, 72 views)
Old 01-01-2019, 15:35   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Ballcock valve not switching off due to limescale

You can get a renovation kit from the likes of B&Q for these valves. You'll need to turn off the water at the main stopcock. Otherwise it's fairly straight forward to undo the parts and replace as needed whilst removing scale.

We have the same limescale problems down here as our water comes from the chalk aquifer under the town.
Old 01-01-2019, 15:50   #3
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Turn off the water (connected either by a blind valve [one quarter turn] or a ball valve.. leaver) then flush the loo. if the rubber diaphragm located in the blue housing is broken this needs to be replaced. It is a very easy job to do.

Take out the plastic pin which holds the floating ball in-situ unscrew the blue (left in your pic) screw, extract the rubber or plastic diaphragm and use Viakil anti-scale, spray this every where there is lime-scale leave for half an hour, and wipe up all lime scale.

Put back in reverse order.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 15:53   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

This has nothing to do with limescale no matter whatever any plumber has said. It is wear on the rubber diaphram that controls the valve.

Not exactly but the same basis.(they do wear out)

BTW a cycle repair patch across the centre works a treat.

Last edited by pip08456; 01-01-2019 at 15:57.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 16:31   #5
richard s
Permanently Banned

richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Yes but lime-scale can also keep the valve in an open or closed position due to the spring behind the diaphragm being clogged-up. Its a Bar-Steward.

As I already have stated if the seal is Knackered then replace it!!!!!

Last edited by richard s; 01-01-2019 at 16:47. Reason: more info
Old 01-01-2019, 16:48   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Yes but lime-scale can also keep the valve in an open or closed position. Its a Bar-Steward.

As I already have stated if the seal is Knackered then replace it!!!!!
If the seal is knackered then it is not limescale. If there is limescale keeping the valve open then just clean the valve.

What I posted was to replace the diaphram which looking at the photo posted I know from experience is the problem.

If the OP wishes to buy a new valve I have no problem with that, its his choice. He could just as easily and cheaper buy a new diaphram. His choice, not mine or yours.
Old 01-01-2019, 17:13   #7
richard s
Permanently Banned

Just trying to help heero not to be lectured by you. I know from experience as I am a plumber.
Old 01-01-2019, 17:14   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Thanks for all the help i will keep it all in mind for when i find time to mess with it, too tired now and work tomorrow!

shame i cant just bend the ballcock arm up a little bit as i think that would put a little more pressure on the switch just enough to stop it dripping.
Old 01-01-2019, 17:16   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Water off, flush to empty, then take it all apart and soak in vinegar or similar weak acid.

Reassemble and test.

Or get a replacement for under a fiver.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 17:38   #10
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Water off, flush to empty, then take it all apart and soak in vinegar or similar weak acid.

Reassemble and test.

Or get a replacement for under a fiver.
When i have more time i think i will do as Richard suggested to see if the rubber thing is damaged or limescaled up as i need to find some tools first.

When you say i can buy a replacement for £5 is that just the ballcock arm attachment and can you link to it on Homebase, i am hoping for an exact replacement to make it easier?

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Is this what i would need to replace the part in question if i can't sort the rubber out?

https://www.homebase.co.uk/side-entr...-valve_p375849

Or maybe this.... i need to be able to unscrew and replace, job done?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/opella-si...e-part-3/88427

Last edited by SnoopZ; 01-01-2019 at 17:42.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 17:42   #11
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Just trying to help heero not to be lectured by you. I know from experience as I am a plumber.
Old 01-01-2019, 18:16   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

some times I've ues coke to disolve it.

But I've used Sarsons vinegar (the one that comes in a spray bottle) to target areas
Old 01-01-2019, 19:29   #13
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Also a squirt of WD40 on any metal parts can help.

We had a similar but different problem where the flush was sticking leaving it in a permanent state of flush. WD40 stopped the spring inside the dual flush sticking.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 23:01   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Also a squirt of WD40 on any metal parts can help.

We had a similar but different problem where the flush was sticking leaving it in a permanent state of flush. WD40 stopped the spring inside the dual flush sticking.
There are no metal parts in the valve posted. There is no need for vinegar or any other method suggested.

The diaphram has a hole in it and I don't care what the rip off plumber has said it only needs a replacement diaphram.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:33   #15
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
When you say i can buy a replacement for £5 is that just the ballcock arm attachment and can you link to it on Homebase, i am hoping for an exact replacement to make it easier?

The assembly has to be compatible with the float you have, or you'll have to buy another float.

Plus I think your is a bottom entry type, not side entry. Is the water pipe connection below the cistern tank?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote